These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

LED Par Lights

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
Jaykie
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 3.01
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jaykie

LED Par Lights

Post by Jaykie »

This is from the old forum
Cantyco
Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

Currently i have masses of par cans, and considering changing some onto dmx led par cans, becuase less power required, and can dump my big flight cases full of dimmers, well slim it down a bit..

I want to know other peoples opionion's on led par lights? best make and version's, which ones work best with freestyler etc,...smile/eek.gif

i'm mainly working with bands, and a few shows, i'll deffently be keeping normal par's but starting to see the advantage of having a few of these in my rig.

Whats peoples experience of these?

thanks

DJ Support
Personnaly i love them and my 1 Can is very bright! although the light up walls and equipment better when the walls and equipment are white they also create nice effects in smoke visible from a short distance (i.e. you wont see much off an effect but from a distance they look great like coloured clouds!) all LED Par cans should work fine in freestyler as there very basic infact you will probably have to build a fixture file for any you buy as there are so many out there but there realy simple to make.

Cantyco
Do most of them have an intentsity channel?

i was looking at the starville ones, it said it had 5 channels but i couldn't find out what the channels are, had a quick look on google but couldn't find the channel layout

(http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led ... a60379be11)

anybody got these particualr ones, whats the 5 channels? i know what 3 of them will be RGB

DJ Support
i dont have that one but mine has six channels R G and B an intensity channel a strobe channel and a channel that gives like the macros... i.e. a colour scroll and sound to light etc the strobes amazingly fast too

Cantyco
what light do you have then dj support? sounds an interesting version lol....

Mattotone
I have the stairville par56 version, the 5 channels on mine are.
ch1 function I.E pre made colour sequences, and manual RGB mode
ch2 - 4 RGB
ch5 is the speed control for programmed sequences.

Cantyco
are the starvile any good?

Mattotone
For the money you can't complain.
There obviously not as bright as traditional cans, but i was very surprised at there output, they are actually really bright.
They have good colour mixing for the darker colours, not so good at yellows and white.

The only thing that annoyed me about them is that they do not have any master/slave programming.
And the power cable is short.

They do not suffer from flicker when dimming colour channels like some of the more expensive led products do.

they don't have a strobe or dimmer, i set my fixture file as a dimmer with RGB colour channels so the intercity works, and i programmed a 2 scene chase to flash them like a strobe and that also works well.

kind regards

Oh and iv uploaded a few photos of them in the pics & movies thread.

Cantyco
thanks guys this is all very helpful.

I'm guessing without a dimmer channel i guess it has to flick through all the colors to get to a turned off light? is that correct, might be sounding dumb now.

Just wondering if this is a noticable from like one color to off?

Just trying to get a good idea of all the facts really

Mattotone
not having a dimmer isnt really a problem, if you have green channel up, and bring half way down its still green just darker. so to fade to black you just move the channels down together at the same rate, therefore keeping the same colour and fading to black.
but if you create your fixture and then click the fixture is dimmer, freestyler fades all channels so can use the master intercity in freestyler.

DJ Support
mine was brought from showtec allthough they dont seem to sell them anymore its a par 56 156 LEDS its a great light but needs some friends!

Mattotone
im also a member of this forum for Pro Audio.
And there has been some discussions on LED lighting, with some comparisons.

Worth a look.
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.p ... 196/18335/

Cantyco
Hi Thanks,

I'll give this a good read throught tomorrow...

Jaykie
Anyone has an idea about what minimum LUX values you would want to have? I saw some nice led parcans at a site which had these values:
red 200 Lux, Green 210 Lux, blue 330 Lux and white 600 Lux
Is this enough for small sized party's(about 50-60 people in a let's say a 5 by 5 meter room) if you would have 4 of 'em? Dunno if anyone has an idea but can always try :P

matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Re: LED Par Lights

Post by matt »

I think that led pars are the way to go. There is no mait. cost on them. No Bulbs to replace!!! also you don't need Dimmers for every one too. You do need more DMX lines.... But thats why you get short 6footers or 3footers. The nice thing about the Chauvet Color Splash JR, is that you can daisy chain the power cords. they have in and out on them. Also. No More GELS!!!
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
cantyco
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 2.96h

Post by cantyco »

Just finaly ordered some of these things, gone for the STAIRVILLE ones just simply because cheaper and needed a few of them. . . i'll let you know what i think ones they have arrived.

to save me re-creating anything that already exists, could someone send me there fixture file? otherwise i'll try make my own and post it in the correct forum as well lol (opps).

I think the par56 one in the user uploads should do the same trick i would think because thats also 5 channels i'kk give that a go if nobody has the par 64 version made up..
Jaykie
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 3.01
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jaykie

Post by Jaykie »

I've bought 2 LED par 56 cans from showtec, to see how they work, and I love them!! Only the white and very light colors aren´t that nice, but I´m using darker and more true colors more often anyway!
cantyco
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 2.96h

Post by cantyco »

Just made my second order of another lot of the starville LED par 64's.

For the cost they are wonderful little units. the only real downside is the short cables, but a quick re-wire with longer cables they are great, they are less bright then the more expensive ones but get what you pay for.

the main problem with that saying "you get what you pay for" is, freestyler is free but its a wonderful peice of software . :D

:fs:

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”