These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

How to use MIDI properly with buttons

Questions regarding general external control forum.
apprenti bidouille
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8

How to use MIDI properly with buttons

Post by apprenti bidouille »

Hello !

I would like to use my Novation Zero SL MK II with freestyler... But I have small problems..

I want to use buttons to trigger my sequences. It works but I have problem with the LED feedback...
In fact, if I understood it well, Freestyler memorizes a MIDI note and velocity level. It expects this exact combination to trigger on AND off the sequence.
On my interface, I can specify how i want my buttons to react :
Normal : Pressing the button plays the note indefinetely.
Toggle : I can alternate between two values (typically 0 and 127)
Momentary : The note is played only when I press the button.

Momentary would be the best mode I think. But then, the LED button only gets lit the moment I press the button... and switches off the moment after, even if the sequence is playing.

I would like the LED button to stay ON while the sequence is playing. It should be possible since if I press with my mouse the button directly in the interface to switch on or off the sequence, it updates the LED exactly as I want : ON if the sequence is played, OFF if not.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks a lot !

apprenti bidouille
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8

Re: How to use MIDI properly with buttons

Post by apprenti bidouille »

I am so sorry... (but also so happy !)

The minute I sent my message, it began to work... I don't know why ! I tried for 2 hours and the minute I clicked on "post", it worked ! Can't believe it !

Sorry for the useless post...
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: How to use MIDI properly with buttons

Post by dmxlighting »

Not a useless post, but as I read the first post I was thinking it is the device and not FS that was the problem.
If I do this on my bcf it works just fine! Although if the LED did not stay lit while I hold the button down I probably would not notice!
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert

Return to “General Midi Controllers”