These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Chauvet DMX-3F Fog Adapter ? I need help..

Fixture File Help & Support, This is not a Request forum we are here to help you not work for you... If you do need a fixture and don't wish to make one yourself or learn then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service
Forum rules
This forum is designed for you to get HELP with building fixtures, Please make an attempt if you get stuck YOU must upload your partial fixture file (as an exported fixture file) so we can point you in the right direction if you don't do this you won't LEARN and if you don't learn you will may never be able to get the fixtures you require. It is Very hard to make fixtures for people when we don't have the same light at hand to test it with after all having the light in front of you makes programing so much easier! That's why we will help but rarely build any fixtures for you. You Alone are the best person to build your fixtures if you need help ask if you want it building for you Don't....
or alternativaly if your willing to pay for fixtures to be created then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service

You can Upload your fixtures as attachments to your posts so there is no need to supply email details Please post any fixtures in the download forum if you require help please contact an Admin/Moderator.
yofo
Pro...
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2

Chauvet DMX-3F Fog Adapter ? I need help..

Post by yofo »

hi, I have a Cheavet DMX-3F Fog Adapter and I can't het the thing to work, can anyone help me out who have the same unit then me, I don't know that it means then the green LED is blinking or just plain on, If I move a slider, nothing happends? :(
Last edited by dmxlighting on March 5th, 2010, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit

:?
yofo
Pro...

Re: Cheavet DMX-3F Fog Adapter ? I need help..

Post by yofo »

just to add, the DMX adapter is plugged into my fog machine tho :roll: and the power is on, but dmx section don't work
Shannon D
FS is my life
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Shannon D »

I don't have the DMX-3F, but I just looked in the manual (which is one page). It says, "The green LED on the side of the unit will light to indicate the presence of a DMX signal". It doesn't say anything about blinking.

The red LED will light when the fogger is heated and ready to fog.

Are you sure you have it addressed correctly?

You can email Chauvet at tech1@chauvetlighting.com
Shannon D
FS is my life

Post by Shannon D »

Did you create a fixture file for the DMX-3F? It has 4 channels and will probably need its own fixture file instead of working from the fogger window. Attached is the one pager with the 4 channel descriptions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

yea, i have that same pdf file, so I can't understand, the dmx slidders in freestyler and some other dmx program, does nothing, its like the unit is not working, my address starting address is : 9, dup switch " 100100000 and the last dup is 1, and that 1 means DMX, and if I do that, the green LED flashes, so it seems to want to work, but is not working, I have some DMX experience, with my 8 channel laser, I made my own fixture, was fun making it tho, lol, but i can't make a fixture on a dmx device that is not responding, hehe
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

this is a tech question, i have a homemade dmx controller, say for instance the 3pin are not correctly wired, and that pin2 and pin3 are swapped by mistake, will this still works on other dmx devices, because my laser works perfectly with my dmx controller?
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

It does not say on the pdf if the unit needs pin2+ or pin3+. Normaly Chauvet kit is p3+ but this needs to be checked. Whichever way it is make sure that you are sending dmx in the correct polarity.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

u guys, thanx for the help, I'm still a learner, and I'm starting to get my way slowly, u see the thing is, I have a JB systems laser that works fine with my DMX controller, its a homemade Oksidizer USB2DMX unit, that a online buddy created for me, so I'm not sure how he did it, becuase, he programmed the PIC, and done the PCB, because I can't program a pic.

So I have bought myself a Cheavet DMX-3F Fog Adapter, and I know this stuff have 3 pins, so you guys say that my laser can work with the wrong pins setup? I want to make my controller standard so that it will work on all lights, i dont want any crossover cables and that stuff

EDIT : sending dmx in the wrong polarity? will a fixture still have the possibility to work? or does some work?
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Yofo

I will try to explain how it works.

On the XLR of your usb device and your fixture there will be either 5pins or a 3pins. 5pin xlr's are infact the true dmx standard but 3pin connectors are becomming far more popular as they are much cheaper. Regardsless of 3 or 5 pin connectors only 3 wires / pins are ever used to send dmx.
The 3 wires dmx needs are Hot(+) Cold(-) and Screen.
DMX standard is that the hot(+) is carried on pin3 of the xlr, cold(-) is carried on pin2 and screen on pin1. Screen is ALWAYS carried on pin1.
So on your comms cables you should find that each end is wired pin for pin.

You need to find out if the usb device (Oksidizer ) is wired 2+ or 3+. You cannot tell just by looking!!
As you said thre JB Lazer does work so please look are see if it is p2 or p3 hot. Then as Onge said make up a special cable to swap p2 and p3 over if needed.
This is easy. Just get a normal pin for pin cable and then undo one end (dont matter which) and with your soldering iron swap over the wires on 2 and 3.
Then mark this cable so you know its a special one and when needed add it to your setup. Pehaps use the lazer a the first fixture in the chain then use the polarity swapping cable to link to the rest of the fixtures you have.

Hope this helps...

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Shannon D
FS is my life

Post by Shannon D »

Yeah, everything Lee said above :mrgreen:

Do you have a regular DMX controller or something else that you can test the DMX-3F with the fogger to make sure the DMX-3F is not faulty?
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

here is the diagram, I want u to have a look?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

Shannon D wrote:Yeah, everything Lee said above :mrgreen:

Do you have a regular DMX controller or something else that you can test the DMX-3F with the fogger to make sure the DMX-3F is not faulty?
I only have this one unit, and it's build exactly like in this pdf file, my online buddy, but I dont know if it's standard, I have had the impression, it's all standard, and that this stuff just works by plugging in it and make a fixture, no worries... hmmm
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

most important, if I swap pin3 and pin2 om my dmx cable will that destroy my hardware?
Shannon D
FS is my life

Post by Shannon D »

According to the documentation, it sounds like it should work with FS right out the box. I can't reply on the diagrams or damage to your equipment. I have never own any other dongle other than the Enttec Pro which works flawlessly with FS. Maybe one of the other guys will chime in.

Is the laser working perfect? Do you have any other fixtures working besides the laser?
I made my own fixture, was fun making it tho, lol, but i can't make a fixture on a dmx device that is not responding, hehe
Are you trying to control it from the fogger window without an actual fogger fixture file?

Does the red light ever come on to show that the fogger is ready?
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

Shannon D wrote:According to the documentation, it sounds like it should work with FS right out the box. I can't reply on the diagrams or damage to your equipment. I have never own any other dongle other than the Enttec Pro which works flawlessly with FS. Maybe one of the other guys will chime in.

Is the laser working perfect? Do you have any other fixtures working besides the laser?
I made my own fixture, was fun making it tho, lol, but i can't make a fixture on a dmx device that is not responding, hehe
Are you trying to control it from the fogger window without an actual fogger fixture file?

Does the red light ever come on to show that the fogger is ready?
I made my own fixture is "Fixture creator" I meant, not a actual light...
EDIT: I made a 4 channel fogger fixture in the creator the same as I did with my laser

Yes the red light goes on, then the machine is heated up, and the green led flashed crazy the, I've seen a dmx-3f unit in action on a youtube video, it was also flashing like my one does, so I think something is messedup

I onlyt have a laser and a dmx fog controller now, I'm waiting on a dmx strobe controller, bit its discontinued, :-(
Shannon D
FS is my life

Post by Shannon D »

I'll make a fixture file for the DMX-3F for you to try. I'm at work now, so please be patient. It shouldn't take me too long. You may want to post the fixture file you created so we can take a look at it as well.
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

Shannon D wrote:I'll make a fixture file for the DMX-3F for you to try. I'm at work now, so please be patient. It shouldn't take me too long. You may want to post the fixture file you created so we can take a look at it as well.
It's cool, I can't export my fixture, so I'll place the stuff in a zip file, it's not complete because I can't test it, so I dont have fancy stuff yet in, u know the way, just copy the content in the fixture folder on freestyler

EDIT : oops rar file
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

yofo wrote:most important, if I swap pin3 and pin2 om my dmx cable will that destroy my hardware?
No it will not hurt the hardware. The worst that can happen is if the polarity is wrong then your fixtures will not respond or in some case the fixtures just go nuts!

There are some fixtures on the market that will auto dectect the polarity of the incoming dmx signal. Abstarct VRX range is one of those that will do this.

yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

dmxlighting wrote:
yofo wrote:most important, if I swap pin3 and pin2 om my dmx cable will that destroy my hardware?
No it will not hurt the hardware. The worst that can happen is if the polarity is wrong then your fixtures will not respond or in some case the fixtures just go nuts!

There are some fixtures on the market that will auto dectect the polarity of the incoming dmx signal. Abstarct VRX range is one of those that will do this.
u say the stuff goes nuts, well then I plugged the crossover in my laser, the laser have gone nuts but that was only for a millisecond, the laser just go on for a spit second and then go of, extremely fast.
Shannon D
FS is my life

Post by Shannon D »

yofo,

Your fixture file should work when using the sliders. I am strapped at work and don't have the time I thought to make your file. The only thing I would of done different is pick "other" for the fixture type so that macros could be added for the different settings. Not knowing what fogger you have would make it difficult for me to make the "perfect" macros that would work good for you. I think once you get it going, that would be the time to work on the macros for your personal preference.

I saw the youtube vid with the 650 fogger and the DMX-3F. It looked like he had it addressed, along with the #10 dip switch on. The light was blinking pretty fast as you described yours to be. Just a thought, but do you have a multi-meter that you can test the output of the DMX-3F? If using a fogger like the 650 in the video, the remote connections only have 3 pins and it is a simple switch (on/off). Maybe you can test the output with a meter to see if you see any change when you make changes with the sliders. Have you checked the output window (edit >output) of FS to see if the channel values are changing?
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

Shannon D wrote:yofo,

Your fixture file should work when using the sliders. I am strapped at work and don't have the time I thought to make your file. The only thing I would of done different is pick "other" for the fixture type so that macros could be added for the different settings. Not knowing what fogger you have would make it difficult for me to make the "perfect" macros that would work good for you. I think once you get it going, that would be the time to work on the macros for your personal preference.

I saw the youtube vid with the 650 fogger and the DMX-3F. It looked like he had it addressed, along with the #10 dip switch on. The light was blinking pretty fast as you described yours to be. Just a thought, but do you have a multi-meter that you can test the output of the DMX-3F? If using a fogger like the 650 in the video, the remote connections only have 3 pins and it is a simple switch (on/off). Maybe you can test the output with a meter to see if you see any change when you make changes with the sliders. Have you checked the output window (edit >output) of FS to see if the channel values are changing?

I have already tested the output yesterday, by carefully opening the device, and put my meter on the + and - input that feeds the opto ic, and no voltage, it's if the unit is faulty...
I thought it might be a triac that is blown, but after testing and searching for a trigger voltage, there isn't even a trigger voltage no where, so by my bad luck, it's another faulty system, just like my couriered laser, that looked like 2nd hand then I got it with scratches on the casing and the patterns was freezing up and the package was dent in looked like someone used it to kill someone before, dents in my box, so I returned it, now its working....I orderd my DMX-3F from a other shop, but it looks like a another faulty product, u see, I have learned alot by making my own fixture for my laser. So I kinda know the stuff...but then a dmx device is faulty that's another story :(
Shannon D
FS is my life

Post by Shannon D »

Hopefully whom ever you bought it from will honor the return and either give your money back or replace the unit. Good luck.
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

Shannon D wrote:Hopefully whom ever you bought it from will honor the return and either give your money back or replace the unit. Good luck.
I'm gonna get a new one, and return the old, via the courier, hopefully the new one works.....did you also have this bad luck then ordering someone online?
Shannon D
FS is my life

Post by Shannon D »

.....did you also have this bad luck then ordering someone online?
I can honestly say that I have never had a faulty piece of gear come from an online purchase. I have bought new and used gear off of ebay and other online stores. I did have 2 ebay sellers that I had to file a claim for through Paypal because they never sent the items. I got my money back both times.

Oops, I just remembered, I did get one light from Chauvet that was faulty. Instead of sending them back the faulty light, they told me to keep it for spare parts and they sent me another one right away. I found this to be excellent customer service and that's why I have mostly Chauvet lights. For what I do with my lights and the price that they come by, it's hard for me to justify paying top dollar for the high end stuff. My only problem is their cheap foggers and HZ-1000. Those don't last. And I take good care of all my gear. I'm in the market now for a high end hazer that will last.
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

my first gear I've bought was all Cheavet, 2x scanners,1x duo moon, 1x strobe, and 1x smoke machine, and they all worked 100% well, it's only my Cheavet FX-800 that had a faulty pipe in side the machine then it goes into the pump. and it started to leak very much after a couple of years, so I opened it up , and fix the pipe myself and I modified the nozzle by drilling a to big hole by mistake, and now it bursting out a massive cloud of smoke then I press the button, well not to bad, but its leaks fluid abit out of the nozzle now, lol, but its worth it, I just press something in the nozzles input then I'm not using it. all none- dmx :( :( :( :( :( so I sold my scanners, and bought myself a nice cheap cool dmx laser, I'm a very happy with it so far

EDIT: I wish I can get a faulty product to keep, because I'll most likely to fix it myself

Return to “FreeStyler Fixture Files - Help & Support”