These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Gig videos using Freestyler 3.2 & midi controllers

Getting good with your lighting shows? Need to show others the power of your FreeStyler programming? Than drop some pictures or videos in this section and Show the world your handy work!
Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Gig videos using Freestyler 3.2 & midi controllers

Post by Shannon D »

Here are a few links to some videos of our band playing this past weekend. This was the first time using Freestyler 3.2 and the midi controllers live. I kept the choice of light fixtures to a minimum (No MH's) because our keyboard player was pretty much running the light show with the Behringer FCB-1010 and he still needs more time getting use to how all this works. I did have a midi controller right behind me (the drummer), but as you can see in the videos, I don't have any free hands to really work the lights well.

I did have a few isssues that night, but nothing to do with Freestyler. Freestyler worked perfect. :fs:
One of my Chauvet Colorstrips up on the truss died early in the night which effected the rest of the master/slave daisy chain on the truss colorstrips. I had to take it out of the chain during our first break. Also, the LED pars that I had on the ground next to the monitors were blinding the guitar players, so the front lighting was not great.

All in all, it went ok for the first run of us controlling everything from the stage. I found room for improvement, so the next show should be better :D

Here's the setup: Freestyler 3.2, Enttec Pro, 7 Chauvet Colorstrips, 4 Chauvet 200B LED pars, 2 Chauvet Vue 2's, Akai MPD16, Behringer FCB-1010, M-Audio Midi-Man 4X4

If you look good, you will see my laptop running Freestyler next to my drum kit. The sound gets a lil fuzzy when my videographer (my wife) got too close to the PA. She promised not to get so close next time :D

Enjoy!

Sala Vie -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxWNTn7BrC4

All Summer Long -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A89pnMoz ... re=channel

Bad Girlfriend -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDMhtfKg ... re=channel

Sweet Emotion -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJb5QOb ... re=channel

matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Re: Gig videos using Freestyler 3.2 & midi controllers

Post by matt »

Awsome!
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
Snowcat
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Snowcat »

This may be a silly (I'm not a drummer) but thought it may be worth suggesting...

I've heard you can get electronic drum pads that can output midi signals when triggered (a modern version of the old Simmons setups). Is it maybe worth adding a few of these to your existing Drum set and literally "Play" the lights during the gig? (Sequence triggers or overrides perhaps)

The Drummers equivalent of a Guitar MIDI stompbox. Might solve the "no free hands" issue. :)
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Snowcat wrote:This may be a silly (I'm not a drummer) but thought it may be worth suggesting...

I've heard you can get electronic drum pads that can output midi signals when triggered (a modern version of the old Simmons setups). Is it maybe worth adding a few of these to your existing Drum set and literally "Play" the lights during the gig? (Sequence triggers or overrides perhaps)

The Drummers equivalent of a Guitar MIDI stompbox. Might solve the "no free hands" issue. :)
it sounds like a good idea for that purpose the drummer is the light guy!!!!!!

if you already have the BCF2000 you can plug in a Footswitch. I have one with 4 pedals for use with Elation Powerbars, i should try to see if that could work with the BCF2000. I know that the freestyler.syx has to be modified because it wont accept inputs from the footswitch.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

Another way is using an aux output of the bands foh mixer, sending out only the bass drum (or tom, or whatever else).
Connect that to the line-in of your FreeStyler running computer, start S2L, config it and you'll have a good beat signal (as no other audio is disturbing).
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Shannon D »

Sorry for the delay. My mother recently passed away and I haven't been checking the forums since then. Time is slowly healing our loss.

Thanks for the suggestions for new ways to "trigger" the lights from my kit. I actually have a new project that I will be starting after holidays. I will be building an A2E drum set (acoustic to electronic) which will be sending all triggered drum hits to a drum brain. I won't get into the details of the drum build, but as Snowcat and LJ mentioned, I will be able to send midi out of the brain thru the FCB-1010 and send the midi notes to Freestyler.

Remco, I have used a direct out of the board to send the audio from my bass drum to S2L. It does work, but it doesn't give me much control like start/stop MH's. Once my new set up is done, I will be able to change cues, manual trigger sequences and use the overrides.

Of course, If I could get my keyboard player up to speed on how Freestyler works and how to use the FCB-1010 correctly, he would be able to do a great job running the lights all by himself :mrgreen:
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

Shannon

Please have a look at this post. You may have already been intouch with this guy but if not maybe you can help him?
http://www.freestylersupport.com/fsforu ... =19&t=1843

PS - Regards to you and your family. Losing any one at any time is always sad.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert

Return to “Show us your shows...”