These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Re: DMX strobe problems...

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
Kings
Commited FS Forum helper
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Kings »

Hi Folks...
I’m having some problems with an inexpensive two channel strobe (1= flash speed, 2 = brightness) and hope you may be able to help me.
When I connect it to a Jands Stage 12 DMX controller (a really basic 12 channel DMX desk) it both channels work as predicted and I can easily address the fixture for each of the available 11 channel s if need be.
However...
If I connect it to my Enttec USB PRO (or an expensive Jands Vista desk) it shows the following behaviour:
1) The first channel no longer appears to work and can be adjusted without any response.
2) The second channel starts to behave differently, much like both channels combined (i.e. starts of dim and slow and then becomes progressively faster and brighter?)
3) The fixture no longer responds when the address is changed from ‘1’ to any other address.
4) When all dip switches are off(?), the two channels respond as they should but the strobe starts to ‘stutter’. The manual indicates that dip switch one should be at the on position?
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

Just a thought out loud: This may be one of few fixtures that need pins 2 and 3 of your DMX wire crossed to work perfectly.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
Kings
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by Kings »

Mmm...

1) Wiring is OK (1 - Ground, 2 - Data '-', 3 - Data '+') as per user manual and instructions printed on fixture itself?
2) Has been terminated.
3) Have tried it on another simple lighting desk and it works fine!? Why doesnt it like FS/Enttec PRO USB or the Jands Vista?

What is this "timing thing" I wonder?
Kings
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by Kings »

FIXED IT!

Downloaded a Enttec USB pro utility (form the website) that allowed me to vary the "packet output" of the dongle. The strobe is now working as predicted using both channels.

Thanks for the tips!
leeqwst
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by leeqwst »

I have some cheaper Strobes that have to have DIP CH 10 turned on for them to work in DMX mode.

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”