These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

dmx to midi question

Questions regarding general external control forum.
sonicj
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 2.96j
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

dmx to midi question

Post by sonicj »

i have a FS machine running movers, dmx led pars & conventional par cans with a dmx equipped dimmer pack. my problem is that i have 2 more dimmer packs that do not have dmx in. my nsi lightboard does not receive dmx either, however it does receive midi.

ideally, i would like to be able to control all of the stage lighting via freestyler. since i don't have dmx on the last 2 dimmer packs and the conventional nsi board doesn't have dmx in, im left with midi. i found midi to dmx, but i couldn't find dmx to midi in FS. does this option exist? if not, is there a workaround that can acomplish this via software or hardware? many thanx in advance and i appreciate all the good work that goes into FS!
-john c.

MBP 2.16 GHz Intel C2D| 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM | Enttec Open DMX | Parallels Desktop Build 3214 | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Freestyler 2.96j
ChuckTX
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater

Re: dmx to midi question

Post by ChuckTX »

There is the IF-501 from NSI/Leviton. It is a hardware solution to take DMX in and come out with CMX/Microplex to talk to the NSI Dimmers. I have a full rack of NSI's that I use one for, but they are kind of expensive. If you only have 1 or 2 dimmer packs it may be heaper to just replace them unfortunately. I don't know which NSI board you are using but none of the smaller (non computer based) ones take midi in to ttransfer it to a level. They can use it to sync chases or fire cues in some cases I think.

Return to “General Midi Controllers”