These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

dmx newb

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
djbluephoenix
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.0.1
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: dmx newb

Post by djbluephoenix »

remco_k wrote:
djbluephoenix wrote: the laser works in sound mode by itself (not in freestyler). when i put the the dip switch 1 up and the rest down it still is acting in sound mode(this is happening for all 3 of them :/). intensity of the movements is adjusted by the volume on the back <---- thats how i know its in sound mode still
You did turn off and on the laser after changing the dip-switches right?
of course ;)

----------------------------

i contacted someone who deals with microh equipment, i guess we'll see what they say :roll:

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

Did you ever check the XLR 5 to 3 pin adapter?
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
djbluephoenix

Post by djbluephoenix »

remco_k wrote:Did you ever check the XLR 5 to 3 pin adapter?
yeah its fine :/

(after im contacted about these fixtures) i'll save up money to get a different fixture, and see what happens if it still doesn't work then i guess it might be the enttec box...

what other programs are out there that work with this box maybe i'll try a different one *even though i dont want to go on that route, i think :fs:
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

When i'm reading this topic i can't see if you ever tried to open the output window in freestyler to check it send out dmx?

does the LED on the enttec pro flash when it is connected and freestyler is running?

Try to install the pro utility tool
install and see if the program can connect to the interface
if yes, try to press the "DMX SENDS" button and set the following values:

Channel 1: between 102~152 (DMX512 Image mode 1)
Channel 2 to 8: 0

now your laser should do something if it is connected. is there a flashing/lighting led (or the like) on the laser to indicate it's getting a dmx signal?
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
djbluephoenix

Post by djbluephoenix »

LJ_krede.dk wrote:When i'm reading this topic i can't see if you ever tried to open the output window in freestyler to check it send out dmx?

does the LED on the enttec pro flash when it is connected and freestyler is running?

Try to install the pro utility tool
install and see if the program can connect to the interface
if yes, try to press the "DMX SENDS" button and set the following values:

Channel 1: between 102~152 (DMX512 Image mode 1)
Channel 2 to 8: 0

now your laser should do something if it is connected. is there a flashing/lighting led (or the like) on the laser to indicate it's getting a dmx signal?
ive done everything possible.

when i connect my enttec box and run freestyler the LED does blink while the program is running it.

ive installed the pro utility and it detects it ive tried running the "dmx sends" and setting the values but it doesnt do anything

there isnt any type of light on these lasers to indicate that its receiving anything which is a pain.

the adapter cord ive taken apart and everything is connected fine.

i've tried several times to do a full clean of all the drivers then reinstall the drivers for the dmx box but still nothing.

ive tried setting the dipswitches diffrently to see if that was it but nope still nothing
jonny b good
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2

Post by jonny b good »

Have a look at this site it tells you how to make a DMX terminator/tester might be of use.
http://www.bigclive.com/dmxtest.htm

You still have avoided answering the question about the FreeStyler Output window, lets see the "Output" Window.

Hire/borrow a simply LED fixture or other light so you can do a test with that.

You say the "DMX SENDS" button does not work then surely it must mean the interface is not talking to the computer properly !!!!! Wrong Com Port selected maybe.

Honestly you have not done everything yet.

I am sure some clever person could tell you how to use a voltage tester on the dmx cable to see if it receiving data from the interface.
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

After checking the output window if you see values being sent there, and while you are testing (and this is gonna be a pain in the ass) you should do this:

From channel 1 to 512; change value from 0 to 255 slightly wait a second and then back to 0. Keeping an eye on the laser.
So you need to do that 0 to 255 to 5, 512 times.

You can do the above by adding lots and lots of PAR64 light bars with a few PARs on it.

Why? Maybe, just maybe your laser is listening to another DMX channel...
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mattotone »

heres a utility that will do it. It sets a channel output to 255 waits to seconds, sets it back to 0 and goes onto the next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
jonny b good

Post by jonny b good »

Mattotone wrote:heres a utility that will do it. It sets a channel output to 255 waits to seconds, sets it back to 0 and goes onto the next.

Nice :D
djbluephoenix

Post by djbluephoenix »

that 512 tester is corrupt or something it doesnt work. and my friend is an assistant manager at the club in town and i hooked them up to martins program (all 3) and it doesnt seems to do anything so im guessing its the lasers.. what im trying to figure out is how the F did i get 3 lasers that dont work in dmx mode?... or does microh just put it there for show just hoping no one uses the dmx(price increase)?

---------------------------

to make things even more wonky is that theres no contact details or location on there new website o.O so i emailed there distributer to see if they can help me (no email yet)
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

get another DMX fixture and connect it to the enttec pro to see if the fixture reacts on DMX... maybe it's not the laser which is the problem
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

djbluephoenix wrote:hat 512 tester is corrupt or something it doesnt work.
works fine for me... remember the tester is a plugin for FS so you need to start that program before running the tester
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
djbluephoenix

Post by djbluephoenix »

ill see about going back there tommorow and testing it out. (he was kind've in a hurry)

umm 1 more thing i opened up the dmx box (sorry i was curious :oops: ) to see if anything was melted or if the pins were disconnected from the 5 pin connector what i noticed was that right beside the usb port there is a missing chip or something.. all boards have missing components due to it not being needed but it seems like something should be there..

was wondering if anyone could check there box for me :P (its just the 2 side screws and the bottom metal plate slides out, you wont be touching any curcitry... i didnt :o )

specifics: its on the RIGHT hand side of the usb port, when you look straight at the port - it looks like to be a 6 pin chip should be there
jonny b good

Post by jonny b good »

djbluephoenix wrote:that 512 tester is corrupt or something it doesnt work. and my friend is an assistant manager at the club in town and i hooked them up to martins program (all 3) and it doesnt seems to do anything so im guessing its the lasers.. what im trying to figure out is how the F did i get 3 lasers that dont work in dmx mode?... or does microh just put it there for show just hoping no one uses the dmx(price increase)?

---------------------------

to make things even more wonky is that theres no contact details or location on there new website o.O so i emailed there distributer to see if they can help me (no email yet)
The tester program downloads, extracts and works fine, not corrupted.

I think it is either faulty interface, or not connected to correct com port or drivers or something.
and/or
I think with the lasers it is most probably just a matter of sorting out the correct dipswitch settings as possibly the manual is wrong.

Easiest thing is to see if you can use your friends club and conect upto his lighting rig for a quick test or at leat connect to one of the lights there.
If not beg/steal/borrow/hire/buy a simple fixture to test it all with.
djbluephoenix

Post by djbluephoenix »

ok i guess i should have asked this from the begginning what driver version do you guys have atm?... mine says FTDI VERS. 2.6.0.0 <--- i updated with vcom drivers and it installed ftdi anyways..

---------------------
this was all done without FS

ok its the lasers...

just tested.. i put the two lasers in master/slave mode

when i put laser 1 in master mode and laser 2 in slave mode nothing happened laser 1 seemed to sit there and wait for commands and didnt even go into sound mode.

when i put laser 2 in master mode and laser 1 in slave mode they both worked harmoniously without any hickups.

laser 2 stays in auto sound mode by itself no matter how the dip switches are placed.
Last edited by djbluephoenix on May 18th, 2010, 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonny b good

Post by jonny b good »

On my computer both the USB Serial Converter and the USB Serial Port are using version 2.6.0.0 of the FTDI drivers.

This is what is confusing me, my PRO uses the FTDI drivers and was told that is what I should use rather than letting windows install the VCOM drivers, but reading the info on the Enttec site now it seems as if the VCOM drivers should be used. Puzzled to say the least.

Maybe, now with latest release from the FTDI site that their version of the VCOM drivers are OK to use and not the Windows version.

All I know is it works on my machine with the FTDI drivers.
jonny b good

Post by jonny b good »

djbluephoenix wrote:ill see about going back there tommorow and testing it out. (he was kind've in a hurry)

umm 1 more thing i opened up the dmx box (sorry i was curious :oops: ) to see if anything was melted or if the pins were disconnected from the 5 pin connector what i noticed was that right beside the usb port there is a missing chip or something.. all boards have missing components due to it not being needed but it seems like something should be there..

was wondering if anyone could check there box for me :P (its just the 2 side screws and the bottom metal plate slides out, you wont be touching any curcitry... i didnt :o )

specifics: its on the RIGHT hand side of the usb port, when you look straight at the port - it looks like to be a 6 pin chip should be there
This is what the inside of my Enttec DMX USB Pro interface looks like. V2 board. Looks like I have the "missing chip" as well. I do not know how it compares to yours !!!!!

djbluephoenix

Post by djbluephoenix »

yeah mines the exact same (thanks for checking for me to make sure :) ), but i figured out its the lasers look 3 posts up and i described what the lasers are doing

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”