These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Virtual strobe for basic RGB LED fixtures

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Virtual strobe for basic RGB LED fixtures

Post by dmxlighting »

First up hello. Its been a long time since i posted on here. I used to be quite prolithic and Ive been using FS for well over a decade so theres not much I don't know about it. But we all find issues sometimes so here goes . . .

Im looking for a way to do this and I think I found the only answer but someone may have a better way ?

I have some baic RGB fixtures which have no stobe channel in the profile.
SO I made a 2 step sequence - step one all on - step two all off and set the speed to max in the sequence creator. Still not fast enough for a 'strobe effect' but in the submaster or cue list if i ramp the speed up to 500% it does look like a strobe effect. WINNER!

Now the problem. When controlling I use a custom iPad app and for all strobe features i use on other fixtures I have an override button set to flash mapped to my app, that works like a charm. However in this case i cant do that. Instead I would have to create a second sequence in the sub or cue list that sets the fixture to be just off (all values at zero for that fixture). Now this does work but its not exactly convenient if you wanted to have a quick burst of strobing.

For clarity on the type of fixture, Im using some WS2811 RGB pixel chips being controlled by an Enttec DIN pixie controller to convert them to DMX control. This is all in a custom built giant LOVE sign. Anyway I digress.

So in essence if i could have a 2 step override button that allowed additional speed control, set to flash, my problem would be solved. I know this is not currently possible and probably never will be.

So does anyone have a work around they can think up ? Maybe some scripting ideas ?

TIA !

Lee

Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Virtual strobe for basic RGB LED fixtures

Post by dmxlighting »

In case anyone was interested i found a resolution to my problem.

Ive scrapped the Enttec Din Pixie device and replaced it with a Jun Pro DMX to SPI controller.

These units have a better personallity which will do a strobe effect along with some other clever sequencing effects on most pixel chip LED's (WS2811 etc). It will not give individual pixel control like the DIN Pixie but it makes up for that in many other ways. Unit can be purchased directly from Malaysia via Ebay for about £155 including shipping. Not cheap but after a bit of research its the best DMX to SPI device ive found so far.
Ordered on Friday and was delivered today (less than a week from Malaysia is pretty go i think!)

DMX profile personality is 13 channels and each device can run 1024 pixels. Devices and be daisy chained together.

Youtube video here for reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX2qg3LpXXw
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert

Return to “FreeStyler Software”