These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Akai LPD8 controller compatibility

Questions regarding general external control forum.
djliam
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Akai LPD8 controller compatibility

Post by djliam »

Afternoon!
I've just bought an Akai LPD8 controller to attempt to use as a controller for use with freestyler, unfortunately the "buttons" are in fact velocity pads which generate a different value depending in how hard they are pressed. Is there a way to use these to control functions on the software? Or do I need a controller with buttons instead?
Or does anyone have any experience with this particular controller and know a way to make it generate just one value rather than a variable value?
Thanks

Kings
Commited FS Forum helper
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: Akai LPD8 controller compatibility

Post by Kings »

a lot of midi controllers have velocity sensitive buttons (the harder you press, the higher the value). In most cases you can install/download software for the controller that will let you set the value as 127 (the highest) regardless of how hard you press the button.
Kings
Commited FS Forum helper
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Kings »

btech.electro
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by btech.electro »

hi Members,

I can set up AKAI LPD8, but doesn't working well. I need start sequences and changes what is running with pads of AKAI LPD8. If I push pad, sequence is starting, after I start the other one, but after I cannot start again the firs one. I have to re-start Freestyler, and after is the same. Is there anyone who can help me solve this issue?
Blue407
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by Blue407 »

Does anybody have the LPD8 working successfully with Freestyler?
Voffcheggg
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.51
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by Voffcheggg »

Я благополучно использую LPD8. Необходимо разобрать контроллер, убрать тонкую пластину, которая замыкает контактные площадки. Потом приклеить на пэды металлический скотч (фольга), узкие полоски. Работает идеально, или 0 или 127.
SCaddy
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Post by SCaddy »

Without modifying your controller, it's a bit hit and miss.

The rotory controls work just fine in FS to control things like intensity, red, green, blue, but the pads are not so useful because you can't set the velocity level to trigger a "note-on" event.

You could use a tool like MIDI2Key to convert pad inputs to key presses, but with that tool active, FS can't also access the MIDI device, so you won't be able to use the rotory controls at the same time. (Nor can use turn on the MIDI in FS and then load MIDI2Key - it crashes - so only one piece of software can access the controller at one time).

I'm not sure what the "on" and "off" columns in the MIDI settings were for - I suspect to allow us to set the trigger velocity, but it either doesn't work or wasn't programmed, because I can't work out what those settings do. Maybe time for a bug report or feature request?
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

Feel free to report the developer will give you and answer at some point
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out

Return to “General Midi Controllers”