These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Different types of MH bulbs

Nothing about FreeStyler just General Chat.
Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hi
Just a simple question in regards to different moving head bulbs. I've just been looking at the manual for the bulb type I need for our moving heads, then noticed there are two types. There is HTI 150 or MMH 150 for one set of moving heads we and also NSD 150 or HTI 150 for the other set. I was wondering which would be the better ones to get for each type of moving heads?

HTI 150 or MMH 150 - Martin Minimac
NSD 150 or HTI 150 - Acme Spot queen

I'm wanting to get the best output I can and I notice this will mean the bulbs don't last as long, but the only difference I've noticed between bulbs is colour temperature (apart from lamp hours). Does it generally mean the higher the colour temperature, better the bulb? Also what does HTI, MMH, NSD mean? I know there is others as well but I've never really thought of asking till now :? and I can't find anything on Google about the different types.

spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by spud1511 »

Colour temperature is a number measured in a Kelvin. It affects how 'warm' or 'cold' a shade of white light can be as there is almost no such thing as a perfect white lamp. Generally closer to 5000 / 5500 is regarded as daylight white,

http://www.fredrkl.com/wp-content/uploa ... _large.jpg

The wattage is just how much electricity, and consequently heat is produced. Just look at the output rating in lumens at 1m sq (at 1m sq this can be directly compared against those quoted in 'lux').
There are lower wattage lamps of different types that can outperform higher wattage ones.

Other factors in a light, like the quality and design of optics (filters & lenses, etc) will also affect the output but not as much.

Page 11 of the following link tells you exactly what the different letters stand for;
https://assets.sylvania.com/assets/docu ... 3ab996.pdf

But always replace like for like, and if you have any doubts the manual for your lights, or manufacturers website will tell you exactly what type you can use. It is important not to go against this as the electrical supply to the light, the cooling system and the mounting point will be designed for a specific lamp.
Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: Different types of MH bulbs

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Thanks for that reply, spud1511. I appreciate your help and I'll be sure to check them links out :)

Return to “Off-Zone”