These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

which LED PAR can should i buy?

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

which LED PAR can should i buy?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Hey Guys

I'm considering to invest in a couple of LED PAR cans. They have to be cheap, however the light output also have to be a good quality. I was looking the thomann website and they look cheap enough, but i dont know how the light output is.

Thomann's selection of LED PARcans

Also how is the beam? i know that for some cheap LED PAR cans the light beam/shape is different according to which LED's is turned on. me don't like :cry:

Do you guys have any suggestions? how about the STAIRVILLE LED PAR 64 10 MM BLACK RGB?

OBS: I want to use the par cans for:
* giving some color on stage
* light up trees
* uplight next to a wall

/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: which LED PAR can should i buy?

Post by remco_k »

A few things about cheap LED PARs:

1. The 'white' is'nt white
2. The 'white' (or any mix of colors) have a rainbow effect on the borders of the light.
3. Light intensity cannot be compared to regular PAR's

Cheap LED PARs cannot compete to normal PARs.
Having all this information, its just a choice to buy them, or leave them. :mrgreen:
You could get lucky though. Maybe you'll have a set of LED PARs where one of the above points is not there.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta

Post by dmxlighting »

I would agree with Remco and Onge. I have 8 cheap pars and they are ok but I use them with led battons and led blinders. This way I get better, ritcher colours.
The blinders do most of the work (10mm leds @ 3w) from a 5m distance. The battons (chauvet color strips x2) are also suprisingly bright but need to closer at 3m. The pars are great for closeup work and are usually floor based.

If you ae looking for a cheap way to add some colour on a stage then perhaps some battons is the way to go. Chauvet strips are good and also showtec do some nice one too.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

wow :o that's was many responses in no time, thanks
Onge wrote:Personally I would buy lots and lots of the cheaper LED Par Cans to create a more intense lighting wash, also the power consumption is far less, and the price would still not get close to the price of comparable 1w or 3w fixture to produce the same amount of light/colour. That is just my opinion not a fact.
i think you are right, onge. maybe i should try to by two of STAIRVILLE LED PAR 64 10 MM BLACK RGB and see if they are okay. at least they are cheap compared to other LED par cans.

I was discussing with a colleague what wsa best to invest in, LED bars og LED PAR cans. I would personally buy LED bars, because i think you get more (light) for the money than a par can and are more flexible. you can use it as wash but also as a nice effect if you have a couple of them. My colleague is in charge thou, so we will try the stairville LED PAR can and see how it goes.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta

Post by dmxlighting »

Just a quick point about uplighting trees and buildings etc....

In the UK the standard for outside (open to the wind rain snow etc) electrical appliences is IPxx , where xx is a number that shows the level of protection from dry indoor to underwater. (IP covers dust dirt wet dry indoor outdoor etc).

If you are going to use ANY fixture outside it MUST be safe for the job.

http://www.lumensales.com/ip_ratings.htm
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
paukel
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Post by paukel »

There all useless. I recently bought a pair of LED Par 64 cans off Ebay, supposed to have only been used a few times. Looked immaculate. Worked great the first time. Second time I noticed a few of the red LEDs were out. After using them about 6 times nearky all the red ones were out. Then I noticed someone on Ebay selling replacement LED boards for these so I bought two of them. So far I've used them twice. First time worked perfectly. Second time 6 Leds on each are out.
They say these last for 100000 hours. As far as I can see you'd be lucky to get an hour out of them.
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

well, i Bought the STAIRVILLE LED PAR 64 10 MM BLACK RGB from Thomann and they have been lighting for many many hours without any problems. They are ok for uplighiting compared to the price, so i'm satisfied.. Sorry you hear you had issues with LED par cans, Paukel. Not to be a saint but i avoid Ebay when it comes to lighting. actually, I never used Ebay :lol:
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Mavi
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mavi »

We own 2 of the Stairville LED PAR 64 Alu polisched* and have had the same problem some LED turned off after some times we used them. The problem was, that the soldering points are weak and after movin around they broke down. But we solved the problem using a soldering iron to fix the weak points.

We also have some of the lightmaXX Platinum LED PAR 64 Tri-LED 18 x 3 Watt, polish* and I realy like them. Never had problems with them!

* I used the GB version of the shops to get an englisch product discription
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons
DavidPope
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Post by DavidPope »

remco_k wrote:A few things about cheap LED PARs:

1. The 'white' is'nt white
2. The 'white' (or any mix of colors) have a rainbow effect on the borders of the
led light.
3. Light intensity cannot be compared to regular PAR's

Cheap LED PARs cannot compete to normal PARs.
Having all this information, its just a choice to buy them, or leave them. :mrgreen:
You could get lucky though. Maybe you'll have a set of LED PARs where one of the above points is not there.
Thanks for your informative post. I might agree with Remco and Onge. But not with all things.

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”