These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Simple Freestyler Interface

Discuss the latest developments or get support for them HERE.
reg
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/regorton

Simple Freestyler Interface

Post by reg »

Latest Beta
Untitled-1.png

Hi there,

I am new to FreeStyler but am really impressed with it so far. I am looking to use freestyler to control a smallish rig. This rig would be controlled day in and day out by non-experts, and as such would like to design a 'nonexpert' interface for FS.

I have looked though most of the posts on this message board, and have found millions of references to the SendMessage API call. Where would I find the documentation for the implementation of this in FS? What are the commands available?
Latest Beta:

Basically I would like to set up a set of 8 or so scenes, in 8 or so groups (64 scenes total) that the user can click a button, and the lights will transition between the scenes.

Usage scenario would be:

Load FreeStyler and minimise
Load Controller
Click on 'Theme Yellow' -> This will load the available scenes (from an XML file) into the Controller
Click on 'Scene 1' -> This transitions to scene 1 programmed in FS
Click on 'Scene 29' -> This transitions to scene 29 programmed in FS
Done.

The other option is to use the Telnet interface, but this seems a bit convoluted.

Thanks heaps already

Reg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by reg on November 5th, 2009, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: Controlling Freestyler using the Windows API (sendmessage)

Post by remco_k »

FreeStyler has an build in touchscreen mode (yes, I know, you are not looking for touchscreen functionality).
But in that mode, you might be interested in the way things look and feel. Maybe even 100% happy without using some API.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
reg

Post by reg »

Thanks,

Yes I have had a look at the touchscreen mode. Its interestng, but a little bit difficult for the people that will be using it. I would really like this to look pretty slick, as well as having absolutly no options for someone to change. It really has to be lowest common denominator kind of thinking.

Thanks

Reg
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Theres also the cuelist buttons you can trigger from keyboard shortcuts (pumped for instance) or from a MIDI interface with buttons. You can configure the cuelist with up to 20 sequences per button which all would be played when the desired scene (cuelist button) is activated

When you have programmed the lights and set up the buttons you can remove the fixtures from the freestyler window and set a password for the settings. Then there is a minimum of buttons the user. Can activate[wiki=][/wiki]
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
reg

Post by reg »

I appreciate the input, however the more I play around and the more I fiddle, the more I think it best if I could write a quick interface (which I would post on here of course). I do need it to be quite slick, and both the touchscreen and the cue list options have a few too many buttons and options that could go wrong.

Thanks though.

Who do I talk to about getting more info on the API calls?

Cheers

Reg
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

[freestylerdev][/freestylerdev]
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
reg

Post by reg »

Thanks djSupport,
I've sent Raph an email using your form. If anyone has the API info, it would be most appreciated as I have the UI mostly done (premature I know).

Thanks

Reg
Snowcat
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Snowcat »

Would be much appreciated if you're willing to share Reg, as I'm in a similar position.

The school here is beginning to catch on to the fact that our Studio Theatre is capable of more than a few tricks (Freestyler and a heap of LED based gear to replace the old skool gels and incandescents) and more than a few classes are trying to set up shows in there now.

Unfortunately, I'm not always available to run the rig so need a system that's kid proof and admin-only configurable. We have everyone from 50 year old teachers right down to 5 year old Prep pupils in the booth and it's a recipe for disaster with the current setup.

From the sound of it, what you have in mind would be perfect for this kind of thing. Please please please! :D
reg

Post by reg »

Ok, Update:

I have the API from Raph, and am just about to implement it. I am not a programmer, so it might take a lil while. I will post details as they arrive.

For now I think that this thread be closed... I will open another one with more info soon.

Cheers

Reg
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

The thread stays open. Please posts follow ups in here.

As I'm a professional software engineer myself (multimedia and database), I might be able to help you out if you get stuck somewhere. But it depends on what language your programming in. And maybe Raph can help you out also.
Still, I don't have that API, so if you're gonna ask me something, you'll need to send that to me.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
reg

Post by reg »

Here is the first screenshot (see attachment)
screenshot.jpg
The code is run by an XML template shown here:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<themes>
  <Config>
    <FreestylerPath>FS.exe</FreestylerPath>
  </Config>
  <theme name="Yellow" description="A yellow theme" order="1">
    <scene name="PreShow" order ="1">
      <description>For yelloa before the show</description>
      <FreeStyleCue>12</FreeStyleCue>
    </scene>
    <scene name="Scene3" order ="2">
      <description>During Scene3</description>
      <FreeStyleCue>122</FreeStyleCue>
    </scene>
    <scene name="Closing Scene" order ="3">
      <description>The final scene (black)</description>
      <FreeStyleCue>0</FreeStyleCue>
    </scene>
  </theme>
  <theme name="Blue" description="A blue theme" order="1">
    <scene name="PreShow" order ="1">
      <description>For before the show</description>
      <FreeStyleCue>12</FreeStyleCue>
      <FreeStyleCue>23</FreeStyleCue>
    </scene>
    <scene name="Intro" order ="1">
      <description>During Intro</description>
      <FreeStyleCue>122</FreeStyleCue>
    </scene>
  </theme>
</themes>
Comments please...

Reg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la

Post by djSupport »

exactly whats needed for retards out there! and XML thats good! damn when your finished PM me and I'll create a download link for it on the forum...
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
reg

The simple freestyler

Post by reg »

Hi Guys,

Attached is 2 zip files. One with the published installer and another with the source. It was written using C#.net Visual Studio Express Edition.

I really would appreciate all comments and advice.

First one: You cant change the xml file unless you recompile the code. Im working on that. But the blackout button should work. Can you please test this.

This is an pre-alpha release. Dont use it for anything.

Reg.
GaryBonaducci
DJ
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

This looks interesting! I gave it a try and it wouldn't install on my 64-bit Vista system. I get the cute startup screen, then the message "Wpfapplication1 has stopped working".

ETA: Sorry, I should more accurately say the program did install, but it has failed to run.
reg

Post by reg »

Great....

I think I know what it might be. I am using some very dumb code that tries to start FreeStyler, but its probably failing in a less thean graceful manner. Does it help if you have FreeStyler open already? DOes it also give you any debug info?

Cheers

Reg
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

reg wrote:I think I know what it might be. I am using some very dumb code that tries to start FreeStyler, but its probably failing in a less thean graceful manner. Does it help if you have FreeStyler open already? DOes it also give you any debug info?
Ahh... Okay. With FreeStyler open the program runs. There isn't any kind of debugging info that I can see when it doesn't open.

I like the way your interface has been designed to have a "theme name" and "description". The use of a headline and subheadline makes the interface much more user-friendly than the existing single line of text on the cue palette. I think you should also consider adding a spot for icons next to these descriptions for even more user-friendliness. For example, "Yellow" and "Blue" could have matching color icons next to them, and "PreShow", "Scene3", and "Closing Scene" could have icons made from small photos of how the scenes actually look like on stage. Better yet, go the iPhone approach and have huge icons and text below them. I think this could easily lead into the next stage of this interface, which is to run it full-screen with a touch interface...

I'm not sure why you have scenes numbered "23" and "122" in your XML code because I'm unable to test their functionality. (Does FreeStyler even allow that many sequences to be accessed?) Only "PreShow" is working with my setup to trigger cue #12, and clicking on "Scene3" or "Closing Scene" doesn't apparently activate anything. I think for development purposes, FreeStyleCue could be assigned from 1 through 8. Better yet, go from 1 to 20 so your interface will be compatible with the existing FreeStyler Cue palette. This would also match FreeStyler's existing External Controls setup too.

Looking at your interface and your code, I can see that you must be looking for a solution to your stage application that's similar to what I'm in the process of setting up for my mobile DJ lighting system. I began programming FreeStyler using what seems to be your approach here. I first created several lighting sequences, then duplicated those scenes and applied different single and multicolor combinations to them. However, I stopped with that approach when several problems became apparent:
1) This approach creates too many sequences that are similar except for the colors.
2) Some sequences (scenes) don't look good with certain color schemes. Let's say that in your application, "Scene3" doesn't look good in the "Blue" theme, so you've only included "Scene3" in the "Yellow" theme. Well, then that really messes up your button layout, doesn't it? You have three scenes in the "Yellow" theme, but only two in the "Blue" theme. So when you switch between the "Yellow" and "Blue" theme, the right-hand buttons changes.
3) This method of "hard-wiring" colors into the sequences wasn't flexible when adding new lighting. When I added new colored lights, I had to go through ALL of the scenes to make sure the new fixture would switch to the correct color for that scene or switch off if the scene was a color the fixture couldn't display. For example, after adding a green DMX laser to my system, I had to reprogram all the Blue, Red, Yellow, etc. sequences to turn the laser off because it didn't match the color scheme.

To resolve these problems, I've switched to a different way of programming my lighting. I've set up all my sequences (scenes) to run in white, then use the Override buttons to add color. This allows me to select from twenty sequences in the Cue palette and thirty different color combinations in the Override palette; in other words, 600 different sequence/color combinations to choose from with having only one cuelist playing and one override tab open! Adding new lighting (such as the green laser) is easier because I can override it's use (both on or off) just by reprogramming the color override sequences to have a quick-fix, then going into the cue sequences for more detailed use of the new fixture. I currently use the MIDI interface with a small external keyboard to trigger cues and overrides like what LJ suggests above.

So anyway, I think your interface could work better by having buttons that can trigger overrides as well. Currently, Cues and Overrides are on two separate palettes. I can see the logic of this: Having a separate Cue palette allows finer control over cues. I've been able to program my lights to avoid using them, though, and would rather see the cue buttons and the overrides on one palette. I'm hoping you go into this direction.

That's all for now. It's getting late! :D
reg

The simple freestyler

Post by reg »

Hi Gary,
I'm glad you like it.

The way that I have been programming the scenes is a touch different to what you might think, and this might help you. I have created a handful (7) master sequences, each of these has the RGB values or Colour PAR's etc turned off (so the scene doesnt affect the colour), I have then created 14 different colour effects, these scene's only change the RGB values, or turn on and off certain PAR cans, but do not affect the light sequences. Bear in mind that I am doing this for a church application, rather than a DJ situation so I have slightly different requirements. The software here that I have done should be able to trigger two scenes at once.

As far as allowing overrides, I think that will begin to become cumbersome, and this is designed as a super minimal interface.

Sorry about the XML, It was a quick hack that you have rightly pointed out is rubbish :)

I like the idea about icons, but I am going to put that down the list for a bit.

Jobs for this weekend:
-Make the XML file editable.
-Fix the startup code so that it doesn't crash.

Cheers

Reg
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Hi Reg,

I think we are doing nearly the same thing here. To get your scenes and colors to work together, using your Cue palette you select two cue sequences to run simultaneously, correct? If I understand what you are doing, the first cue you run is one of the seven "master sequences", and the second cue is one of the 14 "colour effects". The combination of these two cues running gives you your desired lighting setup and colors, right?

Regards,
Gary
reg

The simple freestyler

Post by reg »

Ok,

Update: I have tweaked the code that starts FS. Its still not pretty, but now somewhat robust. This will sure up in the future, but for now, if this loads FS for you, great, if not, tough.

I have also make the XML file an external file. If you search for a file called SceneConfig.xml. This is the XML file that controls the UI setup and which sequences it triggers.

Please give me any and all feedback. Seriously it helps. Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Gary, yes this is exactly what I am doing. Someone suggested today that a colour wheel would be a good alternative. Say 7 master scenes and a colour wheel to edit the RGB values over DMX. I might have a look at that next, it shouldn't be too hard. Thoughts??

Reg
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Re: The simple freestyler

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Hi Reg,
reg wrote:Gary, yes this is exactly what I am doing.
Then you should really give using both the Cue and Override palettes together a try. We're really doing the same thing with FreeStyler, and I did give your system of using multiple Cue buttons a try in the beginning myself. One weakness in that configuration is that you can easily have more than two Cues running at the same time, leading to unexpected scene and color combinations. I had to avoid using FreeStyler that way because nearly all my lighting is motorized, so running more than one Cue at a time never looks good. Another weakness is that you have to manually click one scene off before clicking on another. For theatre this may be okay. But for a disco setup, I can't have total darkness between scene changes, nor can I allow two scenes to overlap each other.

Try this:

-- Go to Setup > FreeStyler Setup > Preferences > Extra Options and disable "Cue Multiselect always enabled". With this option disabled, the "play" buttons on the Cue palette works in radio-button mode. You can only run one Cue at a time, and pressing a new cue automatically disables any other running Cue. In this setup, there's no blackouts or overlapping scenes when switching from one to another.

-- Before you close FreeStyler Setup, on the Extra Options page you can also enable "Open cue and overridebuttons on Startup". On my lighting controller laptop, I don't have a password on the computer and put a FreeStyler shortcut into Window's Startup folder to automatically launch the program. With this option enabled, I get the two working palettes automatically opened, and FreeStyler is ready to go just by powering up my computer. It's the fastest way to have everything running, and it's pretty much "idiot proof" too.

-- Open the Cue palette and load your seven "master sequences" (scenes) onto the page.

-- Open the "Programmable override buttons" pallet by clicking the button next to the Cue icon.

-- Load your fourteen "colour effects" onto the override buttons.

-- On each of the 30 buttons on the tab, right-click each button and enable the "Disable all other buttons" option. Like the Cue palette, doing this to all the buttons makes them work in radio-button mode.

This is how my controller is set up, and I think you'll find this easier to work with too.

If I am imagining your theater lighting rig correctly, what you may want to try is creating a few FreeStyler sequences that turn on some fixtures 100% all-white. Then, load these onto the Override palette buttons, but disable the "Disable all other buttons" option for that particular button. This will allow that particular override button to put a 100% white spotlight on your actors or props that's associated with that fixture, while your "regular" Override buttons are being used to set the scene's overall colors.
Someone suggested today that a colour wheel would be a good alternative. Say 7 master scenes and a colour wheel to edit the RGB values over DMX. I might have a look at that next, it shouldn't be too hard. Thoughts??
I can see the logic, but I doubt that you would light your stage a single color at any given time. More likely you'd use a single or multiple color combo for background actors and props, then use white or some other bright color on the main actor (or a featured prop). In my disco lighting setup, I don't often go monochrome either because it's simply bland. I have seven basic monochrome presets, and I also use many more preconfigured two- and three-colored combinations. A few examples:

"Spring": Yellow & Green
"Fall": Red & Orange
"XMas": Green & Red
"Phillies": Red & White
"Eagles": Green & White
"Jets": Blue & White
"Chargers": Blue & Yellow
"COPS": Red & Blue
"Broncos": Blue & Orange
"Patriots": Red, White & Blue
"Reggae": Green, Yellow & Red
"Rainbow": Red, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue & Violet
"Chase": Fixtures set to color chase mode
"Strobe": Selected fixtures set to strobe mode

[Most of these are obviously named after the American sports teams that use those colors.]

Another reason why a color wheel control may be unnecessary is that many lighting fixtures do not work in RGB mode. With scanners and moving-head fixtures, colors are selected through a small number of fixed glass filters internally mounted on a motorized wheel. Some LED fixtures may have three-color LEDs in them, but they don't necessarily work in RGB mode either. Instead, these fixtures use one DMX channel to select color on a 256-scale spectrum, and another DMX channel used to select overall brightness. I think if you're trying to "idiot proof" this controller, you probably don't want the lighting operator to have this kind of freedom. I don't allow it in my DJ setup because I know some colors simply look awful. I only keep the good combinations pre-programmed on my override palette, leaving out the possibility the lightman will waste time fooling around with it! [Which could be me, if I'm not DJing at the moment... ;) ]

I'll give your updated program a try later this week. It's Sunday night, one of the best nights for television.... :)

ETA: In addition to "Blackout", some people would probably want one or all the other controls on there: Favorite, Freeze, Master Intensity, and Master Speed.
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Hi Reg,
I finally had a chance last night to give your latest version a try. (Was busy lately with the day job.) The ZIPped installer had only shortcuts and no program. I installed the program using the setup program in your Source Code ZIP. I couldn't get the program to run with FreeStyler either not running or already running. The error message I got said something like 'FreeStyler main window not found'.
-Gary
reg

Post by reg »

Attached is yet another build. I saw the code that was causing your installation to fail. I think it should be more robust now.

I dont know what happened last time to give you only shortcuts, but this one is better.

Let me know what you think.

Reg
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Hi Reg, I got this program to install.

This version still did not start FreeStyler automatically for me. I am running the newest FreeStyler 3.2 on a 64-bit Vista system. For my OS, the FreeStyler program file is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeStyler" folder (rather than "C:\Program Files\FreeStyler"), so this may be a cause to the problem. With FreeStyler already running, this version did work.

The installer failed to put the XML file in the program folder, so the interface was blank when I first started it up. When I placed the XML file into the program folder, I was able to get the menus to appear. The program appears to work correctly, and I was able to switch between the five sample sequences.

I find your button labels and descriptions better than what's currently available on FreeStyler, but I still don't see you going in a direction that I would find useful or efficient. For example, to switch from the Yellow Preshow sequence to the Blue Preshow sequence requires two clicks: First on the "Blue" in the left column, and second on "Preshow" on the right. This doesn't make things more efficient, one might as well go back to FreeStyler's Cue palette where in one single click you can switch from sequence 1 to sequence 4. Also, until you add controls to switch cues, this approach is limited to twenty sequences total.

On Friday, I began experimenting with FreeStyler's built-in touchscreen mode, and I have to agree with Remko_K that it could be sufficient for your application. For example, based upon your XML file and UI setup, in FreeStyler's "Touchscreen Userinterface 2" mode you can replicate your current XML controls with six touchscreen buttons: Your five example buttons and a Blackout button--all accessible with a single click, rather than navigating through panels. You can even color code your buttons for Yellow, Blue, and any other themes.

As far as the touchscreen is concerned, it's 99% there for me and only missing a few features that would get me to use it. To give you an idea of my requirements, I already have about 12 Cues that hold about 205 Sequences, and an additional 60 color Overrides programmed on my console. (Many sequences are duplicated across the 12 cues because I need certain scenes always accessible, so there's actually only about 75 unique sequences on my system.) So as it stands, unless if you intend to expand your UI to allow accessing Cues and Overrides, I have to honestly say I don't see it turning into something I could use.

Regards,
Gary
Last edited by GaryBonaducci on October 18th, 2009, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA

Post by Mattotone »

GaryBonaducci wrote:Hi Reg, I got this program to install.

This version still did not start FreeStyler automatically for me. I am running the newest FreeStyler 3.2 on a 64-bit Vista system. For my OS, the FreeStyler program file is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeStyler" folder (rather than "C:\Program Files\FreeStyler"), so this may be a cause to the problem. With FreeStyler already running, this version did work.

The installer failed to put the XML file in the program folder, so the interface was blank when I first started it up. When I placed the XML file into the program folder, I was able to get the menus to appear. The program appears to work correctly, and I was able to switch between the five sample sequences.
i also had this same issue, there was also no start menu entry, have you considered making this a plugin?

also, if you were to make the blackout button smaller and added a favorite/home button as well as a "go" button.
this would meet my exact needs. (or included source on your next release and il add my own ;)

heres how i will use it.
i have a lot of generic scenes and sequences used for a band, which i normally just freestyle with.
so in the left column would have the song name, and i the right would be the list of scenes/sequences that fit the song in the order i play them. hitting "Go" goes to the next cue.
the Favorite button is setup to bring on par cans for facial illumination and a nice color wash, used in between songs.

ps. Please post latest versions in post 1, this way people don't have to skip through all the comments to find the program. and then just advise in a new post that the new version is avaliable for those who just skip to the last pages.Iv done you some artwork if you wish to use it :fs:
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
reg

Post by reg »

Hey,

I have finally got around to having another play with this.

Changes:
  • Changed the layout of the window, such that it resizes correctly and looks better (in my opinion)
  • The software now continuously checks if FS is running and blocks the screen if it is not.
  • A menu bar has been added. It allows editing of the XML file with notepad.
  • A few other code clean-up things.
  • Removed the installer as it was rubbish.
To install. Unzip the files and place them anywhere you like. The xml file and the exe need to be in the same place.
You will also need .Net 3.5 SP1 runtimes.

Let me know what you think.

I have added the new version to the first post as requested.

I would really appreciate comments now. I feel it is working perfectly for my needs (it is going into a live installation tonight)

And a big thanks to Raph for 3.2.1!!!! Its awesome! Cheers!!!

Return to “FreeStyler 3rd Party Addons and utilities”