These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Y shaped DMX cable

Have a Tip? Share IT!
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Y shaped DMX cable

Post by dmxlighting »

Make a special DMX cable ie 5pin or 3pin from your desk / dongle to 2 x 5pin or 3pin.
Wire your input as normal (probably pin3 hot) then on the other 2 ends, wire one as pin2 hot and one as pin3 hot.
This is most handy when testing unfamiliar fixtures. Saves hunting out a converter cable.

(note - I do not recommend using both ends at the same time, it might work but it shouldn't and can cause problems)

(female)XLR Pin2 Hot (female)XLR Pin3 Hot
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
(male)XLR Pin3 Hot

The diagram has not come out correctly, Ill post it as a jpeg at some point

Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: Y shaped DMX cable

Post by remco_k »

Or just use the familiar phase inverter adapter from Neutrik: NA3FMX
http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/210_ ... etail.aspx

Or easily create one of those youself. With an XLR Male and XLR Female with a small piece of wire in between, and cross pins 2 and 3.
So:
XLR-M---->XLR-F
PIN 1------>PIN 1
PIN 2------>PIN 3
PIN 3------>PIN 2

Making an Y connector should work just as good, but ONLY use those in controlled test situations, not in live situations. As the Y-adapter is not conform the standard and signal reflections may* occur bigtime, causing your other fixtures to fail or "misfire".

Then, if you (think you) need a phase flip, use this NA3FMX phase converter and you're safe to use it live.
Using this inverter also does'nt look "strange" to other technichians, where the Y-phase-inverter-adapter does.

* I say "may" because the chance for errors is somewhat unlikely if you leave 1 of the 2 ends open and if that end is nothing more then like 10 CM / few inches of loose cable. Don't(!) make a long cable on that ending in nothing, or as said, don't connect both "outputs" to DMX equipment.

Furthermore, I read over and over again about converter cables.
I guess people mean that that particular DMX cable is crosswired as I noted before, only the cable is not about 10 CM (or an adapter, like the NA3FMX) but a cable with longer length to run from 1 fixture to another?
I think no one should be using these XLR cables, as I find it may be confusing. My opinion is: "An XLR cable used to interconnect equipment should always be an 1:1 cable", if not, people using them will be in error one of these days.
If you need a phase flip, attach an extra converter in between like one of the 3 options above. So if someone else lookes at your setup, he (or she :mrgreen: ) immediately sees that you are using some kind of converter for some reason.
If you were using the phase flip cable (marked or not), it may be overlooked that its a phase flip cable, with errors to occur because of that.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl

Return to “Tips from the Pros!”