These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

ArtNet won't work with FS - Error Initiating ArtNet

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
jmo2610
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

ArtNet won't work with FS - Error Initiating ArtNet

Post by jmo2610 »

I have a Chauvet DMX-AN2 that I'm trying to get to work with FS. It works over my network with iPad apps (like Vibrio and Photon), but it will not work with Freestyler. No matter what settings input, I get the error message 'Error Initiating Artnet."

I'm using the generic ArtNet setting (but have tried Enttec Ode), with Network Adaptor IP as the ip of my actual router, as well as my computer. And broadcast address as the ip of the Chauvet.

Nothing works. Is this a software thing, or a user error?

Motsik
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/motsik

Re: ArtNet won't work with FS - Error Initiating ArtNet

Post by Motsik »

Install .Net 3.5
jmo2610

Post by jmo2610 »

Well, I did that. Restarted the computer. Still getting the error. Or just nothing happening at all. When I reopen setup, the Network Adaptor address is always blank, so I have to re-enter the address. That network address is the address of my router. My laptop is .125. Both give me the Error Initiating ArtNet error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Motsik

Post by Motsik »

I think you have wrong ArtNet values
freestyler.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmo2610

Post by jmo2610 »

Is your address in the Network Adapter spot the IP for your computer, or for your router? I've attached pics of my Chauvet settings, plus another try mimicking your settings.
SiGNe
FreeStyler Version: 4.14
I Use FreeStyler for: Home Lighting Control

Post by SiGNe »

jmo2610 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 8:53 pm Is your address in the Network Adapter spot the IP for your computer, or for your router? I've attached pics of my Chauvet settings, plus another try mimicking your settings.
In the chauvet image it says to use 192.168.1.93
broadcast adress is 255.255.255.255
But i think you can set is in the chauvet settings to DHCP too instead of manual.
Motsik

Post by Motsik »

Manual IP both PC and Artnet is better.
Also, universe need to be 0 0 in freestyler
Show us your computer network adapter settingns please
jmo2610

Post by jmo2610 »

I assumed assigning a static IP to the Chauvet would be more reliable than DHCP. I've attached the network adapter settings from my laptop. Every time I get the Artnet error, and then re-open the FreeStyler setup window, it automatically changes my "Network Adapter" to 192.168.1.125, which is the address of my laptop. It doesn't matter what address I had just put there. It goes back to that address no matter what.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but is it normal for FS to crash every time I change the universe number? Every single time it does it.
Motsik

Post by Motsik »

Have you tried this settings?
Laptop

Freestyler
Network 192.168.1.125
Broadcast 192.168.1.93
jmo2610

Post by jmo2610 »

Motsik wrote: March 19th, 2021, 6:13 pm Have you tried this settings?
Laptop

Freestyler
Network 192.168.1.125
Broadcast 192.168.1.93
When I try to change my default gateway to .93 on my laptop, Windows gives me a bunch of warnings that it will not work.
Gigshot
FreeStyler Version: X2
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by Gigshot »

For anyone else still struggling with this, I've just fixed my set up which may give someone a bit of extra insight..

I was fortunate that I already had a laptop set up, running FS and successfully connecting to ArtNet so when I tried to set up a back-up laptop with exactly the same settings it was easier for me to rule out some of the variables.

In reply to JMO2610, I also experienced that any attempt to change the universe number caused the app to close but it did seem to save the setting when checking after restart. I also experienced the lack of an IP address in the network settings field but at other times this was prefilled by my laptop IP.

After multiple attempts at restarting FS and rebooting the PC I finally fixed it by removing and reinstalling FS. My guess is that I caused the problem by continuing with the original installation even after being warned that .NET 3.5 was missing. I installed .NET after installing FS and as mentioned then restarted both the app and the laptop. However I suspect that FS must be installed AFTER .NET as it was the reinstall that was my final cure, not any of the IP or other settings that may lead others astray.

So in summary,
  • Microsoft.NET 3.5 must be installed BEFORE installing Freestyler. If you get the warning during FS install, quit and install .NET first, then do a new clean install of FS.
  • The network IP should be your PC IP
  • The broadcast address should be set in your ArtNet node
  • The universe settings should be 0, 0. (and don't panic if the app 'crashes' (closes) when you change this setting, the new value should be there on restart.
:fs:
jesseHe
FreeStyler Version: 4
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by jesseHe »

Reinstalling also worked for me. Thanks! (Unfortunately, i took me a month of troubleshooting and even trying other software before i found this thread).

Return to “DMX Interfaces”