These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

no smooth pan/tilt - 16bit correction possible?

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
der_mick
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 6
I Use FreeStyler for: Eurovision

no smooth pan/tilt - 16bit correction possible?

Post by der_mick »

Hi,

I just found out that my moving heads don't work correctly with the pan and tilt 16 bit channels. Is there any way to let freestyler just use a range of 0 to 200, not 0 to 255?

I didn't find anything in this forum or in the fixture setup. I tried the corrections in Setup > Preferences > Correction but there I can only add or substract offsets. If I could use a multiplication like " * 0.78" my problem would be solved ;-)

Thanks for any hints or advice!!

Michael

Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: no smooth pan/tilt - 16bit correction possible?

Post by Rod_Horning »

I suppose one possibility is to use Custom Sliders. A drawback to that approach is that 2 sliders are required for Pan and 2 for Tilt.

You also might use the Fixture Creator to edit the fixture definition to set the pan and tilt ranges. (I do not know what effect this will have, it is just a suggestion to try).
der_mick

Post by der_mick »

Thanks for your answer!
But this using the sliders does only work for positioning the beam, not for the fades between two positions or for bezier shapes.
The pan and tilt ranges only describe in which angle the moving head can be moved but does not have an effect on the smoothiness of the movement itself.
Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by Rod_Horning »

Yes, the sliders are used to set the final position you want. The slider "fade" is however fast or slow you move the slider (also the setting of the pan/tilt speed if the instrument supports such a function).

In a sequence you can set the "fade" time. For any channel that is set for fade (green icon), Freestyler will vary the DMX value (thus the position) from the value (position) when the step in the sequence begins to run to the final value (position) across the fade time.

Using the Fx (effects) generator you can limit the Amplitude which addresses your 0-255 issue on the 255 side. For the 0 side see if the Offset parameter helps. I've never used this so I do not know.

Thank you for the update on the ranges.

Just a thought. Some instruments have a configuration option for pan/tilt of either 8 bits or 16 bits. I've read posts from other users that have observed that 8 bit moves are not as smooth as 16 bit moves.
der_mick

Post by der_mick »

Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem.

Yes, the FX generator can be used to produce values in a certain range. And I could use them for the Pan16bit or Tilt16bit channel. But still they are in no relation at all to the values in the pan and tilt channels and the moves freestyler calculates between two positions in a fade.

> Just a thought. Some instruments have a configuration option for pan/tilt of either 8 bits or 16 bits.
> I've read posts from other users that have observed that 8 bit moves are not as smooth as 16 bit moves.

That's my problem. I'm using the 16 bits to get smoother moves. With 8 bits it would just be a hopping from point to point. But my fixtures have an error positioning the 16 bits channel correctly. This I why I asked for a possibility to adjust these values in freestyler (in my case: only use a range of 0 to 200).
Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Jan_K »

It is the 16 bit / fine tune channel which has an error. ?
And it is only the 16 bit channel you want to limit?
/Jan
der_mick

Post by der_mick »

Yes, only the fine tune channel (on both pan and tilt).
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

It is not possible.

The reason is that the two channel (8bit and 16bit) in combination gives the total of 16 bit.
It correspond to masking out the last 4 bit if it has to make sense.
FreeStyler will send the full 16 bit and then the manufacture of the fixture decide how many of the bits to use.
I don't think you will find any sw. which will give the possibility to limit the pan and tilt channels that way.

And yes 8 bit channel only will give you a rough movement.
If you have a 560 deg movement with 8 bit, then 1 bit step will give 2.2 deg. and on 10m distance it will give you 38cm movement.

/Jan
der_mick

Post by der_mick »

Jan, thank you, although that was the answer I was afraid of ;-)

It would have been so great to have a possibilty to change these values in the correction table. But I guess I'm the only one with this problem :-(
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

I will say that it is more that a problem.

If you limit the 16Bit to 250 it will then in each shift in the 8Bit channel give a discontinuity in the movement
pt_movement.jpg
If you look in this figure then the right shows a step in movement and this step will come for each value in the 8Bit channel and 16Bit channel is tailing out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
der_mick

Post by der_mick »

That's true. Right at the moment, my moves look like in the attached file.

Therefore I would need a limitation to a value rather than stripping bits. Or just a multiplication or a factor in the correction table. In this case all values on this channel * 0.8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A

Post by remco_k »

Check the fixture file in the fixture creator, maybe it has some sort of wrong setting in it. (also check the custom sliders tab if nothing is there for the pan/tilt channels)
And while you are there, if all seems good, you can try and leave the 16 bit pan/tilt values blank. Forcing 8 bit movents instead of 16 bit. Maybe this solves the problem at the cost of some precision.

You can also try to see the freestyler monitor output, and look at the pan/tilt 8 and 16 bit DMX values yourself and determine that they seem to be okay, -or- they seem to also be bugged and therefore your fixture responds badly to it.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl

Return to “FreeStyler Software”