These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Freestyler and S2L locking up after a few minutes

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
FLTRider
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Freestyler and S2L locking up after a few minutes

Post by FLTRider »

First of all, I am not a DJ or anything related to this industry. I simply was fascinated with self teaching myself lighting via DMX. So, I bought a Lixada USB DMX 512 interface, and few fixtures off Amazon and I simply started playing. Eventually I will be able to give some pointers on figuring out DMX mapping to other newbies, but first I have a slight problem.

I have 2 Laluce Natz 18 LED Pars that I have created a fixture for and they work perfectly. I then enabled S2L using Spotify as my source. I have the Pars in one group and I have S2L configured so that it sends the same random codes to each fixture. Again, this also works perfectly......for about 10 minutes. The Freestyler and S2l will stop responding for a few minutes and the lights with hold the last value. They will then start again, but in a few minutes both Windows will stop responding. It will pick up a few more times, but eventually it simply stops and both Freestyler and S2L are locked up. I have to close and restart. I am running Windows 10 Pro. The laptop is certainly no speed demon as it is a single core machine, older, but has 8G of Ram and a 1TB SSD. It is actually quit fast for its age since I put in the new SSD and doubled the RAM. Also, resources are not taxed at all. Is there a memory leak or issue with S2L I am not aware of? Is there a way to give more priority to the programs? Thanks again!!!

djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Re: Freestyler and S2L locking up after a few minutes

Post by djSupport »

Please report on the bug tracker https://www.freestylersupport.com/bugs
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

For everybody's convenience, this is my reply to the bug report:
If you are actually using S2L version 1.0.1.11, its old, then please update to version 2: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
(I am not aware of what version is being delivered in the FreeStyler setup).

If the problem still persists with v2:
Your system has more than enough power to run this, so something is obviously going wrong. S2L is a plugin for FreeStyler, so if FreeStyler stops responding, chances are that S2L becomes a victim of that.

If the case is that FreeStyler and S2L both stop responding, then the problem is most probably in FreeStyler. FreeStyler stops responding because of some internal problem (might be a driver issue with your uDMX, for example), and it takes S2L down with it. That needs to be investigated so I know its a S2L problem, or not.

Please do a small test:
You can test if S2L is capable of running for a long time by starting S2L without starting FreeStyler: browse to C:\FreeStyler\ and double click SL.exe, press the start button and let it do what it does for as long as you would like (again: without starting FreeStyler). My guess is it will run just fine for hours. If that is the case, all is good with S2L and the problem is somewhere in FreeStyler, which is not maintained by me, but by Raph.

If it seems the problem is in FreeStyler, you might try to see if it all keeps working while letting FreeStyler output to a virtual interface. If that seems to be working okay, you migth have a driver issue with your uDMX. If not, I think the best way is to recreate a new bug report, FreeStyler / Raph.

Please let me know what the results are.
Regards,
Remco
As you can see, I'm thinking its not a problem with S2L, but with FreeStyler itself, or the uDMX driver or something else on the system that is taking FreeStyler down. Hope it works out, happy to hear what the outcome is.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la

Post by djSupport »

Cheers
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
tomacor
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.49

Post by tomacor »

Use a DMX isolator and see if I'll work for you. I had the same problem before with a Lixada uDmx usb interface

Return to “FreeStyler Software”