These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Midi Input Not Working

Questions regarding general external control forum.
kevinmpeters
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Midi Input Not Working

Post by kevinmpeters »

Hi All,

I'm finding the midi starting of sequences to be VERY intermittent. I'm sending midi code from an app called Bandhelper through a Tbox 2x2. Most of the time it won't start, it does occasionally. I can see in MidiOX that my computer is receiving the right midi hex

Note On, Note 40, Ch 17, Velocity 127 (9F 28 7F). I'm at a loss for getting this thing working and am about to ditch this software and go learn something else. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

-Kevin

Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Re: Midi Input Not Working

Post by Mattotone »

In midi setup,
select page independent
click start sequence one
click lern
press a button on your midi controler
press learn again.
press save.
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
kevinmpeters
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: Midi Input Not Working

Post by kevinmpeters »

Thanks @Mattotone - turns out the issue wasn't learning at all but that FreeStyler basically can't deal with only a Midi Note On - it has to have the corresponding Note Off from my testing. I did a bunch of testing with Reaper and BandHelper and reading the hex with MidiOX and found that Reaper which worked consistently always sent the "Note Off" immediately after the note on. I adjusted my hex to be the following in BandHelper and it now works as expected:
9F 28 7F
8F 28 00

It doesn't say in the guides that this is needed but maybe it is obvious if someone knows more about midi than I do. If the app would work off of regular PC and CC that would have made it much friendlier - I've programmed our entire show to do that with 3 different fractals and all work fine with just a CC/PC. I am starting on some work in Go Monkey next to try to make my life easier on building sequences - especially when they are locked to a click track and I want the changes to happen based on measure/beat. If you have any suggestions on good tutorials on that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Kevin

Return to “General Midi Controllers”