These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

FS Stops Responding after about 10 secs

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
jtlayne
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3635
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

FS Stops Responding after about 10 secs

Post by jtlayne »

So, I am pretty familiar with Freestyler and also an IT guy. I bought a new laptop and loaded the exact same driver for my Udmx dongle and same version of Freestyler also. I think what is happening is that there is some USB power saving setting somewhere and after about 10 seconds it shuts the port off due to inactivity. I can plug the dongle into a different USB port and it picks right back up and then after 10 secs stops responding to commands again.

I have gone into power settings and have disabled the USB selective suspend setting and continuing to look for any additional power settings. Any help is greatly appreciated as I have a gig tonight. Old laptop works perfectly however.

Thanks,
JT

jtlayne

Re: FS Stops Responding after about 10 secs

Post by jtlayne »

UPDATE: Found the extra power settings under device manager>USB Root Hub and turned them off.

However, now what happens is usually in under a minute when running sequences and overrides it stops responding and device manager shows a "this device cannot start (Code 10) error. After about another minute is snaps back to life. Then repeats again.

The driver I downloaded on my old laptop is the same driver I am using on the new one. However, it was created in 2014. It does not appear there any other updates for it so any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
JT
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mattotone »

Not had this dmx device so unable to troubleshoot however, I have found a driver install guide for Windows 10 (link bellow)
cheaper DMX interfaces are prone to this type of locking up, the enttec open for example is prone to lock up due to electrical noise / interferance, there is a mod on here that fixes this.

The best option is to look at either a DMX king or Enttec pro interface.

http://blog.ricohansen.dk/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=45
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
jtlayne

Post by jtlayne »

Update: I know it has been a while, but I figured I would update as to what I have done further to figure out what is going on.

I backed up my old laptop that everything was working fine on and decided to reinstall Windows and everything from scratch. To my surprise I am not having the exact same thing happen on my old laptop that was working before I just wiped it and reinstalled everything. So, 2 new installations of Win 10 on 2 separate laptops gives me the same result. However, I am 99% sure if I restored my old laptop that was working that it would continue to work.

At this point I am going to try Mattotone's suggestion and try the DMX Kind USB interface to see how that goes.
UR12
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by UR12 »

I fought this problem for a while at a theater where I run lights. I tried every setting for the USB ports and nothing fixed it. I only have this problem on laptops running Windows 10. I have an older laptop with XP that works great. I think it has to do with the way windows 10 controls the usb ports power. What I did to fix it was to get a cheap USB hub that had its own power supply. Plug the hub into the computer and plug your interface into the hub. The hub will now supply power to your DMX interface and you wont have anymore problems with the usb ports powering down anymore.
SiGNe
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 4.14
I Use FreeStyler for: Home Lighting Control

Post by SiGNe »

In device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers> USB Root Hub>Power Management turn "Allow the computer to turn off this device to safe power" off.
Might help..
jtlayne

Post by jtlayne »

@UR12 Thanks. Not a bad idea to try out if the new DMX King adapter I bought doesn't resolve it. Some part of me truly feels like it could be the drive and since it was last updated in 2014 it could be that.

@Signe I have already disabled that and it still will stop responding, then come back, and on etc.

I will test out the DMX King adapter and see how it goes. It really wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft has hidden things in the OS to control power to conserve battery/power.
SiGNe
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 4.14
I Use FreeStyler for: Home Lighting Control

Post by SiGNe »

Under the advanced tab of the com port, is "enable selective suspend" on?

Return to “FreeStyler Software”