These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Flash button with fade-in and/or fade-out

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
kabak_85
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.646
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Flash button with fade-in and/or fade-out

Post by kabak_85 »

Hello,

I wanted to make effect like blinder effect and other with my Led "PAR".

The first effect i want is full light when i press the button and an fade-out when i release it. So, i try to do an sequence with a snap action on the first step and a fade action on the second step.

I put it in the override in an flash button, i can maintain the light but it's only "on/off", it cannot execute an "release step".

I try to put the sequence in the CUE and use the control "loop on/off" but i can't hold the sequence on an step while the button is pressed.

Is there an other way to do what i want ?

Best regards.
Last edited by kabak_85 on July 15th, 2018, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speak English / Parle Français.
Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: Flash button with fade-in and/or fade-out

Post by Partyman »

You cannot use steps in override buttons, use overrides for colors, gobos,.... you will have to run anything with steps from a sequence in the cue window
kabak_85

Post by kabak_85 »

"I don't care what anything was designed to do. I care about what it can do." :lol:

I know that override buttons is designed for static scenes. I already have a page for colours, dimmer level, strobe effect ...

But like i said before, i don't want to make an ordinary sequence with timed step. I want to stay on step one until i release the cue, override or whatever button.

I am looking for something which can act like an flash override button but with an specific action on release.

In the override button menu, it's possible to enable the fade-in if the first step sequence set to fade but the "fade-out" function doesn't exist.

Before making an suggestion to the developer, i'm looking for an other way. But there is an other way ? That the question.
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

No There is no other way to do what it is that you want. There are only two ways of running things in freestyler: Either overrides (which cannot run steps) or sequence window (submasters or Cuelists). In order to get what you are wanting would require a rewrite of the software and I doubt that Raph will do that. You are best served by working within the parameters of this "Free" software than asking for a rewrite to suit your needs.
kabak_85

Post by kabak_85 »

Partyman wrote: July 15th, 2018, 8:32 am In order to get what you are wanting would require a rewrite of the software and I doubt that Raph will do that.
I know. I suggest in "ideas and remarks" section, he decide.
Partyman wrote: July 15th, 2018, 8:32 am You are best served by working within the parameters of this "Free" software than asking for a rewrite to suit your needs.
What i do when i ask for help, isn't it ?

If there is no way in Freestyler, maybe i can do it with a plug-in.
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

After rethinking what you are asking for I now believe it is not even possible to get what you are wanting in a flash button no matter what. In your scenario you want to hold down a button as long as you wish then release it and have a slow fade out. This will never work because releasing the button will end whatever sequence that is running eliminating the ability to fade out. The only way to make it at all will be with pre determined times.
best of luck to you
Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Nathanrs93 »

I can imagine that the only way of achieving something like this, would be to use software like Avolites, Martin-PC or MagicQ. They offer more features and will help you achieve more of the effect you are looking for.
PhantomDj
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.49

Post by PhantomDj »

Actually the effect you're looking after is difficult to achieve with LED lights in the first place.
Programming an override button to flash some true blinders (that use ordinary lamps instead of LED's) will work the way you imagine.

Another way to achieve this it would be to adjust your light gear dimming curves IF they offer such...
Several light fixtures offer dimming curves and dimming timing controlable via DMX. Cheap lights usually don't offer such features but you should check your fixtures manuals in case they do. For a fixture that has these features it's easy to achieve the effect you want via a flash button if you set the according parameters correctly.
surfvill
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5

Post by surfvill »

Since I'd change my blinders to LED not so long time ago I've been looking for a solution exactely in the same issue!!!
The imediate reaction of LEDs don't give the right blinder effect...
It would be great to have a fade-in+fade-out on override (flash-)buttons! I'm already thinking of switching back to hallogen blinders
doctorzorro
I Use FreeStyler for: Eurovision

Post by doctorzorro »

For anyone interested, there is a way to do something close to what you want.
I use one submaster as a kind of special effects "box" to do animated flashes and strobes on fixtures that don't have fade or strobe. Simply create a sequence that does the desired flash/fade, put it in your "special" submaster that is configured as a single shot. Every time you start the desired flash you hold the trigger for as long as te sequence needs to complete. There are two issues with this. First, it only allows for fixed timing of the flash, so a blinder effect will allways produce the same time "on" before fading out.The only way to have control over how long the flash will last is by controlling the submaster's speed. Second, releasing the trigger before the sequence is complete might leave the fixture in an uncontrolled "on" state which can only be terminated by hitting it again and holding the trigger long enough for the seq. to end and fade out. Interestingly, if the fixture is also controlled by other sequences in other submasters, it will try to blend to it''s next value. This can be annoying since you're not sure when the next move will be but on the other hand, it does give smooth fades. I do this with a dmx-constant voltage led dimmer that is driving 32 highpower led's that look just like traditional halogen blinders. Normally they run a sparkling effect or some kind of running effect but when I hit the flash sequence in the special oneshot submaster, it flashes and then fades back to the sparkle effect when released. Looks very natural, and with fade like a real glowbulb.
Red lights are bad for ya, mmkay?

Return to “FreeStyler Software”