These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Fade time steps

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...
FreeStyler Version: 4.1
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Fade time steps

Post by Crrispy »

Hello,

Why are the fade time steps 500 ms, and then why isn't it possible to go below 500 ms?

Thanks.

FS Notebook for parties: i5 vpro, 4GB, SSD, Intel gfx, Win 10
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Re: Fade time steps

Post by djSupport »

its because under 500ms is really fast u might aswell have it on 'snap'!
and thats what its always been although maybe a change is needed.... for more customization.
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...
FreeStyler Version: 4.1

Post by Crrispy »

Yes, true for under 500ms, but still don't understand why 500ms steps above when scene time has 100ms steps.
FS Notebook for parties: i5 vpro, 4GB, SSD, Intel gfx, Win 10
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

i guess you mean why can you go lower in scene time then in fade time?

well it takes time for a light to fade from a to b so requires a longer scene time.
if the fade times short and the scene time is shorter than the fade time then the fade wont be completed and the effect wont be what you want it to be.

if the light is set to snap you could have a 'instant' scene time more or less so lets say u have a flash of a strobe then a flash of an led parcan if there both set to snap and the scene time is the lowest it can be then you wont have - strobe flash.........................................................................leds flash...................................................strobe flash ..............................................................led flash.

you'll have strobeflash.ledflash.strobeflash.ledflash

if that makes sense...

also alot of DMX devices in freestyler are simple devices that wont be able to keep up with the dmx rate (speed of all those changing values) if you have lots of fade times under 500ms and scene times.

theres less work being done on snap set lights as FS just sends the dmx value 127 or something to the light where as on fade it will send 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 all the way up to 127 (inbetween that fade time)

I hope im making sense!
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
madgadget
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2

Post by madgadget »

Old tread, still relevant. Lighting has come on a long way now, especially with LED bars etc, This needs to be updated and reduced so that it can also go down to 0.1 sec. I have a LED bar which if I run fairly fast, the leds never turn fully off. Strobe is too much. You couldn't for example achieve a "night rider" effect.
Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by Rod_Horning »

Suggest you go to The Bug Tracker (top of page link) and put in this request.
madgadget
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2

Post by madgadget »

Good idea.
A Gentle
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater

Post by A Gentle »

It's a bit of a hack, but you can achieve a faster fade time by setting the sequence/global speed to a higher value. If you have a fade time of 500 ms and you'd like 100 ms, set your speed to 500%. Multiply the other times in the sequence by 5 for real time results, say, if you wanted the step to last for one second, clearly you'd need to set it to 5 seconds in the cue editor if you were using this method.
RobGal
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater

Post by RobGal »

A Gentle wrote: December 20th, 2017, 7:08 am It's a bit of a hack, but you can achieve a faster fade time by setting the sequence/global speed to a higher value. If you have a fade time of 500 ms and you'd like 100 ms, set your speed to 500%. Multiply the other times in the sequence by 5 for real time results, say, if you wanted the step to last for one second, clearly you'd need to set it to 5 seconds in the cue editor if you were using this method.
Thankyou so much! Good idea :)
Roberto

Return to “FreeStyler Software”