These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

ARTNET2DMX ENttec pro bug

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
An1j21
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater

ARTNET2DMX ENttec pro bug

Post by An1j21 »

Hi, first I tried the bug tracking system, as someone else reported it will not let you enter a bug because it says "Progress is not filled in", there is no Progress field on the web page.

So I have tried to use the Artnet2DMX from version 3.6.40 with my Enttec pro dongle and have found it will not select that, it will select the Enttec open dongle and the Espilon ones though. When choosing the Enttec pro from the drop down list if never shows the com port selection drop down menu. If you type in "Enttec Pro" it sometimes will show the drop down. and you can save by using the file / exit menu. If you exit by hitting the X in the top right it most likely closes the window but part of it hangs in memory and prevents it being opened again.

PC, WIn 10, Enttec Pro

Thanks, Anij

buttza
FS is my life
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Re: ARTNET2DMX ENttec pro bug

Post by buttza »

Hi there,
Sounds like you are setting this up wrong.
If you are using an ArtNet device which it sounds like you are then you need to select Artnet and not Enttech devices. Artnet devices usually don't care about Comports because you are using Ethernet ports.
1. Have you connected the Enttech device to your network via a cable.
2. do you have the IP address of the Enttech device
3. Is your laptop connected to the same network as your Enttech device?
3. Can you ping the device using CMD Ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from your laptop?
4. Did your Enttech device come with some software to poll the device from your computer?
5. once you get a response via ping from your Artnet - DMX interface on your computer then try to setup Freestyler.

If you get stuck as some more questions.
djmt992
FreeStyler Version: 3
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by djmt992 »

Oddly enough, I too am just experiencing this for the first time as well. I think Anij has it right, because I'm doing the same thing. I have an Enttec Pro device that I'm trying to use with ART-NET to DMX. I can save any other device by selecting it from the drop down, exiting out of the software, and then opening it again. HOWEVER, it will NOT save the Enttec Pro device by taking the same steps.

To answer your questions, buttza, the Enttec Pro is a USB to DMX device. There is no network connection. I am using this configuration with a loop back adapter within Windows for a particular project. I have confirmed this method works with other devices, however the Enttec Pro is the only device NOT saving.
buttza
FS is my life

Post by buttza »

Sorry, I am trying to figure out why you are trying to use Artnet to DMX when Enttech Pro is a USB to DMX? Doesn't make sense to me. USB to DMX is much different to Artnet to DMX. Much different protocols. This has worked for you in the past?
djmt992
FreeStyler Version: 3

Post by djmt992 »

buttza wrote: May 11th, 2017, 3:07 pm Sorry, I am trying to figure out why you are trying to use Artnet to DMX when Enttech Pro is a USB to DMX? Doesn't make sense to me. USB to DMX is much different to Artnet to DMX. Much different protocols. This has worked for you in the past?
Simple: I have a program that outputs Artnet and my system is DMX.

Of course USB > DMX is much different than Artnet > DMX. That's why we have the great utility "Artnet to DMX"

And yes, it has worked great before. However, the functionality of protocol is NOT the point of this thread. If you look back, it is impossible to "save" the Enttec interface. Can you shed some light on that particular query?
buttza
FS is my life

Post by buttza »

An1j21 wrote: May 8th, 2017, 5:06 pm So I have tried to use the Artnet2DMX from version 3.6.40 with my Enttec pro dongle and have found it will not select that, it will select the Enttec open dongle and the Espilon ones though. When choosing the Enttec pro from the drop down list if never shows the com port selection drop down menu.
1. Please note Artnet2DMX will not work with a Enttech Pro. Also Artnet2DMX is not n the list anyways. Only Artnet.
2. You can not select a Enttech pro Port without the unit being connected and installed with the correct drivers. This will save once the interface as been connect ed t the machine and correctly configured. ( I believe it then creates a profile for the device that is then saved.
djmt992 wrote: May 12th, 2017, 5:31 pm Of course USB > DMX is much different than Artnet > DMX. That's why we have the great utility "Artnet to DMX"

And yes, it has worked great before. However, the functionality of protocol is NOT the point of this thread. If you look back, it is impossible to "save" the Enttec interface. Can you shed some light on that particular query?
In response to your comment, my point is the user is asking a question that doesn't make sense so I am asking questions to isolate what the user is actually trying to workout. In his question he is mixing an incorrect protocol with a device that doesn't read it. So as stated in my previous response I am trying to work out what he is trying to use and what he is trying to select. :) But feel free not listen to anything that I have responded with. I have no issue with my devices. Thanks.
radisce

Post by radisce »

Hi Guys,
I've too faced the problem with my enttec pro, definitely it seems to be a bug that prevents the selection of an enttec pro to be saved in the configuration. Has anybody found a solution?

Thanks in advance
frank01
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by frank01 »

buttza wrote: May 16th, 2017, 3:10 am
An1j21 wrote: May 8th, 2017, 5:06 pm So I have tried to use the Artnet2DMX from version 3.6.40 with my Enttec pro dongle and have found it will not select that, it will select the Enttec open dongle and the Espilon ones though. When choosing the Enttec pro from the drop down list if never shows the com port selection drop down menu.
1. Please note Artnet2DMX will not work with a Enttech Pro. Also Artnet2DMX is not n the list anyways. Only Artnet.
2. You can not select a Enttech pro Port without the unit being connected and installed with the correct drivers. This will save once the interface as been connect ed t the machine and correctly configured. ( I believe it then creates a profile for the device that is then saved.
djmt992 wrote: May 12th, 2017, 5:31 pm Of course USB > DMX is much different than Artnet > DMX. That's why we have the great utility "Artnet to DMX"

In response to your comment, my point is the user is asking a question that doesn't make sense so I am asking questions to isolate what the user is actually trying to workout. In his question he is mixing an incorrect protocol with a device that doesn't read it. So as stated in my previous response I am trying to work out what he is trying to use and what he is trying to select. :) But feel free not listen to anything that I have responded with. I have no issue with my devices. Thanks.
ok... Again

for all the neh sayers that its not possible. IT IS.

we ar talking about the stand alone app of freestyler called artnet to dmx!! (its even in the name hehehe)

its a tool with its purpose to translate a artnet signal (physical or emulated through loopback) to a dmx usb dongle. you can select the same dongles as you would in freestyler itself..

why?

because the tool gives people like us the possibility to use (for example) ma dot2 software on 1 universe and confert the artnet signal through the artner to dmx app to your budget dmx dongle (instead of buying a dot 2 for 8000 euro or so. same with other software that has a free univers out trough artnet .

i use a MA2 commandwing with a enttec open dmx dongle trough the app to get me a third univers. and it works fine.
only when i want to chance the dongle to the enttec pro it wont be selectible because of the bug.

i understand that people on this forem dont want this to work because of the fird party software involved. but thats haw the cookey crumbles friends.

so we need some help
buttza
FS is my life

Post by buttza »

We know what Artnet to DMX does.
Just turns your computer into the the Micro Processor for the translator.

I would be a little more humble when it comes to asking for help on these forums as we all know that people's time and help is voluntary and getting crap from users asking for help doesn't show much appreciation.

What you are doing is something that Freestyler isn't designed for and while it is possible it would be only those who understand your 'workaround' that would help you. The Artnet => DMX tool is designed to run with Freestyler or translate Artnet Back to DMX if you have a USB interface. Might I suggest buying a eDMX interface from DMXking. I used one to run with a number of lighting software as it converts Art-Net to DMX Raw. You just configure what universe you are assigning to it through the supplied software. I will test the DOT 2 software to see if it works and let you know. :)
frank01
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by frank01 »

buttza wrote: November 21st, 2017, 3:22 am We know what Artnet to DMX does.
Just turns your computer into the the Micro Processor for the translator.

I would be a little more humble when it comes to asking for help on these forums as we all know that people's time and help is voluntary and getting crap from users asking for help doesn't show much appreciation.

What you are doing is something that Freestyler isn't designed for and while it is possible it would be only those who understand your 'workaround' that would help you. The Artnet => DMX tool is designed to run with Freestyler or translate Artnet Back to DMX if you have a USB interface. Might I suggest buying a eDMX interface from DMXking. I used one to run with a number of lighting software as it converts Art-Net to DMX Raw. You just configure what universe you are assigning to it through the supplied software. I will test the DOT 2 software to see if it works and let you know. :)
it is not a game of right and wrong here.

I indicated that there are people who use this app for third party software.
but there are also people who use it with freestyler to get their second universe working.
especially if you like to use two identical dongles.

the purchase of a new dongle is therefore no solution for this bug.

I would like to help with programming. only this app is not open source and is therefore dependent on the programmers who can be reached via this forum.

it is probably only a small adjustmen/ repair considering everything is already prepared.

but butza don't forget that it is also necessary for freestyler users. I install about 12 locations on an annual basis with two freestyler universes. and the enttec pro dongle works by far the best and stable. at the moment we have to use another dongle for the second universe due to this bug. and that requires a solution.
Our company works with freestyler for install because of the lack of experience with our clients. And we do business with enttec for that purpose.

Personally, I am of the opinion that for additional apps like this, money should be asked.also due to the use of third party software. but who am I.

I would like to help with programming but I do not have the source files of this app.

greats frank01

ps. this is not a personal attack butza
buttza
FS is my life

Post by buttza »

No worries Frank01. That is good to know. :)

I would suggest contacting Ralph directly then and having a chat to him. Since he programs it in his spare time he is really busy though.

Also DMX King eDMX interfaces are very solid and you don't need to be run the Artnet to DMX converter because it is already either Artnet or sACN. :) I have been using one for about 5 years. I'm not a sales guy but I haven't had any issue with these units. I had issues with the ENTTEC USB=>DMX units dry joints cracking. :(

https://dmxking.com/discontinued/edmx1-poe

https://dmxking.com/artnetsacn/edmx4-pro

These are the 2 I have been using for 5 years.

Hope it helps.

Cheers. :)

Return to “FreeStyler Software”