These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Pan and tilt smoothness

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
j_dunavin
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Pan and tilt smoothness

Post by j_dunavin »

I have 8 adj pocket scans and have successfully created several sequences, but sometimes the pan or tilt is very jittery.
I have tried to copy the movement from a controller called DMX mate that has pre stored showes. It looks good, but slow motion is jittery.
Any way to smooth that out?

spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7

Re: Pan and tilt smoothness

Post by spud1511 »

Sorry for the late reply.
In short.. no
Your lights movement is '8 bit' - so there are only 256 possible positions that it can move/jump to on each axis.

Other lights achieve the smooth movement by using a second channel on both pan and tilt to create a 'fine' position between the 'rough' steps (16 bit).
Only way many manufacturers can try and hide this normally is by making them move a little bit faster, or using a speed control channel to let the light fill in the blanks between the steps (sorry, your light doesn't have that either).
j_dunavin

Post by j_dunavin »

Going back here a bit to revisit this...

In stand alone mode the movement from left to right is very quick, how can I reproduce that in Freestyler?
When I creat a scene, with a simple left to right pan, I can really slow it down by scene time, but im unable to make it jump from left to right quickly.
I feel like the pocket scan is physically capable of it, even the DMX mate controller, when hooked up, can make it move fast.
j_dunavin

Post by j_dunavin »

Ok I was able to figure out an answer to both of my previous questions.
The ADJ pocket scans have a channel for speed control. The 0 or default value is sort of mid range speed.
If left alone and you attempt to slow down a scene the mirror gets jittery.
Now I can adjust the speed channel to obtain a very nice smooth, slow movement, AND if I need a fast, snap to possition you just up the channel value!
Lighting Dragon
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by Lighting Dragon »

You can also change the speed that your steps in a chase run at while you are programming (fade and scene time), as well as change the speed multiplier for that speed while running it live via submaster or cue list.
j_dunavin

Post by j_dunavin »

I tried that, but was never able to get the speed I wanted, without the next step of the scene starting before the last one finished.
This will also allow me to have both slow and fast movements in the same scene.
I'm excited to go back through my pre programed scenes and update them 😁

Return to “FreeStyler Software”