These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Made external control

Questions regarding general external control forum.
ProgramFiles
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.2

Made external control

Post by ProgramFiles »

Hi, I would know if it's possible to made external control for freestyler,
I know make it with hardware and arduino plateforme, but I don't know how I can communicate with freestyler.
For begin, I have think simple solution, get PCB in keyboard and connect push button on this one, but this solution is bad beacause I can't use analogique value (for exemple choose color with potentiometer).
After, I have think made a midi interface with arduino but it's only for true/false value and can't allow use analogique value.
In Freestyler setup I had seen "DMX - IN" interface, how it's work ? (I can make DMX communication with arduino).
No solution on freestyler allow serial communication ? For exemple I connect a serial port on freestyler, and with this one, I send to freestyler chanel and value, and freestyler send it on interface out.
Thank you for your reply.
ProgramFiles

Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Re: Made external control

Post by Spirit »

hi i would recommend to look at MIDIBOX

its a Open source Midi project.

and you can Connect all kinds of things to it.

DIN = Digital In for Buttons/Encoders.
DOUT = Digital Out for Led/Led matrix/Lcd screens
AIN = Analog in For Faders/Pots
MF = Moterfaders
AND MORE..... ( this project is also used for musicians because you can create Sequencers, Sound moduls like the Commadore 64 SID chip,Midi routers, and more)

and these are modules with Shift registers and Each registers adds 8 Controls.
and you can connect these Modules to a CORE module.
and you can get the old 8Bit pic 18F..... Series Upto 128 Inputs/Outputs can be connected + 8 Moterfaders + 2 Lcd screens.
or the New 32bit LPC17 based core and you can Connect upto 2048 Inputs/Outputs + 32 Moterfader + 64 LCD screens.

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
ProgramFiles

Post by ProgramFiles »

Thank you for your reply, but how it's work ?
The MIDI data is only on/off button ?
The MIDIBOX take value of potentiometer for exemple and send on MIDI one button if potentiometer is low, one other button if potentiometer is mid,...?
Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by Spirit »

sorry i dont realy understand your quastion.

But its just works on the Midi protocol.
and you can send A0 -> AF, B0 -> BF, C0 -> CF, D0 -> DF, E0 -> EF , D0 -> DF, E0 -> EF , F0 -> FF Event types.
FS like to have the B0 -> BF events X0 to XF = Midi channel 1 to 16.

(DEC)
and if you press a Button it sends.
B0 00 127 On press.
B0 00 00 On release.
and a Button can be set as On/Off, On only, Toggle

for faders
B0 01 00 -> B0 01 127
00 = Fader down and 127 is Fader Up and all the values inbetween. so B0 01 64 = Fader in the middle
so 00, 01, 02, 03, 04 , 05 , 06, 07, 08 , 09 , 10, 11 ~ 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127.

and as you see i use 00 to 127 because this is Default midi but you can also use 00 to 10 or 00 to 25 or 00 to 60 just how you like it but FS works on 00 to 127.

so on the midi protocal you have.
(HEX)
B0 XX XX to BF XX XX = Midi channel 1 to 16
XX 00 XX to XX 7F XX = Note 0 to 127 = Buttons or slider or encoders
XX XX 00 to XX XX 7F = the value each control can have For buttons 00 = off 7F = ON or faders 00 = Fader down Incromental 7F = Fader up

and you can press ALL buttons / slider all fader at the same time and all Data should be send.
instead of many pc keyboards you can only press 6 buttons at the same time..

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
ProgramFiles

Post by ProgramFiles »

Thank you,
I thought that the MIDI protocol allows only push button and not fader, but I was wrong.
I begin the first test.
I'll let you know ;)
ProgramFiles

Post by ProgramFiles »

I had forgot

Return to “General Midi Controllers”