These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

LedTrix and Suntrix very Slow, why?

jmibk
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/

LedTrix and Suntrix very Slow, why?

Post by jmibk »

I tested the Ledtrix Plugin and built up a little dimmable LED Array with 1 Line and 12 rows. Then I tried the Plugin and it worked.
There are 2 Problems:

1. Adressing: Startaddress = 1, every LED has 1 address. The Software can only Address 12 Lines and 20 Rows, then it says that the Startadress is too high (240 Adresses). May be a Bug. Under Suntrix it works up to 512 Channels.

2. Speed: When you use Ledtrix up to this 12 lines and 1 row (or other way round, who cares ;-) ) the refreshrate is okay. When you use the Plugin for more than approximately 20 LEDs (20 Adresses) it gets very slow. On a big 20x12 Wall the Refreshrate is araound 0,5 Hz - 1 Hz.

Interface is a udmx interface, PC is dualcore with 2 gig ram, win xp. Newest Version of FS. The DMX testdevice says that the DMX Refreshrate is normaly 44Hz, Ledtrix running it goes down to 29 Hz. Breaks and other Timings get very long. Breaks incresed to 300 - 600, normal they are around 90.

Where is the problem here? Is it the Computer or does the interface not support this refreshrate?

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: LedTrix and Suntrix very Slow, why?

Post by remco_k »

I don't know the udmx interface, but you should keep in mind that it is possible that the interface hardware can't keep up. Similar problems arise with a Velleman VM116/K8062 DMX interface, which is why no one should by it. :)

You need to rule out the possibilties:
1. While using the udmx on FreeStyler, have a look at the DMX output screen in FreeStyler. Notice how fast the values are changing. Are they changing fast as it should, or just as slow how it should not?
2. Configure FreeStyler to use a virtual interface. Nothing comes out your udmx then, again have a look at the dmx output screen and notice how fast the values are changing now.
3. Test the udmx interface on other software than FreeStyler, let it control the same amount of channels with about the same chases.
4. As a test, do not use Sun- or Ledtrix but create a sequence that does about the same chase. Is that also to slow, or good.

If you ask me to guess, I'd say the udmx has the same problem as the Velleman VM116/K8062. Its 'onboard' processor is badly choosen, or the firmware is written badly. Therefore it gets to slow when more DMX channels rise above zero. But this would just be a complete idiot guess of me.

Anyway, very simple way of testing this:
1. Attach any fixture, say you do that on DMX channel 1. Make an override button that flashes the fixture. (so that you press it, it immediately goes on, not half a second later).
2. If the above point is set up, you need to find a way of setting ALL remaining DMX channels to a value higher than 1. My way: add many, many, many PAR64-6 BARs until all DMX channels are filled. Select them all, and slide the channel values 1 to 6 to 255.
3. Press the override button described in 1. Try several times. Does it go on immediately?
If no: It might take at least more than 500 msec for the fixture to go on. Congratulations, your interface has the same 'shitty' problem as the Velleman VM116/K8062.
If yes: It seems the problem is not the interface, but it stil might be. And it can easily be anything else on your computer.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
jmibk
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3

Post by jmibk »

Thanks for the information, i will try it out...

It seems to be the interface and the software. The main Problem is, that FS sends every single DMX Value to the Interface, not all 512 together in one data package. DMX Control makes this step better and there is the interface working very faster (but DMX Control not :D ).

I try to use an artnet interface after the test with the virtual interface.
MarijnG
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.4
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by MarijnG »

Hello,

I'm using Freestyler also now with de Suntrix application with 16 active sunstrips, first thanks for the nice freeware!

I have also the problem that the strips react very slowly, the first one is oké, but the last ones are really slowy.
Here is a movie from me, where you can see the problem.
I use freestyler with a DMX4ALL mini-usb DMX interface and a Macbook 2,4 ghz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3jAXGSp20A

Thanks!
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

MarijnG wrote:Hello,

I'm using Freestyler also now with de Suntrix application with 16 active sunstrips, first thanks for the nice freeware!

I have also the problem that the strips react very slowly, the first one is oké, but the last ones are really slowy.
Here is a movie from me, where you can see the problem.
I use freestyler with a DMX4ALL mini-usb DMX interface and a Macbook 2,4 ghz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3jAXGSp20A

Thanks!
it could be a FS issue or DMX interface is too slow. have you tried the thing remco_k mentioned in an earlier post? Please do that to find out what it could be the problem.. if you still think it is a FS issue, make a bug report
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
lj_raph
FreeStyler Developer
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.1

Post by lj_raph »

Hi All

In the next release the uDMX interface has been fixed (slow speed), but can't guarantee if your problem will be fixed.
We did use LedTrix & Suntrix live with up to 15 sunstrips without problems.

How do the values on the output window react? Fast or slow?
The preview window in LedTrix/Suntrix does it runs smooth?

Best regards

Raph
Raphaël
FreeStyler support & development

Return to “Suntrix & LedTrix plugin”