These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Rotating Barrel Fixtures

Download other Magic 3D Easy View Fixture files created by the community here.
lhunter17
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/dnshaw18

Rotating Barrel Fixtures

Post by lhunter17 »

Does anyone know how to create a rotating barrel mirror fixture such as the JB Systems Rover?

Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Rotating Barrel Fixtures

Post by dmxlighting »

Yes its the same as creating a moving mirror (scan) fixture.

The barrel mirror will use normal pan and tilt commands as received in DMX and then do the relevant movement(s)

Hope thats of some help.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
lhunter17

Post by lhunter17 »

there is a rover fixture, but it is the same as the winner (a flat mirror fixture) and doesnt have all the beams, can that be created or do i have to make do with the single beam?
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

If you mean the fixture in the Magic 3D Visulizer then its the single beam only. The vis cannot do multibeam effects.

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
stuv
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by stuv »

I'm having the same issue with no multi-beam visualisation getting in the way of my design ideas :P

Anyone know of any 3d visualisers that can do multibeam? I know magicView 3d can't, and WYSIWYG doesn't seem to be able to either (i couldn't get it to anyway); does anyone know about capture? or any others out there?

Thanks,
Stephen,
Onge

Post by Onge »

stuv wrote:I'm having the same issue with no multi-beam visualisation getting in the way of my design ideas :P

Anyone know of any 3d visualisers that can do multibeam? I know magicView 3d can't, and WYSIWYG doesn't seem to be able to either (i couldn't get it to anyway); does anyone know about capture? or any others out there?

Thanks,
Stephen,
Capture does not.

I doubt if any visualiser can do it. Just to many parameters needed and that is just to define the mirrored barrel, "how many sides?"
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Onge wrote:
stuv wrote:I'm having the same issue with no multi-beam visualisation getting in the way of my design ideas :P

Thanks,
Stephen,
Capture does not.

I doubt if any visualiser can do it. Just to many parameters needed and that is just to define the mirrored barrel, "how many sides?"
Of all the visulizers I would have said that WYG would be the one that maybe could do multibeams as its one of the most powerful (in full blown super expensive show design suite) CAD reality programs avalible. The like of us lowley folk here using FS just have to be greatful for thr FREE 3d vis we have and for all its limitations it is pretty good!

Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Shannon D »

I'm no software designer / writer and don't know what's all involved, but you can change the beam degree now. Seems like something could be added to break up the beam into multiple beams. So if you enter that you have 6 mirrors, it would break the total beam into 6 pieces evenly spaced out. Different colors would probably a harder task. It's 2010, I think anything is possible with a computer. It's a matter of, who's gonna do it first? And for free :mrgreen:
Onge

Post by Onge »

Shannon D wrote:I'm no software designer / writer and don't know what's all involved, but you can change the beam degree now. Seems like something could be added to break up the beam into multiple beams. So if you enter that you have 6 mirrors, it would break the total beam into 6 pieces evenly spaced out. Different colors would probably a harder task. It's 2010, I think anything is possible with a computer. It's a matter of, who's gonna do it first? And for free :mrgreen:
I was not saying it was impossible, but not easy, because of the number of facets to the barrel mirror, the overall diameter of the barrel, that gives the angle of each mirror relative to the next. How big is the beam size when it hits the barrel, also taking into account if the fixture has an IRIS, I doubt if any would as it seems to be very much a nightclub type of fixture (no offense meant), all of that is needed to tell the visualiser how to split the beam. That is just of the top of my head I am sure other stuff would be needed. That is a lot of information needed and that would have to be entered by a user when they create or request a fixture. That is a scary thought as some people can't even get the number of channels a fixture has, let alone that sort of information.

I am not sure but I don't even think I have seen a proper mirror ball being visualised because of the complexity of it in real time. Yes for snapshot rendering I can see.
stuv
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by stuv »

Would be nice to just simulate it basically with 4 or 5 break-out-gobo like beams with the pan effecting the relative position of each to the other protruding form one point. I could reproduce this in easy view, but only using multiple fixtures laid on-top of each other and pan/tilt functions would not work properly. Still, seems to me like a reasonably basic thing to add to a visualizer if only in a basic simulation application rather than a realistic simulation of the actual barrel effect of that specific fixture.
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

stuv wrote:Would be nice to just simulate it basically with 4 or 5 break-out-gobo like beams with the pan effecting the relative position of each to the other protruding form one point. I could reproduce this in easy view, but only using multiple fixtures laid on-top of each other and pan/tilt functions would not work properly. Still, seems to me like a reasonably basic thing to add to a visualizer if only in a basic simulation application rather than a realistic simulation of the actual barrel effect of that specific fixture.
Well to a point you can but it is NOT really worth doing but if you use some facets in 3d then you can get multi's, sort of.

lhunter17

Post by lhunter17 »

30th april 2010 version of scanlibrary appears to be able to make multi-beams, just can't make it work....
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8

Return to “Magic 3D Easy View Fixture Files - User Created Downloads”