These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

A new and better? iPad / iPhone controller

dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

A new and better? iPad / iPhone controller

Post by dmxlighting »

Hello to all,

Its been a long while since I posted on here but I do still use FS and keep upto date with the developmnt as much as possible.

I have at times played with the app that Maxx developed and have never really found it great for my purposes.
Its ok for some testing etc but not what I wanted from it in respect of live control.

I have preferd to use my trusted BCF2000 midi controller instead.

However I just found an app that has placed both the existing FS app and the BCF in the cupboard.

Im now using Touch OSC which costs about £3 for the app and the supporting PC / mac software is free.

Ive just spent an evening building the screen up how i want it and it is brilliant.

I will at some point soon upload some of my templates for others to use or adapt if they wish but I firstly wnated to see if others have looked at using this and what their experiences with are.

Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Re: A new and better? iPad / iPhone controller

Post by dmxlighting »

Here is a screen shot of what I have set up. I will point out that this is MY set up but it could be set up however you want it and i can incorporate any of the many midi functions within FS.
The software has virtually no latency and is as instant to react as any midi control ive ever used.
Also the sofware responds to incoming sigsnals too so if you were to blackout on the FS desktop then the corrisponding 'button'on my iPad will light up, this applies to faders etc as well.
Lastly, if you are interested it will support more than one ipad / iphone and a time so if you wanted to make a screen for the iPad and a scaled down one for your iphone then you can and they will run together perfectly.

Sorry the image is on its side, this is down to the forum beeing fussy about resolution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mattotone »

A nice find, your layout certainty gives me an insight into how the apps are used. I imagine your on a tab rather than phone.
I plan on providing new screens for larger resolutions such as tablets which will combine multiple pages creating a more live friendly layout.
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Hi Matt

Its been a while, how are you?

Yes I use an iPad for this. Its probably the best midi controller ive ever seen. I will upload all the files needed once ive done a little more tests and tweeks.

The app does allow for more pages so sky is the limit with this thing, also allows for 16 midi control channels.

dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

So I used the app on a live job tonight and it worked perfectly.
Responded better than a BCF. In fact I often get problems with FS and a BCF not communicating and sometimes causing crashes. Had no problems at all. At one point I even we t and sat on a sofa in the corner of the venue with my ipad and controlled the lights in comfort. Uploads of the required software will be made ASAP.

Kings
Commited FS Forum helper
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Kings »

Hey this looks really interesting. I do a monthly lighting gig and control the house lighting (lightJockey) via a VNC connection from a remote laptop. I also run FS for my lasers, blinders etc. I recently got an iPad mini so it would be great to control everything from the one surface! Maybe you could do a quick tutorial on what needs to be installed/configured to get us up and running. Im sure we can then work out how to make our own templates. Cheers!
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Ok for anyone who wants to have a go at this, here is the info you need...

On ur ipad or iPhone download touch osc from the App Store (cost is £3)
Google touch osc from ur pc and then goto the website.
Download the touch osc program and the midi bridge software, these are totally free
There is a forum with some help on how to use the software but its fairly easily and I managed it without to much trouble.
Add whatever buttons and faders you want however you want to and assign midi control numbers and channels to each as u desire.
Once you have created a desktop in osc you will want to upload it to ur ipad.
You need to make sure that midi bridge is running on ur PC and that ur iOS device and pc are on the same wireless network.
On you pad goon to the midi bridge and you should be able to see ur pc.
Once you can see it goto layout and select add. It should all being well import ur newly created layout.
Lastly go onto FS and assign the corresponding midi info in to that and u will be in business. Mean while you now have more info than I had to get you started. Good luck

I'm still working on a globally useable version of my layout which I will upload soon.

dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

I forgot that to sync the PC software with iOS u need to save ur work and hit the sync button.
Otherwise iOS will not see ur PC and u won't be able to load ur template.

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

Please let me know ur experiences with this

dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Also available in Android flavor! (I thought only Apple made smart phones and tablets :P )

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r.touchosc

dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Im now moving this thread to here - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5193

Thanks

Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mattotone »

No Custom Layouts For Android :(
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
Kings
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by Kings »

OK...So I have connectivity between my laptop and the Ipad and can upload my own template. Can you give us a quick example of the details you need to enter in the TouchOSC Editor for say a push button?

So what values do we need to adjust on the OSC and/or MIDI tab? Values like Type, Channel, Note, Velocity etc? Perhaps a quick screen shot?

Once I have that correct then its pretty easy to assign the MIDI commands in FS (have done it a before).

Cheers!
Kings
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by Kings »

Found It!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq8rzOS1RnI

Once you have uploaded your layout to the Ipad you need to enable the midi bridge via the connections tab on the Ipad Touch OSC software:

Find 'connections'
Select it
Change 'enable' to ON
Enter the IP address of your FS computer

Now your Ipad can send commands to FS and you can then assign what FS commands you want the buttons to do via the FS Setup/external controls/Midi window. Yay!

My favourite feature so far is that the Ipad touch screen responds to momentary touches (ie will register a momentary touch on the screen) unlike the touchscreen on my tablet. No need to touch to turn on the strobe and then touch it again to stop it!
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Hey Kings

Well done on getting it working. I guess a proper tutorial is in order.
I'll try and do one but feel free to put it together ur self if u want.

@ mattotone - I don't have an android device to try out with this but I'm lead to belive its possible.
Or get an ipad! The app is that good that it might be worth it ?

Return to “iOS (iPhone & iPad)”