These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Get a proper usb / dmx device!

Have a Tip? Share IT!
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Get a proper usb / dmx device!

Post by dmxlighting »

Don't dick around with cheap and nasty devices! This is the important bit between your fixtures and your pc.

I must recommend an Enttec Pro Device. Other devices may be ok but these are the best for use with FS.

@ Enttec - please send sales commision to.....

DMXlighting
c/o fs forum

Thanks

Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: Get a proper usb / dmx device!

Post by Shannon D »

I'll second that! Get the recommended dongle that has been proven to work. Wait and save a lil longer if you have to before buying a cheap-O. You will save time and frustration in the long run. Spend your precious time programming and gigging!

I want a piece of the pie :D
Last edited by Shannon D on March 28th, 2010, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onge

Post by Onge »

dmxlighting wrote:Don't dick around with cheap and nasty devices! This is the important bit between your fixtures and your pc.

I must recommend an Enttec Pro Device. Other devices may be ok but these are the best for use with FS.

DMXlighting
c/o fs forum

Thanks
I can honestly say they are the best for FreeStyler they are good, very good indeed. The advantage of having either the Enttec Open or the Enttec Pro is that it can be used by a lot of other software, especially the Pro version. Such as Lightfactory, ChamSys MagicQ, Madrix, Arkaos VJ and many more products. One of those is free !!!!! There are plenty of other free softwares around if you look that use these interfaces, but why would you when you can have FreeStyler. The multimedia and matrix types of software I can understand, you needing to look at.
dubmachine
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by dubmachine »

i bought the enttec open usb as my first dongle just because i wanted the cheapest thing to start experimenting with before committing to it. is this considered too cheap for long term reliability? ive been using it instead of light jockey at the night club i work at just cause im more comfortable with FS then martin.s
jpk
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.2
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/dmxking

Post by jpk »

dmxlighting wrote:Don't dick around with cheap and nasty devices! This is the important bit between your fixtures and your pc.

DMXlighting
c/o fs forum

Thanks
Old post but well said. Many moons ago before enttec made the usb open I actually prototyped a device just like that and decided it would be bad to unleash such pain and suffering on the world. Now I've released a product that's just as capable as the enttec pro but priced like the open, so you get the best of both worlds.
http://DMXking.com USB DMX and ArtNet interfaces.
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

@ jpk

Im a dealer and sell usb devices into schools in the UK. Maybe we can talk ? PM me and I'll send my contact details.

Lee
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Post by buttza »

I like the DMXKing devices. I have never tried one but I would. As stable as an Entec Device and a little cheaper in price. :)

Return to “Tips from the Pros!”