These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Laser with no manual

315andy
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Laser with no manual

Post by 315andy »

Does anybody know what to do if I have an off brand laser with no manual??

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: Laser with no manual

Post by remco_k »

This goes for any fixture without manual:

1. Find out how to address the fixture. If the fixture has a dip-switch its most likely just a binary count. A DMX channel is often set by 8 or 9 dips. If there are more then probably the 10th and further have other functions like enabling or disabling DMX mode and other (auto) modes. If there are 9 dip swichtes, then dip 1=1, dip 2=2, dip 3=4, dip 4=16, dip 5=32, dip 6=64, dip 7=128, dip 8=256. Just add the numbers and you'll have your DMX channel. So if you want to set your fixture to channel 1, then only dip one should be on. If you want to use DMX channel 32 then only dip 5 should be on. If you want DMX channel 33 then dip 1 and 5 on. Channel 100: Dip 3,5 and 6 on.

2. Now test what each channel does. Simply add (for example) 10 PAR's to FreeStyler starting at the same DMX address as you configured your fixture. No you need to figure out what each channel (PAR) does with your laser and document that for later use when you create a fixture file for the fixture.

Any fixture has a manual, brand and model number. I can't imagine that there's nothing to be found like a model number or such thing.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
315andy

Post by 315andy »

Thanks again for helping me with this. It has ten dip switches on the back and a diagram to operate it. There are 10 and the tenth one on says auto mode and the tenth combined with the first one on means sound active and it shows them all down for dmx 512. I will only be running the quad gem by American Dj and this laser. So if i want it to be my 2nd fixture, what will i set it as? and the only thing it says as far as a model is "Reke-02G"
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

You need to read more about DMX in general - see the wiki and google. I'll get you started:

A DMX fixture operates from a DMX start adress. It uses at least 1 DMX channel (a single PAR can for example) to more than 32 DMX channels (LED RGB bars with multiple sections). So if you have a fixture that uses lets say 10 channels and you've addressed it to DMX channel 1 then it uses channel 1 to 10.
If you have a second fixture, you should not address it in the used range, but in a free range. So that would be channel 11. Suppose that that fixture uses 5 DMX channels, then the next fixture should start at DMX channel 16.
A gap may occur within the DMX channel config. So you can address the same 3 fixtures in the above example on channel 1,20 and 30 without problems. You just need to config that correctly in FreeStyler. But above all: you need a DMX channel description for the fixture to find out what channel controls what parameter.

Since you seem to have no knowledge about DMX I think its a very hard task to get the laser to work without having the manual. Or get someone to help you (in person, not online) that does know how the whole DMX thing works.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
Mavi
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mavi »

After using google I found out that Reke is the vendoer and 02G is the Product name. One off the pages where you could by this item also told it is a 7 channel fixture. But I could not finde a manual this fast. The product page http://www.rekelaser.com/productsshow.asp?id=25 locks not well maintained - missing pictures and so on.
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons
315andy

Post by 315andy »

It was a laser that somebody brought me back from a business trip, so it won't be a total loss if i can not use it. This means my set up will be the quad gem in channels one through seven then this laser will be 8 through fifteen. correct?
Mavi
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mavi »

If your quad gem also an 7 channel fixture then you are right.

Perhaps you want to search the internet for the laser manual or write an email the service and ask if the can send you the manual as pdf.
Last edited by dmxlighting on May 26th, 2010, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons

Return to “Lasers”