These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Sound2Lights Single Step Advance

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
tguarriello
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Sound2Lights Single Step Advance

Post by tguarriello »

I know that SMPTE timecode tracking is probably a lot to ask. I'd like to be able to advance a step, sequence, Scene, Cue, etc... in time with my backing track, but not on a BPM basis. My thought is to use a Click or Beat on an otherwise silent audio channel to progress the scene at key points. For example, bring up a spot for a musician's solo, change movement for the chorus, etc... It would mean 10-20 "beats" at random intervals during the entire song. They would obviously have to be accurately tracked. Quick response would be nice, but not critical. Most importantly, it would have to track accurately without drops or false inserts. Is that possible? Ultimately, I think there are a lot of things I could do with a combination of time and sound triggers to keep the show on track if the software would respond to an audio pulse to advance a step. It would be REALLY cool if you could select a scene, sequence, que, etc.. - or just start the clock based on a specific note or frequency!

tguarriello
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: Sound2Lights Single Step Advance

Post by tguarriello »

Well, heck! I should have played with this a little more before posting. I've got it doing almost exactly what I want. I'm using the OnSong App for band management. When I select a song on my iPad, it sends a midi note wireless to Freestyler to select a cue list. The backing track (which has always been Mono) now has a trigger beat on the unused channel, piped into sound2lights and it advances the sequence(s). Very Cool! The first song I tried it on, brings up a spotlight each of three different soloists during their solo and goes back to normal when the solo is complete. This is so cool! I'm making a donation.

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”