These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Sound2Light

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
FollowingDark
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.1.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Sound2Light

Post by FollowingDark »

I've used FS for a few shows, and it does indeed rock.

A couple of beat related things have come to mind that would be really handy:

1) The Sound2Light unit has a beat multiplier on it, but it would also be very useful to have beat dividers too.

2) I have two audio inputs (one from the drumkit, and one from the frontline). I can get 2 instances of S2L running, each with a different audio source, and set them to trigger only specific sequences. It appears that FS will only accept incoming triggers from one of the S2L, not both. If FS would accept triggers from multiple instances of S2L, that would be epic.

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: Sound2Light

Post by remco_k »

FollowingDark wrote:I've used FS for a few shows, and it does indeed rock.

1) The Sound2Light unit has a beat multiplier on it, but it would also be very useful to have beat dividers too.
Since version 1.0.0.9 a divider is already there. Press the M/D (Multiplier/Divider) in the config and play along.
2) I have two audio inputs (one from the drumkit, and one from the frontline). I can get 2 instances of S2L running, each with a different audio source, and set them to trigger only specific sequences. It appears that FS will only accept incoming triggers from one of the S2L, not both. If FS would accept triggers from multiple instances of S2L, that would be epic.
Can't test it now, but I can't theoreticly see why it should not work. For FS it (should) not matter 'who' is sending the beat signal. Multiple senders should me no problem. Maybe test some more / again?
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
FollowingDark

Post by FollowingDark »

remco_k wrote:
FollowingDark wrote:I've used FS for a few shows, and it does indeed rock.

Since version 1.0.0.9 a divider is already there. Press the M/D (Multiplier/Divider) in the config and play along.
Brilliant, thanks for that. I was well behind on updates. It works perfectly too.
remco_k wrote:
FollowingDark wrote: 2) I have two audio inputs (one from the drumkit, and one from the frontline). I can get 2 instances of S2L running, each with a different audio source, and set them to trigger only specific sequences. It appears that FS will only accept incoming triggers from one of the S2L, not both. If FS would accept triggers from multiple instances of S2L, that would be epic.
Can't test it now, but I can't theoreticly see why it should not work. For FS it (should) not matter 'who' is sending the beat signal. Multiple senders should me no problem. Maybe test some more / again?
I've done a few tests, and two instances of S2L are happy to run together, and get audio signal from different devices. However, Freestyler will only take triggers from the S2L that it opens. Freestyler ignores S2Ls that it didn't open. If Freestyler could cope with multiple S2Ls that would be a massive boost. The S2L unit itself already does everything perfectly.

Thanks again
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

Great!

S2L has a little debug option build in. (Config->Show debug messages).
Enable that on the S2L that is "not working" and see what it says.
You could copy a few lines to this forum.

Maybe we can work something out.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
FollowingDark

Post by FollowingDark »

I've tried it again, and an S2L not opened by FS has no effect on FS at all. It does not show any errors, just the "Beat trigger" notice.

If it's been opened by FS, then the triggers work perfectly. Is it something to do with an FS opened S2L being a child process?
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

FollowingDark wrote:I've tried it again, and an S2L not opened by FS has no effect on FS at all. It does not show any errors, just the "Beat trigger" notice.
Thats good. It (at least) means that S2L has a "connection" to FS and FS is receiving the beat messages. It seems to ignore them.
(connection: communication to FS is one way traffic. S2L just sends a beat, nothing comes back, so S2L can never know if the beat is processed properly by FS)
If it's been opened by FS, then the triggers work perfectly. Is it something to do with an FS opened S2L being a child process?
No, it has nothing to do with S2L being a child process. It seems FS has some mechanism of ignoring beat signals from multiple/other S2L apps.
Thats kind of out of my hands. Maybe Raph (the FS developer) can explain what/why. Still I haven't had the time to check if I'm haveing the same problems. So it could also be a problem you only have.
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

FS only respond on that S2L it opens... If you open S2L.exe separately (Not from FS) FS don't respond.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
FollowingDark

Post by FollowingDark »

I thought that was the case. Can I flag it up as a useful addition to add into FS? :)
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

FollowingDark wrote:I thought that was the case. Can I flag it up as a useful addition to add into FS? :)
i Have talked to raph and from now on he want every feature request to be posted (reported) in thebug tracker. choose severity to "feature request"
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”