These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

What No Timeline? Read this first.

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER

Vote for a TimeLine?

Im Interested
96%
Im Not Interested
4%

Total votes: 122

Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

What No Timeline? Read this first.

Post by Mattotone »

UPDATETIMELINE ADDON http://www.freestylersupport.com/fsforu ... 448#p14448

A largely requested feature at the moment is a timeline for creating sequences.
Timelines are great for making very complex sequences very easily, it gives greater control over timing and you can visualize how the sequence is going to run.
However Freestyler was never designed to be programed with a timeline, and doing so would mean a massive rewrite of the software which would take a very long time.
The major project at this current time is the second universe, so please remeber that FS is created by one man, in his spare time and for Free.

Raph
Hi Matt

I would like to add such function in FS but currently I don't have the time to add it.
I hope I will someday.

Best regards

Raph
We are very aware of this feature and its benefits and it may be added to the software.
But for now there are a few other priority's and feature enhancements that need to be worked on and no current estimation for when a time-line will be added.
If you do want to show your interest in a time line vote on the poll but please don't post yet another timeline feature request. (Unless its an totally original idea ;) )

Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: What No Timeline? Read this first.

Post by dmxlighting »

Matt

I had to unlock this thread as you cannot vote when its locked.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)

Post by Mattotone »

ok, thanks
stuv
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by stuv »

I am partially
Interested (voted I am Interested), however as a quick fix i would recommend a time-line plug-in that allows for virtually limitless scene's and chases to be activated (and probably de-activated) on a time-line. I know this is possible in a cue, however a cue is limited to 20ish Scenes/Chases. Having a time-line with virtually limitless number of scene's/chases and possibly the option to have multiple running simultaneously does not seem overly complicated within the realms of the software and would be a nice intrum feature.

I would also like it to be noted that I would much prefer access to a Second Universe over any time-line control. A second universe would make it so much easier to push freestyler in a professional environment and also greatly improve the features of my Lighting console I am building that runs Freestyler as it's primary control software.
:fs:
Mavi
LJ

Post by Mavi »

I voted "no" because I do not need a time line (yet). i use freestyler most of the time for controlling the lights live. Mostly I stand next to a DJ and since I do not know what song is comming at what time I have to react to the music just as it comes out of the speakers ;)

But the think about a plugin could perhaps work. As I know it is possible to send commands to FS by external software (for example the iPhone/iPod application does). But it is not possible to get data back from FS. I think there could be a plugin which cann tell FS "starte sequence 1 at .., stop sequence 7 at ...". Of course this would not be a full working time line, but it would be a workaround wich could be easier programmed instad of rewriting the hole FS software to bring in a full working time line. Perhaps those of you who are experienced in programming plugins and know how the FS interfaces work could say same words if this thought is possible?
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)

Post by Mattotone »

the time line as an addon for Running cues is perfectly possible, I thought the idea of the time line was to aid in creating the cues.
It wouldn't be difficult to play different sequences at timed intervals, i have a theater stack add-on which does just that. The most time consuming aspect is creating the time line control its self.
juanquy
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by juanquy »

Im Interested, vote positive , timeline is a great tool
jonny b good
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by jonny b good »

Mattotone wrote:the time line as an addon for Running cues is perfectly possible, I thought the idea of the time line was to aid in creating the cues.
It wouldn't be difficult to play different sequences at timed intervals, i have a theater stack add-on which does just that. The most time consuming aspect is creating the time line control its self.
I think you wiill find most people want a timeline to create their sequences, as they have a track they listen to and then they can stretch/shrink a light(s)/effect whatever over a period of time before doing the next sequence/effect or whatever.

Can be done the other way, to launch user created sequences but I bet that is not what they want and personally that is not what FreeStyler is about.

Maybe people should learn how to use FreeStyler and other programs that do not have a timeline if not then go and buy one that does. Maybe I am just saying that they are lazy, just my 2 cents worth :roll:
Pmarten8
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.6
Twitter: http://twitter.com/looneychoons

Post by Pmarten8 »

Time line Ideas

1.) Make time line so can drop audio track to it
2.) Make time so you can drop your Sequances in to as well

This will give greater control of how you cue sequences to music make it lot easier to produce that professional looking light show

Should look at windows live movie makers time line this is great example and so simple to produces great looking videos to music

How i can picture it looking
My graphic skills in paint are not the best so sorry about graphic
roeleke
LJ
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by roeleke »

Does Anybody know how the communication works between freestyler and the 3D viewer. I will tray to let communicate freestyler with the timeline editor from sunlite.But I don't know how I must let them communicate?
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)

Post by Mattotone »

Freestyler accepts commands via send message, the documentation for these commands are available in your program directory. I don't think that the current command set will make this an easy task.
djhomero
FreeStyler Version: 3.0.2

Post by djhomero »

no doubt is what is needed for a light show at a club, or event .... in this way would be fine Pmarten8 ... and what good would that all work sequences to be overlapping, bony one above the other, for example, if three sequences one above another, the three continue to operate at the same time ..
ninenorth
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 2,95f

Post by ninenorth »

The timeline is a matter that NEEDS to be in a great program like freestyler. I am one of the first testers - users of the program and the first thing I asked for was (and still is ) a timeline.
buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Post by buttza »

I am pretty sure that Ableton Live can do this function using midi triggering. I am testing it now. You will need to configure your midi channels to show up as notes or assign numbers to each aspect. Still testing and will let you know. ;)
edoerfel
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User

Post by edoerfel »

PLEASE add a timeline! I am currently trying to create a live light show for a band and it would beso much easier with a timeline so I could create it to a click track and songs. I am currently trying to decide between freestyler and chauvet showxpress. Showxpress has a timeline which is great but I love the way freestyler works so much better! So this makes me sad....
edoerfel
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User

Post by edoerfel »

I would PAY to get a timeline added. I would pay hundreds...
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)

Post by Mattotone »

Only the developer can add a time line like you require,
This is because sequence creation and fixture attributes are not exposed via a API.
3rd party developers can add a time line for the play back of pre made cues

Matt
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.2
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by kittmaster »

The this should be added to the bug tracker to bring to dev's attention as a feature request......I like the idea.....while the sequence creator is nice, it's sometimes hard to see the big picture without 3d viewer running and if your on a single monitor like a laptop, is a real bear to be productive.
jdmyers
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.4

Post by jdmyers »

I don't know that I have a use for time-line editing/ triggering myself, as I tend to do a lot of on-the-fly stuff alternating between having a Cue stack running either in sequentially or concurrently playing the sequences, while accenting or triggering other lights using the over-rides and other controls/functions with a MIDI controller.

But I have thought it would be nice to have shows to sync to some video or laser stuff I have been playing with, and an idea I've come up with (but only have planned in my head) is to possibly use Reaper (a DAW program, and a killer one I have found so far - but I digress...)

I have thought about using Reaper as a playback list or stack, where each track would have a song (or video) in it, or a series of songs/videos (sort of a playlist).

Set up a track or tracks with your song/playlist selections, and set up a MIDI control track for each A/V track.

You would program in your MIDI triggers and commands / value changes in each track (using Automation, even, to record your MIDI controlled real-time moves, as you "play" the effects); or do this in a MIDI track associated with the audio (and/or video) track if not able to do it within the A/V track.

For playback, you could just mute all tracks except the A/V and MIDI tracks for your selection. (Alternately, just "solo" them both but this all depends on how your playback hardware is set up.) As your song selection plays, the MIDI track will trigger your light show at the points you select.

An alternate or combined method could be to use SMPTE (video timecode) or MTC (Midi Time Code) or some other such time-code synchronization to control the Freestyler clock which might have timed sequences and cues to play back on its own, but that is something I need to look into further myself.

While not being an "integral" part of the software as far as a timeline goes, this method could work with just about any DAW software you are comfortable or familiar with, possibly making its integration that much easier since if you already have a song production setup, (for original music, for example), you'd just have to add the control track for the lights to your currently existing and under-construction mixes.

*** I use Reaper as an example (and in practice) because it's real cheap (with an extremely generous evaluation period), and it's real small and fast so it will run well in the background, along with all the extra plugins and being cross-platform (versions for Linux and Mac as well as PC). Your mileage may vary as to what software you might ultimately use and the performance hit it may cause to your system... ***
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by kittmaster »

Anyone have any updates on this feature? I think it would be a great feature to have!
pingusso
Just started using FS

Post by pingusso »

Timeline would be really wonderful !

All of us would like to see this feature raising .
(even those that didn't vote the pole yet )
As our moderator "Mattotone" explained, it would mean a massive rewrite of the software,
and we have in hands a fantastic software... for FREE !!!
Although impatient, I don´t care to wait for it.
The big problem is that I don't see around any rumor about Timeline beeing in the mind of our beloved developer, in a short/medium term.
Thousands of people are using Freestyler, but the pole has only 65 votes !!! :shock: ( by today 9 April 2014 )
If I was the developer I would think there no BIG interest on it !!!
So guys & gals...
Let's push... voting and encouraging the "boss" !!!

:fs: :D :fs:
Alexi

Post by Alexi »

Timeline 👍
Dblab
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6

Post by Dblab »

This is the "father" (sequence based) concept. This means a software that use freestyler (engine?) if you haven't yet build a (sound refered) track by track sequence. Maybe it's a "bonjour lib" based design that use midi OS2L and ethernet dante airline, but it's not only freestyler, it's the sky
Dblab
Just started using FS

Post by Dblab »

"You are not ready for this". You just want an audio engine for sweet light
bigcrazyal
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by bigcrazyal »

I need this. a timeline would help the beginner such as myself set up the perfect effect (chase or scene) at the perfect moment during a songs playback? I could setup my whole 20min show (i just wanna show some lights to music before we blow off fireworks) lights to music drag and drop precicely to time line>? OMG Where do I sign up! I'm begging. Seems you have to buy a $300 interface to do something like that ahem showexpress? sweetlight? doesn't seem fair for hobbiest like myself which I would assume was the target user of this software when it was originally created. If I could write a program, I would.

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”