These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

[REQ] midi 16bit pan/tilt

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
horstefan
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

[REQ] midi 16bit pan/tilt

Post by horstefan »

Can 16 bit pan/tilt faders be back in midi section?
they were in there before...
i really desire them in live operations.

Stefan Wempe

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: [REQ] midi 16bit pan/tilt

Post by remco_k »

I'm curious how you would see that.
Midi values have a range of 0...127. For any mapping to an DMX channel these values are doubled to reach the 0...254 values of the DMX range.
So, we are already missing 'half' the resolution for just the 8 bit pan/tilt operation already. There is nothing to do about that. Midi is designed that way a really long ago (way before DMX) and is no subject to be changed.
Where would the data for the 16-bit pan/tilt channel come from? There is no data for it, so implementing it is useless in my opinion.

You could use a second fader for the 16-bit channel though (Midi to DMX mapping), but I really don't see how one is going to use that nicely...
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

remco_k wrote:I'm curious how you would see that.
Midi values have a range of 0...127. For any mapping to an DMX channel these values are doubled to reach the 0...254 values of the DMX range.
So, we are already missing 'half' the resolution for just the 8 bit pan/tilt operation already. There is nothing to do about that. Midi is designed that way a really long ago (way before DMX) and is no subject to be changed.
Where would the data for the 16-bit pan/tilt channel come from? There is no data for it, so implementing it is useless in my opinion.

You could use a second fader for the 16-bit channel though (Midi to DMX mapping), but I really don't see how one is going to use that nicely...
A lot of better quality fixtures use a second pan and tilt in 16 bit mode for very fine adjustments. Its not something I ever use but I do know a lot of guys that use 16 bit p&t. As Horstfan says it was part of the midi control setup in FS and now it gone. I would guess that Raph got rid of this option to make space for other options instead ?
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

dmxlighting wrote: A lot of better quality fixtures use a second pan and tilt in 16 bit mode for very fine adjustments. Its not something I ever use but I do know a lot of guys that use 16 bit p&t. As Horstfan says it was part of the midi control setup in FS and now it gone. I would guess that Raph got rid of this option to make space for other options instead ?
I know about the 16 bit pan/tilt. :) Use it all the time.
Like I said: there is no reason to have the pan/tilt 16 bit implemented as Midi has a resolution that is to low to control even a 8 bit pan/tilt channel and way to low resolution to control 16 bit pan/tilt.
So if it is re-implemented, it has no effect -at all- if used... Thats is what I mean.
The data just is'nt there. With midi values ranging from 0...127 there is nothing to give to the 16-bit channel...
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta

Post by dmxlighting »

OK sorry I get your point! Midi resolution is pretty weak.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

remco_k wrote:
dmxlighting wrote: A lot of better quality fixtures use a second pan and tilt in 16 bit mode for very fine adjustments. Its not something I ever use but I do know a lot of guys that use 16 bit p&t. As Horstfan says it was part of the midi control setup in FS and now it gone. I would guess that Raph got rid of this option to make space for other options instead ?
I know about the 16 bit pan/tilt. :) Use it all the time.
Like I said: there is no reason to have the pan/tilt 16 bit implemented as Midi has a resolution that is to low to control even a 8 bit pan/tilt channel and way to low resolution to control 16 bit pan/tilt.
So if it is re-implemented, it has no effect -at all- if used... Thats is what I mean.
The data just is'nt there. With midi values ranging from 0...127 there is nothing to give to the 16-bit channel...
if you have the 16 bit feature on a second fader/encoder, it may have some effect, wont it????
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

LJ_krede.dk wrote: if you have the 16 bit feature on a second fader/encoder, it may have some effect, wont it????
Technically it is possible, but then you suddenly have 2 faders who controls the PAN (or tilt).
The first for the total pan range, the second for really small steps in between one 8 bit PAN (or tilt) value. (And even that one is not possible, because of the midi resolution is to low - the 8 bit fader skips per 2 DMX values, so are still not able to accurately target the pan/tilts). Not even with the second 16 bit fader.

Like I said before: You could use a second fader for the 16-bit channel though (Midi to DMX mapping), but I really don't see how one is going to use that nicely...
See it as upscaling an 8x8 pixel image to an 16x16 pixel image. It is possible but the real resolution does not improve.
Using a second fader for 16 bit pan/tilt would be this comparison: an 8x12 pixels image upscaling to an 16x16 image.
Taking that 'improvement' into account and the weird way you have to control your lights then, is telling me that no one is going to use that. :)

If you want -accurate- 16 bit pan tilt controls, use your mouse in the pan tilt window. :) That is the only HID that has a proper input resolution for this.
horstefan
Just started using FS

Post by horstefan »

i use the ROBE robin series wich have a seperate 16bit channels for pan&tilt
the extra faders (though skipping 2 dmx channels at a time) are still enough accurate for me
(exact pointing in theathre shows)
Mavi
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mavi »

LJ_krede.dk wrote:if you have the 16 bit feature on a second fader/encoder, it may have some effect, wont it????
Why not use 4 faders... Sum the values up and you got 16 bit. Ok, I think this will not be realy usefull and hard to control. ;)

Current solution with one 8 bit fader and anotzer 16 bit fader seams best solution. Even the values are not exact (only 0...127) it is the same way DMX hardware controllers work and fixtures are implementet.
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

when you set up the BCF2000 with BC edit you can choose 14 bit mode for the encoders/faders. What's this and can it be used for the mentioned purpose?
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

horstefan wrote:i use the ROBE robin series wich have a seperate 16bit channels for pan&tilt
the extra faders (though skipping 2 dmx channels at a time) are still enough accurate for me
(exact pointing in theathre shows)
Ever thought about the pan/tilt up/down controls? this way you can press a key once and the pan or tilt value increments (or decrements) by one.
This gives you a pretty exact way, I believe.
In the Midi control setup they are named: pan left, pan right, tilt up and tilt down
I use those functions to point to an exact location.
LJ_krede.dk wrote:when you set up the BCF2000 with BC edit you can choose 14 bit mode for the encoders/faders. What's this and can it be used for the mentioned purpose?
A 14 bit fader (which is normal 7 bit (0...127)) can have a range of 0...16384. But Midi can't do that on a single midi note. So that fader should output its values through 2 midi notes. The first note for the first 7 bits, the second for the second 7 bits. I'm curious if it does work that way. Can you check that some way?
If so; then this request has a reason to be re-implemented.

Its still missing 2 bits resolution for a good 16 bit pan/tilt operation, but is better then a 7 bit source upscaled to 16 bit. It becomes 14 bit upscaled to 16 bit. Which is a lot better.
Next to that, this will only help the people with a BCF2000 controller or a controller that has the same 14 bit mode for a fader.
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

remco_k wrote:A 14 bit fader (which is normal 7 bit (0...127)) can have a range of 0...16384. But Midi can't do that on a single midi note. So that fader should output its values through 2 midi notes. The first note for the first 7 bits, the second for the second 7 bits. I'm curious if it does work that way. Can you check that some way?
the bcf I have access to is defect, it erases my presets when i turn it off or change preset with the preset buttons. Maybe dmxlighting can do it using the MIDI-ox to track the midi signal
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
horstefan
Just started using FS

Post by horstefan »

Ever thought about the pan/tilt up/down controls? this way you can press a key once and the pan or tilt value increments (or decrements) by one.
This gives you a pretty exact way, I believe.
In the Midi control setup they are named: pan left, pan right, tilt up and tilt down
I use those functions to point to an exact location.
since 16 bit is no longer in the list i cant assign this...
i really want to use the 16bit channels of my robin heads...
the difference between 1 and 2 bits (midi-->dmx) is nearly noticeable in 16bit but 8bit channels are.

for a fun fact (off-topic)

i own a behringer DDM4000 dj mixer with MIDI, i linked it with my BCF and assigned some buttons in freestyler (stroboscope effects etc)
the DJ really appreciated it cause he could built up the beat some more with lighting effects... (making my job alot easyer:P)
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

LJ_krede.dk wrote:
remco_k wrote:A 14 bit fader (which is normal 7 bit (0...127)) can have a range of 0...16384. But Midi can't do that on a single midi note. So that fader should output its values through 2 midi notes. The first note for the first 7 bits, the second for the second 7 bits. I'm curious if it does work that way. Can you check that some way?
the bcf I have access to is defect, it erases my presets when i turn it off or change preset with the preset buttons. Maybe dmxlighting can do it using the MIDI-ox to track the midi signal
Maybe I should contact Behringer see if they would want to supply one for a competition!!
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”