These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Updater

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Updater

Post by dmxlighting »

mmax wrote:If I want to update my FreeStyler Version to the latest, I have to download the whole Installer. I think an updater, which automatically looks for the latest version and downloads it included in FS is a better solution for updating to the latest Version.
:fs:
This would take away the freedom to choose if you want to upgrade.
There are people that still use version 2.xx because they are happy with it and thats fine.
Sometimes Raph will release a patch that upgrades but the full version is still far better I think.
At the end of the day its not a very big file to download and does not take very long (unless you still have 56k connection :lol: )

Also I think an auto installed / downloaded fs would probably cause problems and confusion.

If its not broke then don't fix!

Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

dmxlighting wrote:If its not broke then don't fix!
I have always learned: "it it ain't broken, Break it!" this way we can event better things ;)

anyways in this matter I think dmxligting is right...
@mmax: I'm not sure I understand your problem. DJSupport have been talking about sending out an email to the forum users when a new version is available. then it is just to download the setup file, run it and install in the same directory as the old version. all your settings, fixtures, chases, locations etc from the old version is still there after the new installation.

Yes, it could be cool that FS notify you if a new version is available when starting up (like firefox, WinSCP etc) but it is not a "need to have" feature for me. I think there is other things which is more important (like the beizer shapes, had a lot of trouble with it last weekend)
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

If I understand correctly MMax wants it to download and update from the app itself oh and If I remember correctly FS did use to have a check for update feature im sure.. :-/
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Hey mmax
I was surfing on youtube yesterday and found this:

[youtube] PIGB4xmNlx0 [/youtube]

mmax, it's that you and what is it? some kind of update program??
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

djSupport wrote:If I understand correctly MMax wants it to download and update from the app itself oh and If I remember correctly FS did use to have a check for update feature im sure.. :-/
haven't seen that feature but in the freestyler.ini it said "[CheckForUpdate] value=0" in the earlier versions. not any more
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA

Post by Mattotone »

Im in the process of creating a launcher for freestyler which will check the server for a newer version and give the user the option to download it if they require.
Its currently working but needs a polish and auto locate the FS directory. Im off to the pub now (Weather is too good to miss )but will hopefully finish when i return.
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA

Post by Mattotone »

ok iv release a quick version which seems to work well.
Now its not an auto patcher, not knowing what files have changed and having the individual files on the server make this uneasy todo.

What it does do is check that you have the latest version (stable). Beta releasing soon for beta testers. if you have the latest version it will launch straight into FS. If you dont it will give you the option to download the latest installer. From there you install as normal (i like the option to be able to install if a different location for betas vs stable).
You can also cancel and continue to load FS.
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”