These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

PLEASE make a German version of FreeStyler!!

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER

Do you also wat a German version of FreeStyler/Möchtet ihr auch eine deutsche Version von FreeStyler

YES / JA
31%
NO / NEIN
69%

Total votes: 29

x-domi-x
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8

PLEASE make a German version of FreeStyler!!

Post by x-domi-x »

[english]
Please make a German version of FreeStyler!!
It's my favorite DMX software, but (for german and austrian people) it would be much easier to use if this software would be also available in German.
I hope the next version FreeStyler supports more languages.

[german]
Bitte macht eine Deutsche version von FreeStyler!!
Es ist meine lieblings DMX Software, sie würde aber (für Deutsche und Österreicher) viel leichter zu bedienen sein, wenn es davon auch eine Deutsche Version gäbe.
Ich hoffe die nächste FreeStyler Version unterstützt mehr Sprachen.

cyberb0b
Commited FS Forum helper
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: PLEASE make a German version of FreeStyler!!

Post by cyberb0b »

There is not even a duch version. :P :fs:

And keeping everything english, the whole world can use it.
Mavi
LJ
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mavi »

[englisch]
I think a german version would be nice. But there are many technical terms. How would you translate "chase", "fixture" or "cue" for example? Of course there will be a translation but I think translating those words will be also kind of confusing.

But to realize different languages you have to do more than only changing the software by programming. You also have to finde translators. And I am sure if you translate to one language other users will cry for there owne localized version.

[german]
Ich denke, dass eine deutsche Version durchaus schön wäre. Allerdings gibt es bei Freestyler auch sehr viele Fachbegriffe. Wie würdest du Beispielsweise "chase", "fixture" oder "cue" übersetzten? Sicher kann man da eine Übersetzung finden aber es würde mich glaube ich auch etwas verwirren.

Um verschiedene Sprachen zu realisieren ist jedoch mehr als nur die Anpassung der Software durch programmieren nötig. Du musst auch Übersetzter finden. Und ich bin mir sicher, wenn du erst eine Übersetzung fertig hast wollen die Nutzer aus anderen Längern ebenfalls ihre eigene lokalisierte Version haben.
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons
Mavi
LJ

Post by Mavi »

[englisch]
You see? During writing my post there are the first guys crying. Even before there is one translation ;)

[german]
Siehst du? Schon wärend ich meinen Beitrag verfasst habe, finden die ersten an zu schreien. Und das noch bevor es auch nur eine Übersetzung gab ;)
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

I voted 'no', for several reasons in non-deterministic order:

-English is a (almost) world wide accepted language - everyone (should) learn it.
-I'm a professional softare developer myself, translating software to another language the good way takes a tremendous amount of time - of which I feel Raph (the developer) can better use to built in new functionality or fix problems.
-Making choices how to translate certain words is a 40hr dayjob to begin with.
-Every fixture manual and other equipment is (at least) in english. (I know, sometimes also in native language and German) So, one should know how to read english anyway.
-When you are 'working'* in this technical industry, well speaking, reading and writing the English language is part of ADL (Activities of Daily Living).
-I hate German language (not Germans themselves, just the language)
-Last of all: I live in the Netherlands, next to the way bigger Germany. When I'm out on the street and for some reason a German men askes me to direct him to some adress, they always just start to speak inn German...? Just like everyone speaks German. "Hey! You're in Netherlands!", so speak Dutch OR English but don't start talking in German to me without even asking if I speak this language. (Yep I do, but in that case I can only say a few words: "Immer gerade aus"). :D Sorry, could'nt neglect this 'rant'. :mrgreen: No hard feelings.

* 'working': A FreeStyler home-user can consider himself as 'working' in this industry for this matter.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

remco_k wrote:I voted 'no', for several reasons in non-deterministic order:

-English is a (almost) world wide accepted language - everyone (should) learn it.
-I'm a professional softare developer myself, translating software to another language the good way takes a tremendous amount of time - of which I feel Raph (the developer) can better use to built in new functionality or fix problems.
-Making choices how to translate certain words is a 40hr dayjob to begin with.
-Every fixture manual and other equipment is (at least) in english. (I know, sometimes also in native language and German) So, one should know how to read english anyway.
-When you are 'working'* in this technical industry, well speaking, reading and writing the English language is part of ADL (Activities of Daily Living).
-I hate German language (not Germans themselves, just the language)
-Last of all: I live in the Netherlands, next to the way bigger Germany. When I'm out on the street and for some reason a German men askes me to direct him to some adress, they always just start to speak inn German...? Just like everyone speaks German. "Hey! You're in Netherlands!", so speak Dutch OR English but don't start talking in German to me without even asking if I speak this language. (Yep I do, but in that case I can only say a few words: "Immer gerade aus"). :D Sorry, could'nt neglect this 'rant'. :mrgreen: No hard feelings.

* 'working': A FreeStyler home-user can consider himself as 'working' in this industry for this matter.
Agreed - English rocks! - I may even learn to speak it correctly myself one day! :lol:
I must also remember to thank our Belgium born FS Developer (Raph) for making FS in English.
Also thanks to all the other no english nations for making such an effort to use MY native langauge.
Us English speakers are very lazy in that we do kinda expect that others WILL understand us.
English Rocks (however - England sucks!) (Written by an Englishman)
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Andre
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.2

Post by Andre »

Hi,

I didn't vote for anything, but maybe it would be nice to have something like a plaintext language file so everybody can localize it by himself. But i also think that it costs too much time which can spend better. My english isn't so good but to work with freestyler you do not need to speak it perfectly.
g3warrior
FreeStyler Version: 3

Post by g3warrior »

I live in Austria, speak German... All my operating systems are running in english, so i'm against it! Translating would be like watching Futurama or Southpark in German :-) (people are laughing about jokes that make no sense after the translation...)
matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Post by matt »

I have an idea..

Raph can you make all the text in Freestyler pull from an INI file.. Then users can make there own INI file for what ever version of text they want?\
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
Mavi
LJ

Post by Mavi »

I think that would be possible, but it is still a lot of work. You need a variable for every little text snippet. Then you may have some textes that are the same and can use the same text snippets. This would be good to keep the number of variables down. But on the other hand there are words wich are the same in englisch but have a different translation in an other language, like german.
Do not get me wrong. It would be a great step to a multilangual software and I would like it too. It sounds so easy ("he just need to put the text into an ini file") but in fact there is much work to do.
typeface01
FreeStyler Version: 3.2

Post by typeface01 »

what is it with german speaking people. always want to have german programs and translations. if you understand english what you have learned on school there is no problem. i'm dutch and proud of it but if i want to watch a movie or play a game or use a program i want to see the original language instead of crappy people who tried to translate but can't do it propperly.
ENGLISH is the most universal language in the world (no offence) get used to it. :fs:
Mavi
LJ

Post by Mavi »

I am german - but I do not have any problems with englisch software (or movies, or whatever). But we germans normaly have good translations. Ok, if you start watching original enlisch the playing with words is much better :)

If you look wich language is spoken moste, you will come up with Chinese. So wyh not translate everything to Chinese ;) ?

In fact there are so many terms you can not simple translate. "Cue" "Submaster" and "Tab Sync" are just some of them. How to translate those words? Either you come up with translations noone understands or you will end up describing and not translating.
I think for software with this special domains it is ok to use the domain language - which is englisch. Think about DJ-Software, too. Same there! Or would you really like to translate "play" :)
typeface01
FreeStyler Version: 3.2

Post by typeface01 »

true true

but like i said no offence.
on the spoken language chinese is the gratest. but i did not ment spoken language. i ment the most universal language. worldwide everyone (exept some regions of africa) english is a school language. chinese is not.

greats
Mavi
LJ

Post by Mavi »

I know what you mean. But I wanted to point out, there are some (of course) bad reasons to take other languages then english - which nearly noone would understand. So english seams to be the most usefull one!

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”