These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Fixture Centering and Alignment

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
GaryBonaducci
DJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Fixture Centering and Alignment

Post by GaryBonaducci »

I guess I should post again here so it can become an idea to be incorporated into a future FreeStyler revision?

I'd like to see a fixture centering/alignment feature added to FreeStyler that could be used with scanners and moving head fixtures.

My problem is that when I send the value "127" to my scanners' pan and tilt channels, they don't point the mirrors perfectly straight ahead. I do realize that I can adjust the fixture's alignment by physically turning it on its clamps and yokes, but I would rather have a software solution so I can keep my scanners mounted in the way that they are.

As Remco_K pointed out, this alignment feature could be easily applied similar to how the pan/tilt swap and inverse functions work in altering the actual DMX values sent over to the fixture. I figure once the alignment subprogram is used, its only a matter of simple mathematics to apply the X-Y offsets to the fixture's DMX channel.

Also, one possible benefit is that this software alignment feature could probably be used to permanently insert a linear fan into a series of fixtures.

GaryBonaducci
DJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: Fixture Centering and Alignment

Post by GaryBonaducci »

I see your point. Unfortunately for me, my problem is caused by the fact that my mirrors don't point straight when the fixture is mounted true! During the fixtures' startup, they turn to the extreme left and down to align itself. That's it! So while sending "0" to the pan and tilt channels will have it pointing fully to the left and bottom, sending "255" actually doesn't point the mirrors fully to the right and top!

Fortunately, my scanners can cover a wider range than I need it to, and so it won't be pointing to the extremities as you are concerned about. Even after putting in a linear fan into the correction values, the highest and lowest values I have entered are +15 and -18, or about +6% and -7%. My patterns and scenes at most only cover about 80% of the scanner's range, so I'm good. For now, at least. ;)
Fusion80
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.50
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by Fusion80 »

I would love to see this as well
Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Partyman »

most fixtures have the ability to adjust the pan and tilt within the fixture menu allowing for the correction on each fixture.
Schuim
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: lates
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by Schuim »

So, why is this still not a thing yet? ^^

If I could tell freestyler the offset of a fixture this would save a lot of time then do it manual on the light it self.
Just a sort of "set center" button (per fixture) would do the trick perfectly.

Or is there a easy function i'm not aware of in FS?
Man, that would be lovely. :fs:
lj_raph
FreeStyler Developer
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by lj_raph »

in FreeStyler setup you can find the correction functionality, fill in negative or positive values to correct channel values
Raphaël
FreeStyler support & development

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”