These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

(renamed) Issue with Override buttons

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...
FreeStyler Version: 4.1
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

(renamed) Issue with Override buttons

Post by Crrispy »

Hello,

Long time I didn't use FS, I was starting it without administrator flag.
It started putting chases in this ....Local\Virtualstore\.... folder instead of the usual Freestyler\chases dir, which is absolutely not wanted because I want to make full backups of fs by jut copying its directory, etc...

I copied back the files from the Virtual store Freestyler directory, now start FS as Administrator, almost everything is fine except at each startup of FS I get an error saying that it has recovered from an internal backup file. How can I fix this? I hoped that this recovery would happen only once, but no, at each startup. Probably some file to overwrite manually?

Thanks.
Last edited by Crrispy on July 8th, 2021, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FS Notebook for parties: i5 vpro, 4GB, SSD, Intel gfx, Win 10
Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: Windows Virtual store post-issue

Post by Partyman »

once you have everything working correct create a new backup file then restore it.
It may be happening because of pre 4.0 backup files and 4.1 don't like each other. install 4.1 then make a 4.1 backup file.
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...

Post by Crrispy »

Thanks, I'm going to try this.
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...

Post by Crrispy »

Partyman wrote: July 4th, 2021, 8:03 pm once you have everything working correct create a new backup file then restore it.
It may be happening because of pre 4.0 backup files and 4.1 don't like each other. install 4.1 then make a 4.1 backup file.
Hello, I've done that, restarted FS, still the same error at startup :?

Edit: it seems linked to the Backups\obtns.fsd file. It keeps the 07/03 date while other files in this dir are updated each time I start FS. If I remove it, the startup error goes away, but I lose all my override buttons. I think this occurred after the 3.6 -> 4.1 upgrade.
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...

Post by Crrispy »

I'm progressing, I found an override button that points to a sequence that has been deleted,but I'm not sure this is the issue. Whatever I do, the override buttons are not saved anymore at FS exit. Wether I just remove this sequence from the button, delete the Backups\obtns.fsd file and remap sequences to buttons, whatever change I do to the override buttons is not saved anymore :-( Even if I do a manual backup after changing the buttons, it is not saved.
I even tried to delete both obtns.fsd files (in the Freestyler and Backups dir), then no more error at loading, re-map them to sequences, but then the override buttons are not reloaded at next startup. They seem to be recorded in the file but FS doesn't load them. Looks like a bug here.
Last edited by Crrispy on July 9th, 2021, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perrip
Commited FS Forum helper
FreeStyler Version: 4.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: (renamed) Issue with Override buttons

Post by perrip »

Hey Thanks for all this info, I have been getting the same error after upgrading that at startup the msg " it has been uploaded from a backup", and then just locks up, and I have not found a fix
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...

Post by Crrispy »

Hopefully, here it works fine after this error. But I can't modify the override buttons and I have a party on tuesday where I'd need to modify them :-/
Make a backup of your full freestyler directory and try to see if the issue on your side is also with this file.
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

I would attempt these things to make it work, may be a pain but only things I can think of:

1.Delete problem override, create a new override for a different fixture, put it in the same spot as problem override, save as startup values, close and reopen FS. is error gone?

Clear ALL overrides, sequences and cues, "save as startup value". close and reopen FS, is error gone?

once error is gone you can go about rebuilding your buttons and cues then backup in FS4.10 and all should be good.

PLEASE READ MY POST ABOUT PROBLEMS WITH BACKOP FILES
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8906
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...

Post by Crrispy »

Hello,

I already tried all of this, it was not a big issue to re-map them. It doesn't work. Whatever change I now do to the override buttons is not saved, either at FS exit or even by doing a full backup manually. Or I should say is not reloaded at startup, because the obtns file seems to be filled up with what I add to the buttons, but.. the buttons are all blank in FS.
Last edited by Crrispy on July 11th, 2021, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...

Post by Crrispy »

I've created an issue in the bug tracker.
perrip
Commited FS Forum helper
FreeStyler Version: 4.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by perrip »

sounds good my upgrade to 4.1 has caused a lot of problems for me as well! would be great to have someone as good as partymam talk me through it. I continue to get the" it has been uploaded from a backup file" and then it all just locks up, that has caused many problems for me. have to revert to the older version.
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...

Post by Crrispy »

Weird. Any manual modification to the override buttons window does not get reloaded at next startup. But if I create a sequence and when saving it, check the "add to buttons" checkbox, then it is added to the next available button, and properly saved... Buggggg :-)
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...

Post by Crrispy »

Just asking: is the forum still monitored by support/dev?
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

You and I are support (and everyone else)!
I believe Raph (developer) monitors the forum occasionally but rarely comments. As far as I know this forum and Facebook are the only support available and none that are Freestyler "official".
Raph prefers to address all problems via the bugtracker and releases updates regularly to fix various issues.
Crrispy
Bug Zapper...

Post by Crrispy »

Well, I did 2 entries in the bug tracker, we'll see 4.1.1 :-)
Dangox
Just started using FS

Post by Dangox »

Maybe here's a coincidence:
i made a new location, inserted for testing a fixture, tested some sequences and cues - they work.
When i load now the "workplace Location" location and use the scenes/cues i used in the new location, they work now too! other, which i didnt use in the new location, don´t work.
now i setup a second fixture, pull some scenes for it to override-buttons, when pushed, the first fixture is triggered with the functions, which where before on the given buttons. if a scene of the second fixture is placed on a new never before used button, nothig happens on pushing it.

Next i completly removed all fixtures from setup, and the given overide button still are working :roll: !?!
viewtopic.php?p=34372#p34372
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

removing the fixtures will not matter. When you are programming you are sending certain values to certain channels. The actual fixture files are mostly there for us to keep track of what channels go to what. The scenes and cues do not reference fixture, only channels.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”