These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Help needed with DMX4ALL Usb Nano DMX interface and latest Freestyler (Error creating output thread)

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
hanshdre
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.50
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Help needed with DMX4ALL Usb Nano DMX interface and latest Freestyler (Error creating output thread)

Post by hanshdre »

Hello,

As I'm not positively sure that there is a bug, I'd like to ask for some advice. I have a DMX4ALL USB Nano DMX interface which perfectly works fine on my old Windows Vista laptop on which I still have an old version of Freestyler.

As this laptop is close to falling apart I have installed the latest Freestyler (3.6.50) on a newer Windows 10 laptop. Also installed the latest driver from DMX4ALL. The driver installs fine and Windows 10 nicely reports it with the assigned virtual COMx port.

Whatever I try or do, I cannot make this work with Freestyler. I select DMX4ALL 3rd generation as per instructions from DMX4ALL's manuals, and the assigned com port. Freestyler always comes with the "Error creating output thread".

To find out if this is a driver or Windows10 issue, I installed DMX4ALL configurator from the DMX4ALL's website, and this software sees the interface, opens it and I can control my fixtures.

What am I doing wrong here in Freestyler? Or is this maybe a bug that I need to report? I've been struggling with this for months now, gave it up and continued to use my old Vista laptop but can't do this forever.

Any hints of suggestions appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Hans

IJsselstein, Netherlands

hanshdre

Re: Help needed with DMX4ALL Usb Nano DMX interface and latest Freestyler (Error creating output thread)

Post by hanshdre »

This problem has now miraculously gone away. I still don't get it, as I have had this issue for a long time and rebooting, changing port number etc has never had succes. Today, I started my PC and it simply works. I'm beginning to think that maybe after a port# change in de Freestyler setup, the PC needs a reboot?
Anyone who recognizes this and can confirm? I just want to be sure Freestyler doesn't let me down on my next gig. I guess I will have the old laptop at hand just in case.
hanshdre

Re: Help needed with DMX4ALL Usb Nano DMX interface and latest Freestyler (Error creating output thread)

Post by hanshdre »

Unfortunately, the problem came back. Due to connecting other USB stuff, apparently the DMX4ALL interface went to another com port. Changed the com port in Freestyler accordingly, but Freestyler persistently comes up with the :"Error creating output thread" error. I will file a bug report. I'm beginning to get convinced this is a bug.

If anyone have a suggestion please tell.

Thanks Hans
hanshdre

Post by hanshdre »

I spent another couple of hours troubleshooting. After all, I think I now have solved this issue, finally. It seems it is caused by the DMX4ALL driver itself. I now went uninstalling their driver completely and notice that Windows 10 will install the DMX4ALL Nano by itself, as a USB Serial device, and assigns a com port. Now, Freestyler can select it and works fine with 3.6.50. I also went messing around with connecting the DMX4ALL to different USB ports and even via a USB hub, and on whatever com port it appears, as long as I choose it within Freestyler setup, Freestyler now nicely opens it.

So I guess, the ancient driver from DMX4ALL is to blame.

Hope this helps others.

Regards, Hans

Return to “FreeStyler Software”