These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Crashing laptop

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
stompinne
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler

Crashing laptop

Post by stompinne »

A couple of times i had some issues (faulty fixture which lost it powersupply) with the electrical supply to my fixtures, which caused a lost of data in the freestyler DMX-chain.
No problem with that, but it also caused the bad behaviour of rebooting my laptop.
What possibilities are there to prevent freestyler or the dmx interface from rebooting the laptop.

lynxus
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Home Lighting Control

Re: Crashing laptop

Post by lynxus »

hmm a fresh install of windows? thats not normal.. maybe your Dmx hardware drivers need updating?
lynxus
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Home Lighting Control

Post by lynxus »

I mean,.. If i pull a cable and kill the chain, nowt happens. There shouldnt be any "feedback" so thats odd. Id say the driver for the hardware is spagged... what hardware you using?>
stompinne

Post by stompinne »

lynxus wrote: June 5th, 2019, 11:00 pm hmm a fresh install of windows? thats not normal.. maybe your Dmx hardware drivers need updating?
with rebooting i mean, the laptop restarts (not installing windows)
stompinne

Post by stompinne »

lynxus wrote: June 5th, 2019, 11:02 pm I mean,.. If i pull a cable and kill the chain, nowt happens. There shouldnt be any "feedback" so thats odd. Id say the driver for the hardware is spagged... what hardware you using?>
Windows 10 updated, 16 ram memory, I-7.
"Enttec dmx usb pro" into a powered usb-hub
stompinne

Post by stompinne »

lynxus wrote: June 5th, 2019, 11:02 pm I mean,.. If i pull a cable and kill the chain, nowt happens. There shouldnt be any "feedback" so thats odd. Id say the driver for the hardware is spagged... what hardware you using?>
Yes, you're right...pulling out power and dmx cables is not the cause.
Tried this a lot yesterday with a working dmx-chain.
Wundering what could be the cause of this malfunction.
Flip
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Flip »

Sounds strange but I guess that somehow your USB Port draws too much power. If you mention a failed power supply of a fixture there might have been a larger leaking current over your DMX cable into your interface and into your laptop. The most power supplies of laptops and PCs are resetting (either only the USB supply or the whole system) if they detect a short or overcurrent.
The Enttec interface is supposed to have a galvanic isolation to prevent things like this to happen. Maybe it failed.

It still could be a software problem with outdated or incompatible drivers.
PhantomDj
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.49
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by PhantomDj »

Does the laptop reboot with a BSOD ?
If yes, take a photo of the message code near the bottom of the screen. That message code could help you pinpoint the cause of the reboot.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”