These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

How to Sync to Music when Cue has lag?

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
JMK
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

How to Sync to Music when Cue has lag?

Post by JMK »

Hi!

I'm very much new to DMX. I have Enttec Open DMX USB and a simple RGBW light fixture to mess around with. The idea is to sync a light-show to music. The first problem I encountered was when creating sequences, you can only change the speed of the step by increments of 100 ms, making syncing up properly quite impossible if not using certain tempos (like 60, 100, 120, 150, 200 and so on). I was wondering if there's a way to control the speed of the steps with more finesse? I guess in the cue editor I can change the speed by a certain percentage to match the tempo of the song?

Second thing I noticed was when I added a few sequences to the cue list and then played the whole thing with the music in the background. When cues change to the next one, there seems to be some latency there between the cues. I could notice the lightshow going off-sync after 2-3 cues, getting worse from there on out. Is this not the way to do a pre-programmed show that syncs up with the music? I double checked the sequences, when played and looped to the music in the sequence editor everything syncs up fine. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what the cue editor is for and have to use a different tool for my purposes?

What I'm trying to do is achieve a pre-programmed show that you can just press a button to play and it will sync up with a song properly without going off-sync. Is this even possible with Freestyler? Thanks!

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: How to Sync to Music when Cue has lag?

Post by remco_k »

You mean to sync up just by using pre configured time in and between steps?
I think that would be a hell of a job to get it done, and you will always have some kind of drifting problem since the 'time' runs free of your audio source.

Most of the time users use the sound 2 light plugin to sync up their lights.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: How to Sync to Music when Cue has lag?

Post by spud1511 »

Sorry I’m a bit late on this, I do this by sending the live beat grid and poi’s that trigger stuff from virtual Dj software that plays the music.
That way it all stays perfectly in place even if I change the tracks speed during playback.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”