These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Permanent strobing from all program sources after reboot

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Glmmantis
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Permanent strobing from all program sources after reboot

Post by Glmmantis »

Win 10
latest build
enttec pro usb

Lights all function perfectly when testing w Enttec Pro dmx utility.

Yesterday I added all fixtures. made scenes, chases etc. All good.

Last night I used this laptop for one light ( led can- fixture created) Light since removed from software but was functioning perfectly up until freeze.

Software and or laptop locked up. Could not close software or do anything on lap top w ctr+alt+delete. Had to do hard reboot.

Today all fixtures are strobing during all commands. but still normal and correct w the dmx utility.

Did uninstall/reinstall of software and still have strobing. Makes no diff if Lights are run from manual triggers. scenes or chases. every chase, every scene, is acting as entered but they all strobing.

checked all dmx addresses on every light etc.

Removed and re-added fixtures. No solution found yet.

Can't figure out what the heck Im missing.

Help Please!

Glmmantis

Re: Permanent strobing from all program sources after reboot

Post by Glmmantis »

This is beyond bizzare.

Fired up laptop today. Reinstalled Freestyler, added fixtures, ran test on 5 ADJ par 38B's (6 channel mode) and 5 ADJ Par 64 Pro LEDs. they worked perfectly. All i did shut down and restart laptop and now the non stop strobing has returned. All fixtures and enttec dmx pro were left on and they were also on before i started laptop and installed FS ( again) before i restarted laptop.

cant imagine what causes this.
Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Partyman »

Seems like a problem with your usb dongle and windows. I have never experienced what you are and have Freestyler running on a bunch of Windows 10 machines.
Glmmantis

Post by Glmmantis »

Thanks But when i run my enttec pro utility everything comes up perfectly.

The utility sends dmx signal from 0 -255 on any channel you tell it to.

So on my Par LED cans i send a full signal ( 255) to channel 1 and all fixtures on address 1 go full red no strobing. Every channel does exactly what it is supposed to do per that fixtures channels.

I have checked usb cables, drivers for enntec usb pro ( dongle) and it does not matter if i use my wireless dmx or hard wired dmx cables. Same results
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

not sure what to tell you, seems like something is clashing with the software. try downloading one of the earlier versions and see if results are any better. Also make sure you have dot net 3.5 framework installed.
Glmmantis

Post by Glmmantis »

After letting a couple days pass to gather my thoughts, this problem may stem from this:

Same thing happened a few years ago. I dug up that old lap top and got the same results.

I have a no name LED par can i made a fixture for. It is permanently hung at an account I do every Wednesday night. Dip switch set to address 1. Since my FS was built as having the 1st fixture at address 1 and this no name light at #1, I am wondering if there is some computer or software issue that will not allow ALL fixtures and settings to overwrite or reset upon a new install.

Explained another way: I have set up all my fixtures with the first light starting at 1. This other light is also at #1 but it is only used by itself .So when i add the no name light and then remove it ( or even leave it) , I get the inaccurate sequences strobing. I have seen the " using this address may cause inaccurate sequences" when i add this no name fixture. The no name LED worked perfectly Wednesday night btw. Again it is only used by itself. Removing it or leaving in the fixture profile has not helped at all. Removing all other fixtures = same thing.

So I'm wondering if there is some data left behind after uninstall that causes this. Removing the fixtures, reinstalling FS , etc. etc has certainly not been successful.

Baffling!
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

Should not be anything left over and have not had that problem. I use the same install for many different fixture arrangements and locations. Under the file menu at the top you can change locations which will also put new fixture lists and all different sequences. I have several setups installed in night clubs that the fixtures seldom change. I also have about 4 laptops running Freestyler for private events and the fixtures and addresses change every time I setup.
My suggestion would be to do a fresh install, load the fixtures needed for that location, build scenes and such then save the location. I would then start a "New location" with whatever different sequences and such and save it also. You should then be able to bounce to different setups without issue.
Also, could you post the fixture file of your "No Name" Fixture file so that I can look at it for any possible errors within the fixture file?
Glmmantis

Post by Glmmantis »

Thanks again!

Pretty sure i tried doing locations. Agree that there should be nothing left over but I have tried everything i can think of. All cables, all fixtures. Will do another fresh install and do new locations today. Almost positive i at least tried new location one or more times.

Meanwhile I have another software I'm learning. That will most definitely point to usb dmx pro or something else if it is something other than FS software. But like i said everything runs perfectly on the pro utility. I did drivers too.

This no name fixture is flippin backwards from most. Down is up etc.

Don't believe it exists anymore ( at least in FS) as I have wiped everything. Will see if the file is in fixture creator when I fire up that laptop.

I feel like I was getting really good w FS until this. Was so happy.

So.... Copy the no name fixture file and copy it here?
Can we post files to chat board?

Thanks!
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

No, You will need to export the fixture file from the file menu. You can then post the exported file here
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

Also, Do you get the crazy strobing effect if you have no fixture loaded? If so then the fixture file does not matter. If you are saying that after loading fixture and addresses and after a software restart, everything goes crazy then the fixture file is most likely the issue.
Hint: You can use any fixture file to control your fixture but things may not line up. Meaning: If your no name fixture is 6 channel then find ANY par fixture that is 6 channel, install then attempt to operate your fixture with that file. Does not matter what the channel labels are, if your fixture is channel 1 dimmer and channel 2 red then move those channels on the dummy fixture and see if the light reacts.
Also, many lights make your turn on dip switch 10 to be in DMX mode. If your fixture has dip switches then make sure that is not an issue.
Glmmantis

Post by Glmmantis »

sorry for dropping out of the conversation. still no solution here.

fixture file long gone.

i have seen what you describe using other fixture files. and yes they do not line up.

paperwork says this light is 7 channel but it is only 6. alot of channel attributes are backwards. Like 0 = full and 256 = nothing.

again... enttec usb pro utility works perfectly. channels do what they are supposed to. ( nothing on ch 7)

not happy w the software i bought. id rather fix this issue.

but again. every fixture, different types and diff manufacturers etc ALL do the strobing thing after THIS BS fixture was created/ removed/ deleted/ software un and reinstalled. Its flippin crazy !
PhantomDj
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.49

Post by PhantomDj »

Do a simple test please:

1) Start FS
(All your lights should strobe now, right ?)
2) Click on a single fixture that's strobing to select it.
3) Click on Expand faders on the right to show all chennels for that fixture. Do you see ANY channel(s) having a different value than 0 ?
4) If yes, (most likely the answer will be yes) write down which fixture, the channel name and it's value.
5) Open the DMX output window. Notice if any of the channels that belong to the fixture you selected above are not the same as the values you wrote down on step 4. If such channels exist, write them down as well

6) Now report back here with your findings
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

I would uninstall AND also delete the Freestyler folder from C drive then reinstall. You may have a settings file that sticks around after uninstall.
Glmmantis

Post by Glmmantis »

Will do.

Might be awhile.
Will have to download FS again. Hook up Enttec, lights etc.

My gear usually isn't in the house to test and cant do these things in the field due to logistics.

Don't recall seeing any values that were out of line.

Pretty sure I did delete folder, & anything and everything that had FS associated w it.

Thanks!
Lee

Return to “FreeStyler Software”