These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Freestyler Crashing! Urgent!!!

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
jtlayne
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3635
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Freestyler Crashing! Urgent!!!

Post by jtlayne »

Hello. I just recently installed the latest version of FS onto a brand new Win 10 PC with 4GB memory and Freestyler is randomly crashing. I can't see what the root cause is that is doing it. I am very familiar with the software and this is the first time I have had an issue with it actually. Are there any FS log files that may tell us why this happening? The PC is strictly for Freestyler and that is the only thing running on it.

I have now switched the uDMX dongle from a 3.0 to a 2.0 USB port to see if that does anything and have ensured the power settings for the computer are not trying to shut anything down. This is rather urgent since it is the first night the club I installed it for is using it.

On another note I am running an earlier version with the same dongle at another venue on a Windows 7 PC and have had no issue there or at home while testing with my Win 10 Laptop.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: Freestyler Crashing! Urgent!!!

Post by Partyman »

I would search about the UDMX dongle on here< I seem to recall driver issues
jtlayne

Post by jtlayne »

Appreciate the info. However, I have the same dongle and driver running on win xp, 7. and 10 until that PC crashed. Maybe it something with the driver and Win 10 specifically? I will look into it and see. Thanks for the fast response.

To reiterate though besides windows logs there isn't any freestyler logging done that would help determine why it is closing itself out and then Windows stating Freestlyer has crashed with a generic error correct?
Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Partyman »

Are you running s2l? if so try running without and see if there is a difference. Only other thing would be the power settings for usb ports in windows device manager.
Make sure you have windows update completed. I have had some wonky stuff go on while update is running in the background. I have also learned that just because it updates and computer restarts does not mean in is finished, sometimes it requires multiple downloads and restarts to complete
jtlayne

Post by jtlayne »

Not running s2l. I have taken the PC off of the internet by disabling the network adapters and have made sure all the current Windows updates are installed.

Another thought did cross my mind though. I started programming scenes on Monday and after setting the password to Freestyler it started crashing. Then Tuesday I disabled the password protection entirely to do some more programming with Freestyler. The last thing I did was re-enable password protection Tuesday night and then yesterday it was crashing on them. I will disable to protection again today and test to see what happens. May be a bug or something.
jtlayne

Post by jtlayne »

As an update removing the password did not resolve the issue and trying to install the latest driver for the dongle here> http://www.illutzmination.de/udmxdriver.html?&L=1 did not resolve this. The driver version I saw in device manager is from 2014 which is kinda odd that version supports Windows 10. I also went to device manager and disabled power cut offs on the USB ports on the PC.

This is the first time I have tried the newest version, but does anybody have 2 versions prior? ( 3.6.43 ) This version doesn't seem to be giving me any issues on another PC.
jtlayne

Post by jtlayne »

Ok, so last update. I finally got this resolved. BIOS update seems to have fixed my issue. I should've known better being the IT guy that I am, but nobody's perfect. I have on happy customer now :-)

Return to “FreeStyler Software”