These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Question on DMX fixture adressing / Submasters / Snap & fade

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Caloute
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.645
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Question on DMX fixture adressing / Submasters / Snap & fade

Post by Caloute »

Hi All,

I have been testing Freestyler for a little while now and reading about it as much as I can, and I have a few questions, I am not finding answers to. I really like the software and I hope I can manage to use it with ease.

The first question is about adressing fixtures, for example in an operation using a hardware controller such as Obey40, I would be able to use multiple fixtures with the same address, example I could use mulitple LED PAR on Channel 1 and multiple LED PAR on Channel 8, I have tried to do the same but it does work it seems with Freestyler, as when I do add the second time it just seems it just want to replace the first fixture I added. Could anyone comment if I am missing something or do I just have to put the same address on the second LED PAR, and add one fixture icon on the program would represent 2 physical lights? If it is so, then it wouls no represent well when usingmagic 3D.

The second question, is about Submaster, I understand the concept, but the problem when for example adding some AVE Cobra Wash200 colors in submaster column, when I run the first lets say Red, is all good as soon as I put Blue it become come of purple, as if the Red is still on, any remedy to that, I suppose this would be different fromm a gobo style of lights where, it is actually a colour wheel and cannot really be blended with another color...but yeah how do you resolve this issue, I was able with the button to do the light better when I take choose the disable other button option, but what I really would like to know is what I am doing wrong in Submaster. The button would be great option for colors if it did not disable all other butttons such as your movements etc...but I still have to test that.

AThe third question is about Fade and Sap, can anybody give me real example of it, as the help file only talk about values, but does not give a real example it is really unclear and I have the feeling these things are of importance to understand.

Thank You,
Caloute

Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: Question on DMX fixture adressing / Submasters / Snap & fade

Post by Partyman »

I will get you started

You can put as many of the same fixture as you want at any given address. If you have them all addressed the same then they will all react the same. There is no way to make the lights do different things while addressed the same (one red and one blue) they would all be either red or blue.

Our intelligent lights only do what they are told to do. If you tell a light to turn blue then tell it to turn red without telling it to turn the blue off you then get one color on top of the other. Program non used channels or they will carry previous values during play. There are many ways to stack cues and sequences to suit your needs. As you learn the software you will learn which ways suit your programming needs

Fade/Snap
We will use intensity for our example.
When programming and you want the lights to come on full instantly "BAM" you would set the channel to yellow/snap. If you wanted that light to fade in slowly over a second or two then you would set the channel to green/fade
Caloute

Post by Caloute »

Thank you Party Man,

I understand that if I set multiple light (Of the same brand and model) to DMX Channel 1 they will all do the same, but I was wondering if it was possible to see them in the freestyler program, like now it seems I can only put one fixture on address 1 then the second fixture goes to a different address and so on, so it means that if I could link up to 3d view I only have one fixture at this address while physically I could have 4 or more on channel 1 but it will not show up, does it make sense?

So when I program the AVE COBRA MINI WASH 200 for example green then program blue, when I put it in sub master under the colour column, I run the green no problem, but somehow pushing the Stop button does not stop it, so as such when I run the Blue it makes like another colour, it is kind of not what I would like, what I would like is for it to change colour whenever I click on it, if it was only running that type of light buttons could work with disable all other buttons options, but then as soon as I add other lights types it seems it is a no go, I do believe something I do must be wrong, might be just a setting, I have been trying for hours...

Thank you I understand the fade and snap

Caloute
Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Partyman »

Problem1:
If you want to see the multiples of fixtures on the desktop within freestyler you can right click on fixture and select "clone" and repeat as desired. In the visualizer the same thing goes when patching the fixture you can right click a fixture and select "clone" i believe.

Problem2:
when programming make sure you select either green or yellow(fade or snap) for all channels of each fixture you are programming
Example: To program red
Red - 255 - Snap(yellow)
Green - 0 - Snap
Blue - 0 - Snap

For a blue sequence it would be
Red - 0 - Snap
Green - 0 - Snap
Blue - 255 - Snap

In each sequence I tell each color exactly what I want it to do. If i do not set the red channel to 0 in the blue sequence then the red will carry over from the red sequence giving you pink
Caloute

Post by Caloute »

Thanks heaps, I just realized problem 2 basically 5 minutes before reading this. Will give it a go for problem 1 thanks. The best way to learn is to play with it and try stuff...

Return to “FreeStyler Software”