These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

(yet another idiot) newbie question - Sound !!

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
swetarkus
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

(yet another idiot) newbie question - Sound !!

Post by swetarkus »

I've at least tried, honestly ! Youtube, google, here and everywhere..

So, I don't have freestyler yet. Still with a cheapish physical controller running 2 small stands of DMX lights for a band. (12 fixtures in total).

My main question is whether freestyler can do scene changes, or other effects, based on sound.
In our case, freestyler would be run from the same machine running the remote mixing of the sound (a rockband). I could imagine that IF sound-to-light works, then freestyler could pick up the sound either from the active soundcard in Windows or perhaps having a microphone ?

From what I've found by searching, a lot seems to be support for sound-to-light is there, but more per fixture than for controlling the scene changes. Though, many threads I've found/read seems to be a couple of years old.

So, recap,, interested in buying suitable usb-dmx, run freestyler, then let live music during events set the pace of the light and/or scene changes. Doable ?

T.i.a and hope the question isn't the same for the 100th time!!!...sorry.

Addition/Note;
Using the Behringer X-air series digital mixer that also work as a soundcard in Windows.
That leaves 2 options and/or requirements;
If using the Behringer's "sound" via USB as soundcard, then we of course need it to be connected via USB to the mixer on stage and thereby restricting placement.

In other words, preferred solution if doable would be if a simple microphones on the same PC running freestyler
could work.

Gaucho
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: X2
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: (yet another idiot) newbie question - Sound !!

Post by Gaucho »

Yes you can run scenes or random with sound to light.

I have Freestyler on a cheap lap top with music software on another PC. As a bodge used the headphone out on the mixing desk into the mic in on the laptop hence avoiding picking up any ambient sound.
Lwcevents
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.6
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: (yet another idiot) newbie question - Sound !!

Post by Lwcevents »

Hi Ya

little late but - yes you can run S2L via the Virtual DJ pluggin, a microphone, briging the Mic and Headphones socket (if you have them) OR using a small free software program.

You can buy from ebay/amazon etc a 512 UDMX dongle and plug that in, program your lights to static colours (ignore the macros etc) and without the need for scenes and let the "Random" selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyR5J3N0_1w

hope this helps :)

Chris

Return to “FreeStyler Software”