These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Cannot trace fixture Topic is solved

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Organum
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Cannot trace fixture

Post by Organum »

I am a newbie to DMX but fully MIDI compliant ;-)

I have a very basic system to get to learn about DMX but have hit a stop with the fixture I have.
Although I have the addressing information it seems that I must have a fixture compliant setup file and there are so many I don't know which to choose, although I have tried a few.
20171230_100129.jpg
Does anyone recognise the fixture in the picture and which would be the correct setup on FreeStyler3?

The interface seems to be recognised OK.

Many thanks and Happy New Year

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: Cannot trace fixture

Post by Rod_Horning »

Attached is a generic 32 channel fixture.
Import it and add it to Freestyler.
Make sure the Freestyler address is the same as you have set in the DIP switches.
This will allow you to experiment with the light.
It would be most helpful if you could find a user manual. (If it is simply a light it will only use one channel which would probably be a dimmer channel).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Organum

Post by Organum »

FreestylerSetup1.jpg
Thank you so much for this. I have added to Freestyler but when I add the fixture it shows the setup page, I add the root address of 1,1 and then the fixture is not displayed in the fixture list.
I have attached the screen as is and also the fixture instructions.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Richard
Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Partyman »

Try using this fixture file. Double click file, once installed open freestyler and patch fixture
Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6

Post by Rod_Horning »

After you try the fixture posted by Partyman please also try this fixture.

Here is the fixture for your light.

After you Import it, add it to the Freestyler workspace. (You will find it in a folder named COZ. You will need to click or double click on the folder name to expand it).
The fixture name is COZ CAN LED UPDATED
Once you have added the fixture to the Freesylter workspace, select it by clicking on the picture.
Next, click the top menu item Windows -> All
This will open the following helpful Freestyler programming windows:
Lamp
Colors.

The Lamp window has 3 sections; the middle part (a slider for the full range of the strobe speed and 4 push buttons for selected strobe speed) and the bottom for the Dimmer. Note that to turn the strobe off click on the Off button. The strobe slider has a range of 128 to 255. The strobe value when the slider is all the way to the left is 128 (slow strobe) not 0.

The Color window is very helpful in mixing the RGB leds to obtain the desired color.

I've been working with another user with the same (I think) light. They report that when the turn the light on it will strobe immediately. Please post your experience for comparison.

COZ LED Can updated.pff
Organum

Post by Organum »

Thanks very much folks.
The COZ file worked fine after I made a few discoveries. Since your instructions were detailed I found my experience did not mirror those instructions so uninstalled the prog and downloaded and installed a new copy from the Freestyler website.
The next trick was that to get the fixture to install it was not sufficient to just select the fixture and add, you had to double click on the fixture which opened up the actual install which could then be selected and added.
At this point the light came on but fully red, so I experimented with various settings and I could select the master on the right of the screen and adjust R and G but not B.
I did try the other fixture but this did not show up in the way expected, i.e. Colorsplash.
Any ideas? I realise I am debugging a new system that may never work properly. The interface is listed as uDMX both in System Devices and Freestyler and is reported to be installed correctly.
Thanks very much
Organum

Post by Organum »

Fixed. I found that the DIP switch was set to address 1 which assumed had to match the fixture base address. In fact switching the DIP switch off then made all RGB function normally AFAICS.

Thanks very much for your help and when I get a mo I will delve into all this DMX stuff in more details. Looks very interesting.
buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Post by buttza »

Also some fixtures have a 10th switch which is DMX on/Off. :) Just a tip. :)

Return to “FreeStyler Software”