These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

delayed cues when using Windows 10

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
clantogw
Knows how to turn Lights ON

delayed cues when using Windows 10

Post by clantogw »

Simply put, I have programmed cues to sync up with songs in Freestyler.

My interface: Gus electronics.

My symptom: As the cue is playing, the steps slowly get way out of sync, as a result of each step taking longer than it should. (for example: if it is set to 700ms, it may take 900ms).

***EDIT: Here is an example of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_t3mw2AVKg The computer on the right (win7) is going the correct speed, the computer on the left gradually falls more and more out of sync (windows8)****

In Windows 7 This works perfectly. I have been doing this for years with no problem. But my computer is falling apart from being on the road and I am afraid it will die for good soon.

I recently bought a very small chinese tablet PC with Windows 10 to run freestyler on (model: Chuwi Hi8). I copied my old cues onto the new computer. With this, I was experiencing the delays I just described. I came here looking for answers and decided that the problem is the little tablet is just too slow to keep up. Makes sense.

So I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 to make sure I had more than enough juice.
My new computer is much much faster than my original windows 7 machine. Freestyler uses 0% of the CPU when running. But it has delays exactly like the tiny chinese tablet did.

I have already tried downgrading the drivers to the same ones i was using in Windows 7 (from the Gus electronics website), changing the refresh rate, and assigning more priority to the program. (and many other things too stupid to mention)

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? My next step will be to install Windows 7 on my new computer and see if that fixes it. But I am hoping someone else has experienced this, and has a painfully simple fix.

I would like to stay on windows 10 if possible!
Last edited by clantogw on February 27th, 2018, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: delayed cues when using Windows 10

Post by Partyman »

I use Freestyler on many windows 10 computers but I have not really examined the timing. I will check a couple of my rigs and report back in a few days
clantogw

Post by clantogw »

thank you party man. i think the easiest way to recreate the problem would be to do 12 scenes at 5 seconds each, then play the cue and start a stop watch at 60 seconds at the same time. presumably the cue would not take longer than the assumed 60 seconds

although my cues are more like 40 scenes and looks something like

500ms
17000ms
700ms
1500ms
700ms
31200ms
...etc
clantogw

Post by clantogw »

please forgive the delay, I've been putting this off by using my old falling-apart computer but really want to get this working.

I've downgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 8.1 in hopes that the problem lied in Windows 10. Unfortunately I have the same problem.

To summarize I can load up the same cue on two different computers, one Windows 7 and one Windows 8.1/10...
If I press play at exactly the same time, they start at the same time, but slowly the 8.1/10 computer falls out of sync, adding a few hundred milliseconds to each change, until by the end of my program, it is a few seconds behind.

I have no personal problem with downgrading to Windows 7, but I cant seem to find a modern tablet that will even allow a Windows 7 install.

And just to rule this out, the problem is the same whether im using my DMX interface or just running Freestyler in "demo" mode with no device connected.

Does anyone else have a win 7 computer with freestyler and a 8.1/10 computer with freestyler where they can replicate this?

(i just want to add that the windows 7 computer is in fact in time and not running too fast, it is the newer windows OS that is running it too slow)
Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by Rod_Horning »

I don't know if this is the problem but it may be worth your while reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... h=820fd3b4
clantogw

Post by clantogw »

Rod_Horning wrote: February 27th, 2018, 1:50 am I don't know if this is the problem but it may be worth your while reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... h=820fd3b4
Thank you rod! this is interesting, I dont fully understand it but after some googling I found that "the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8" So it could be related
Seems to have some implication for games and audio recording, But again I will have to look into it more to understand if and how it could relate to freestyler
Last edited by clantogw on February 27th, 2018, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
clantogw

Post by clantogw »

Ive uploaded a video of the problem to better explain the problem. a picture is worth 1000 words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_t3mw2AVKg

The computer on the right (and top) is the original Windows 7 computer. The one on the left is one of my newer computers currently running windows 8.1.

The easiest way to notice the problem is to watch for the program to change on the Win7 computer, then quickly look at the Win8 computer for it to change later and later. by the end the problem becomes very obvious

Return to “FreeStyler Software”