These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

led pixel mapping

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
devino99
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

led pixel mapping

Post by devino99 »

hello guys, i use freestyler since a year for now, and i'm very happy with it. :fs:

but now i'm going to buy a 12x12 rgb pixel wall with 432 channels, (3 dimmers for every led)
how do you handle a fixture with that much channels? how can you control more of them?
thanks

Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: led pixel mapping

Post by Rod_Horning »

You could define a fixture with 432 channels but I think you would find it awkward to program.

Consider defining a three channel fixture (example attached).

When you add the fixture to Freestyler you could tell Freestyler the starting address and to add all 144 LEDs at the same time. This is easy and ensures the addressing is correct. You will probably want to change the names assigned by Freestyler to something that helps you program - perhaps include the row and column of the LED in the name.

One advantage of this approach is that the color of each LED can be set using the Colors window (I find using the pallet easier than entering the values for the RGB channels directly.

As to controlling multiple fixtures, Freestyler can control 2 DMX Universes. To do this requires 2 DMX controllers. This would allow you to control 2 of these instruments plus a few other lights.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
devino99

Post by devino99 »

thanks for reply, but the main thing is to map the walls with the ledtrix plugin, so i need all the channels. i just wondered how some shows with big screens and more than 1024 channels can be controlled.
i think i need a few nodes, a fullsize grandma and 50k bucks :D
Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Jan_K »

Hej.

Just a small comment.

Ledtrix can only handle one universe meaning 512 channels.

/Jan
devino99

Post by devino99 »

oh ok good to know thanks, can i controll my lamps in the First Universe with a dmx interface, and map a 500 channel led wall with ledtrix via a second artnet interface in the 2. universe?
Rod_Horning

Post by Rod_Horning »

I am confused by your comment that "I need all the channels".

I've been playing with LEDTRIX and the Fixture Creator.

One thing I found is that the Fixture Creator only allows a max channel of 255. I do not yet understand the RGB segments so that may change this limit, I do not know. If this is a limit then you could define a fixture with 216 channels and add 2 of these to Freestyler. This tells Freestyler about all 432 channels and LEDTRIX will control all of them.

Back to my original post, defining a 3 channel fixture (RGB) and adding 144 of these to Freestyler provides all 432 channels and allows LEDTRIX to control them all. And it provides the ability to control each LED via the COLOR window if you choose that route instead of LEDTRIX.
Rod_Horning

Post by Rod_Horning »

Update: Using the RGB segments provides the benefits of adding 144 fixtures but only requires adding 2 fixtures.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”