These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Mysterious flickering with Enttec DMXUSB PRO (SOLVED) Topic is solved

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Skipper
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Mysterious flickering with Enttec DMXUSB PRO (SOLVED)

Post by Skipper »

Hi all,

just started around two weeks ago learning the FreeStyler, the Enttec DMXUSB PRO and DMX light control of the Chauvet Cubix 2.0.

I've been learning from wiki, forum, help files [though they do not reflect all the time to the latest SW] etc. So far so good, the light can be controlled, but not satisfactory for me.

I am using the latest 3.6.43 version of the FreeStyler. The USB Driver is up to date. The Enttec firmware and SW is up to date.

When I use the Enttec 'DMX Pro Manager' or Enttec 'Pro Utility 2', I'll get nice steady lights and figures, the motion is smooth, the strobe works perfectly. So I think that the Cubix works perfectly well, the DMXUSB PRO works perfectly well, the PC has power enough to run the application and the USB interface, and I have a knowledge how to make lights change with DMX control.

I tested with one channel only, several channels together and mixed combinations. Everything works perfectly well with the Enttec SW.

Then when I change to the FreeStyler, use the ready made Chauvet Cubix 2.0 Fixture and just only the sliders on the right hand side of the window (no sequenses, no cues etc.), moving one slider at the time, the lights will change the colour and the mid section of the lights will change the figure. Also the output window shows the values accordingly.

The problem is that the light is flickering. Feels like the motor is returning back to the starting point, the strobe will have additional beats and the end result is practically unusable.

For me it looks like the FreeStyler is sending value 0 to all channels every now and then. This makes the light blink, the motor to return back to the starting point and the strobe will miss a beat.

To solve this, I've spent hours browsing, searching and making changes. The following has already been made:
- I've tried to change the FreeStyler settings of the refresh rate. It looks like it changes the flickering rate.
- I've tried to change the settings of the Enttec DMXUSB PRO. Didn't change anything.
- I've disabled the Wifi. No change.
- I've monitored the CPU and memory load (CPU around 8 %, more than 50 % of the memory free).
- I've checked the USB driver and reloaded it. No change.
- I've used different USB ports. No change.
- I have disabled the Serial Enumerator. No change.
- I have disabled the master intencity (Ignore master intencity). No change.
- I'm not using sound to light.
- I made Custom Sliders for the Cubix 2.0 and tried with those (inside of the FreeStyler). No change, still flickering etc.
- I have not used the DMX terminator. That's next on the list [even the Enttec SW works perfectly without that].

[Edit] OS: legal Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, PC: Lenovo T61 ThinkPad.

The most mysterious thing is that the Enttec SW, both of them, will produce a clean static light, a nice movement of the motor and a steady strobe. But when changing to the FreeStyler (the Enttec SW was closed before) there we are again, the flickering light covers the wall.

This must be something silly, but I can't figure it out.

Any hint what to do next?

- Skipper
Last edited by Skipper on October 15th, 2017, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skipper
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: Mysterious flickering with Enttec DMXUSB PRO (SOLVED)

Post by Skipper »

I did it myself ;)

By wasting hours and hours going through different settings I found out that settings were incorrect. From the FreeStyler Setup menu / FreeStyler Setup I found out that the Universe 1 and Universe 2 were both using the Enttec PRO / DMX USB PRO as output. By changing the Universe 2 to a Virtual Interface the flickering was gone.

I didn't know I'm using Universe 2 too. Maybe I'm not, but it's sending anyhow something that disturbs the one output I have.

Now it's time to start to plan the sequences and ques. By hunting this, I have learned a lot how the Chauvet Cubix 2.0 lights look like. It's quite a lot easier to start planning the sequences. :fs:

- Skipper
Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: Mysterious flickering with Enttec DMXUSB PRO (SOLVED)

Post by Rod_Horning »

Thank you for sharing the solution.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”