These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Sending DMX data from Freestyler to another software one the same computer

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
clantogw
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Sending DMX data from Freestyler to another software one the same computer

Post by clantogw »

It seems like this should be easy to do but I cannot find any instructions online.

I am currently using a GUS electronics DMX box to control a few moving heads and strobes with FreestylerDMX. I trigger my scenes with a Korg Nano midi controller. All of this is working excellently, and i don't want to have to change anything as i have used many dozens of hours tediously programming my scenes.

I have a projector with visuals that I use, but to tighten up the show I would like to trigger the videos on and off in perfect time with my DMX scenes.

Lets assume I have video software that allows video cueing to be controlled via DMX signal (e.g. RESOLUME ARENA)
I would like to send DMX data from Freestyler to Resolume Arena. I figured I could use Universe 2 in Freestyler to send data to the "Virtual DMX" device, and Resolume could detect "Virtual DMX" as a DMX input, great!! Only I just now discovered after some reading that Freestyler's "Virtual DMX" doesn't function that way, and only is there to allow you to use the program without a physical DMX device connected.

Is there any software that would function as a "Virtual DMX device" or a "DMX loopback" so I can send DMX data from Freestyler and RECEIVE that DMX data in another software on the SAME COMPUTER?

I have already considered these options:
1. Use ART-NET on Universe 2 to send the DMX data to Windows Loopback Adapter, then use set up Art-Net in Resolume to receive the DMX data input. I thought this was my brilliant solution BUT Resolume does not support the Loopback Adapter :oops: :oops: :oops: It is a limitation of the software. According to their support forums, they do not know how to integrate this function. :arrow: Does anyone know of a Video cueing software that DOES support ART-NET via the Windows Loopback Adapter? That could be my solution!

2. Make a dedicated Raspberry Pi video player that has a DMX input. This can be done, but I don't like it because there are more things to break/lose/go wrong during my show. Plus there is the expense and I've heard its very time consuming and annoying to set up the software to do this.

3. Setup Resolume to trigger the videos via MIDI, and the video would start at the same time I MIDI-trigger my Freestyler scene to start. Then I could make a video the same length as my Freestyler DMX scene, and place the videos in time where I want them to show, and use a black screen when I don't want any video to show. I think that this will work, but I want to be able to edit my show without having to go back and edit the video each time. I think it would be much more nimble and effective if I could treat the video just the same as I would any other DMX fixture.

I have thought about this a lot, I hope that someone smarter than me can give me some good advice here! Thank you!
:fs:

Return to “FreeStyler Software”