These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

lights won't go off, with saved everything off sequence

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
perrip
Commited FS Forum helper
FreeStyler Version: 4.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

lights won't go off, with saved everything off sequence

Post by perrip »

so sorry for such a stupid question, just hoping someone could help me. this is for running lights in the cue, So I make a sequence with a bunch of steps and play it. Then I make a one step sequence with everything off, save it and put it in the cue. basically I want a one step sequence with all the lights off. I know there are a bunch of ways to shut all the lights off. but if I can't figure this out in a sequence step, it leaves me limited for a lot of other things. I then play the sequence right after the multi step one one with everything on and working great. and nothing goes off, just stops on the step of the sequence step that was playing before. What am I doing wrong?, thanks so much for helping me.
Paul

Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: lights won't go off, with saved everything off sequence

Post by Partyman »

The only problem with using a sequence to turn everything off is that Override buttons are exactly what they are called and override everything else except Blackout. If you have an Override active then your "all off" sequence will not affect it. The best way is to make sure you have a lamp channel in every fixture so that the blackout function can work properly. Also most fixtures built in macros do not work with the lamp channels either so when you create your "all off" sequence you must remember to zero the macro channels.
Rusty
perrip
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by perrip »

Hey thanks so much for your reply, the reason, I wanted a sequence to re "0" everything, is that in the past, I have had problems in my cues when switching from one to the other. and lights that I had on in one cue stayed on in the next, and I wanted it off. I was hoping when programming the sequences, if I could start with everything set back to 0 for each new sequence that I made that would not happen. I think when setting up sequences I am doing something inherently wrong, and I think it has something to do with the snap, fade, off option that I am not doing right. What I really need is that if I set up a sequence and play it, everything is just as I set up, no carryover from the last sequence I played. (I am sure there is a benefit to overlapping, I just need to get this basic step down)
Thanks so much for your help
Paul
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

A light does not know to turn off or anything unless you tell it to. If you do not want any carry over then you should make sure that every channel in every sequence is either snap or fade. If you leave it red then it is gonna allow carry over actions. How many fixture types are you working with?
perrip
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by perrip »

Man, very interesting, I don't know how I never learned that, is there an easy way to make that happen? most of my sequences have only about 3 fixture types, but I have 5 groups of 4 pars, and 2 groups of moving heads, all groups on different channels, and then for some scenes there can be as many as 6 fixtures.
Thanks so much for continuing to help me!
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

You are making your work flow much harder by incorporating all of your fixtures into each sequence. You will be much better served by using the Submasters or by my preferred way which is using Cuelists. I know at this point it may seem like a lot more work but believe me that in the long run you will be much happier with the diversity of your show.
Build each sequence with only 1 fixture or fixture group at a time, then stack them and have them all run at the same time. You can then fire off up to 20 sequences with the press of a cuelist button. You can then mix match swap or do whatever you want when creating cuelists. I advise that in every cuelist you have an action for every fixture or fixture group even if that action is "off"
perrip
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by perrip »

Thanks, i really appreciate the feedback, I had a feeling I have been doing it wrong. Thanks as well for your responses, you are clearly and expert, and know how to explain it. I have tried some submasters, but I think I over complicated them and the cues by your description I am going to read the wiki on cuelists, try it out, and I have a feeling after that I will have some questions, hope that is ok.
thanks again!
perrip
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by perrip »

Hey thanks so much for helping me with this, I have been working with Cuelists and submasters to do as you suggested, and I have a couple questions. When setting up a sequence for a single fixture say a Par that is RGB, and you want it red, do you set snap or fade on the green and blue?, and every fixture that you are not building has to be 0 right? When you build sequences with one fixture a time to be put in submasters and cuelists. Do you do just one step sequences? or multi step sequences?. If I just go from one Cluelist to another, I feel like I have limited control, you can't fade in and out of cluelists it seems, (or can you?). I really want to get away from a board, and I am sure freestlyer will be better, building up cuelists with a bunch of single sequences makes a ton of sense for flexibility and the long term. I just need to figure out some basics. I do the lights for band performances, how would I set something up in a cuelist or submaster as simple as starting out dark, fading in and out off a couple scenes, quickly flashing scenes no fade (like tap sync) and then fading dark. So sorry for all the questions, if you don't feel like responding I totally understand
Partyman
FS is my life

Post by Partyman »

If you wanted your par can red then you would set them all to snap but have green and blue at 0 value. The only time you use fade is if you want a slow transition from 1 step to another. You can set some scenes with steps and some not depending what look you are going for. You can build chases then have them react different depending on settings in the cue window: Tap, Sound, loop,... Meaning the same chase can act different in different cuelist. As you build your cuelists you can always make changes then resave. As you start getting a grasp on how you are creating your show you will learn the depth of Freestyler. THEN we can get you setup with a midi controller to run all your stuff with ease
perrip
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by perrip »

Thanks so much Partyman you have been very helpful, I guess I need to just start trying out a bunch of stuff. Thanks again!

Return to “FreeStyler Software”