These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Sequence number and midi

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Dobly
Just started using FS
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Sequence number and midi

Post by Dobly »

Following this excellent video on YouTube I was able to get sequences to fire via Reaper through a track with midi notes.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMv4qtCXhhY[/youtube]

In that video he selects the Note In box on the Start Sequence 1 event, then get Reaper to loop over say C3 and then back in Freestyler hit the learn button.

Here is a shot of the screen I am talking about.

That is it in a nutshell. The video explains it better than me.

But my question is this... How do I set what Sequence 1 is? How do I set Sequence 2?

Say I have created 50 sequences, but I only want sequences 25 to 35 to be fired via midi. How do I make the midi window set my sequence 25 in the 'Start Sequence 1' box?

Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: Sequence number and midi

Post by Jan_K »

It is only the 20 sequences loaded into the CUE panel you can control this way.
/Jan
Dobly
Just started using FS

Post by Dobly »

Great and thanks Jan.. And it's the order they appear in the Cue that determines Sequence 1, 2 and so on.

Something I just worked out that someone reading this might not know, you left click and drag on the sequence name in the Cue window to move it to a different position.

Shame it is limited to 20, considering a midi implementation can have 127 notes. Even 77 or so like on a piano roll would be better. Why 20?

Thanks again Jan.
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

I don't know your application but normally you group the sequence in a cue list and then you use the cue list in the submaster.

It could be example all color sequences on front truss in one cue list.
The submaster then shift the color into the cue panel on example sequence 4.
This gives that not more than max 20 sequences are running at the same time.

There are more info on the wiki.

/Jan
Dobly
Just started using FS

Post by Dobly »

Submaster eh? Thanks again for the tip. I'm been at Freestyler only a week or so and have much to learn.
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

Dobly
Just started using FS

Post by Dobly »

Thanks again Jan. I can see have much to learn.

I read the Submaster chapter and I can't see how this will help.

From what I read you can set up a Submaster to control various functions of your fixtures that you can then later mix and match. Very handy of you are standing at your laptop controlling a show. It went on to say that if you find a setting you like you can open it in the Cue and from there, 'save this as a one cue-button. '.

So regardless of how many times I do this, the external midi implementation window still only has 20 Start Sequence spots. I can't see how setting up a Submaster will change that. Or am I missing something?
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

Well you normally don't have 20 sequences running at the same time.
(20 things happening at the same time)

you have created 50 sequences
You will have no 1, 2, 5, 12, and 42 running at the same time.

Normally some of you sequences are related.
Example.
Color on front truss is in sequence 1 = red, 2 = blue, 3= green.
Group them in on cue list and save, add them to submaster 1

Shutter, turning them on / off in pattern, Shutter sequence 42= pattern 1, 43= pattern 2, 44= pattern 3 ...
Group them in on cue list and save, add them to submaster 2

Submaster can now be used to push the color into cue panel, row1 and Shutter into cue panel row 2.

You don't want to run the red and the blue sequence at the same time as they control the same lamps.
So only one color and one shutter sequence is active on the front truss at the same time

If you are running 50 sequences at the same time then it is a totally other type of gear you are looking at and my guess is that you then have more than 100 movingheads running.
(I may be wrong)
Dobly
Just started using FS

Post by Dobly »

Yes you are wrong ;)

I have not created 50 sequences. I was using that as an example. I stopped at 20 as that that seems to be a limitation of the software.

I only have 18 led lights and I'm putting together a light show for my band. Each sequence has one step. For example sequence 1 might be RED with a bit of white with all the lights at 100% which lights up the stage with red/pink. . Sequence 2 might be red and white with most of the lights at 50% except for the lights on one of the singers when a verse starts. Sequence 3 the same again with all the singers lit up.

This and a few more 'red' scenes and I have used 6 of my 20 sequences. Now I do the same for a yellow and orange theme, then that's it. I have one or two sequences left and throw in a couple of random scenes with all the lights flashing different colors.

Only 1 will run at a time.

There will be nobody standing at this laptop controlling it. The DAW Reaper will control the lights via midi.
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

Okay I see your issue.

I don't know what will work for you but here is a suggestion.

If you create cue lists with only the sequence that are to run and then add these cues to the buttons on the right side of the cue panel.
These buttons will launch a whole cue list at the time.
I think there are 16 * 6 buttons and these can be controlled from the midi

(The buttons named default, Opening, Fan Scene ... )
https://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/ ... k:cue_list
Dobly
Just started using FS

Post by Dobly »

You might be onto something Jan.. If i can change cue lists via midi then I can have more than enough sequences. I could have a whole cue list of Red, one of Orange, One of Blue and so on.

I'll let you know how I go. I'll not be back in the lights for a few days.
Dobly
Just started using FS

Post by Dobly »

I could not wait to find out so I fired it all tonight. It works!!

Thanks Jan_k.

Here is what I did (with a question at the end) :)

First I added a few saved sequences to the cue. Then save the first cue as 'Test'.

Then I cleared it, added a few other sequences and saved that as 'Tests2'.

Then I hit the Open Cue button and dragged Test to the first button on the right and Test2 to the 2nd button.

Done, it looked like this when done.

Next I ran Reaper and got it looping over a note down around C2, then again with C#2. Each time telling the Toggle Cuelist 1 and Toggle Cuelist 2 to learn these notes.

All good to a point.

The minor issue is that when you jump from one cuelist to another, it activates EVERY sequence that cue list. Of course my lights can't run All the sequences at once so what it seems to be doing is running them all but displaying the last one.

I'd like to change the cuelist and NOT have any sequence run. Is this possible? If not I'll just make a black all off sequence and put it in the 20th spot at the bottom of the cue.
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

That is the idea behind the CUE.

Example:
sequence 1: fade in the light on the lead guitar
sequence 2: fade out the light on the drummer
sequence 3: fade out the light on the keyboard
sequence 4: move the movingheade in blinding position
sequence 5: set the moving heads to strobe

When you click the cue button then all of this will happen as all sequences starts.
And you have a all lights set as listed above.

My guess is that all you sequences are setting the same lights and then the last sequence in the list is the one it stops at.

Either you need only to have one sequence in each cue list which you can activate individually or you need to split the light so it is a bit like the list above.

/Jan

Return to “FreeStyler Software”